HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Feb 22, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #1,247 of 1,984
I am also still really interested in this player (the red version).
Can anyone comment on how good the "regular" Bluetooth sound quality is? For example, compared to something like the Btr5 or XDSD?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #1,248 of 1,984
I am also still really interested in this player (the red version).
Can anyone comment on how good the "regular" Bluetooth sound quality is? For example, compared to something like the Btr5 or XDSD?

Regular BT is not as good as my CEntrance BlueDAC, but LDHC with the App was better. Haven't used BT in a while though. Only just got the BTR5 so don't know about that yet.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #1,249 of 1,984
Regular BT is not as good as my CEntrance BlueDAC, but LDHC with the App was better. Haven't used BT in a while though. Only just got the BTR5 so don't know about that yet.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Actually I had the chance to test both players (black and red) at E-Earphone today, also comparing it to BTR5 and XDSD in BT-Mode. I have never heard BlueDAC, but compared to Fiio and iFi regular BT on the Hifiman had comparable quality, maybe sounding a bit warmer and slightly bassier than both. I agree quality was better when using the App playing files stored on my phone. Unfortunately the App did not let me log in into Spotify...which was weird. And playing a high res file from the SD card: Wow - that sounded REALLY good.

I am fascinated by this player since I am still looking for a great sounding solution to wirelessly connect to all of my sources - but the buggy app scared me a bit. I am wondering how long Hifiman is going to support it?

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,250 of 1,984
Can maybe some more owners comment on the app? I once more played with it (for 5 minutes in a headphone shop) and it seemed super buggy? I tried out Tidal this time, which at least worked (unlike Spotify) - but it would not give me the option to search music after “artists”, only “album” and “title”... is that normal?

to me, the whole point of this player would be to use it to stream content via high res Bluetooth, as it is also marketed. Otherwise it would not make much sense to spend so much on a player with such a rudimentary interface (did I get it right that there is no way to create playlists or fast forward songs?)?

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,251 of 1,984
Can maybe some more owners comment on the app? I once more played with it (for 5 minutes in a headphone shop) and it seemed super buggy? I tried out Tidal this time, which at least worked (unlike Spotify) - but it would not give me the option to search music after “artists”, only “album” and “title”... is that normal?

to me, the whole point of this player would be to use it to stream content via high res Bluetooth, as it is also marketed. Otherwise it would not make much sense to spend so much on a player with such a rudimentary interface (did I get it right that there is no way to create playlists or fast forward songs?)?
Think its main feature is its sound .

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #1,252 of 1,984
Think its main feature is its sound .
Hahaha....I get you! :)
But honestly, I really liked its sound and it has some special taste to it, but I did not find it “better” than other (more featured) DAPs in this (high) price range, just different.

But if the App works - this would be exactly the kind of device I am looking for. Nobody here who can write a bit about his experience with the App?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #1,253 of 1,984

I didn't try Tidal or Spotify, I keep all my music locally. I can search music by artist, album or title without any problems, as long as all the id3 tags are intact, in both the App and the player itself. Also the fast forwarding works fine in the App, similar as in the built-in iOS player. Without an App the player also has some simple fast forwarding when holding "Down": it's like 4x speed and not progressive. Never used playlists in my life.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #1,254 of 1,984
I didn't try Tidal or Spotify, I keep all my music locally. I can search music by artist, album or title without any problems, as long as all the id3 tags are intact, in both the App and the player itself. Also the fast forwarding works fine in the App, similar as in the built-in iOS player. Without an App the player also has some simple fast forwarding when holding "Down": it's like 4x speed and not progressive. Never used playlists in my life.
By “keep music locally” you mean on SD card on the player? So you can also control your music on the player with the app on your phone, too (if so, I did not know)? I thought the App is only to stream content from your phone to the player?

And by you can “search by artist” on the app, you mean while accessing music on your phone (it was missing while accessing Tidal in my case)?

And what are id3 tags? That is only for music on SD card, right?

Sorry, I am a bit confused to which usage scenario your answers relate to?

Thanks a lot for your answers anyway! :)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #1,255 of 1,984
By “keep music locally” you mean on SD card on the player? So you can also control your music on the player with the app on your phone?

And by you can “search by artist” on the app, you mean while accessing music on your phone (it was missing while accessing Tidal in my case)?

And what are id3 tags? That is only for music on SD card, right?
Yes, I have all of my music on SD card in the player. Some of the music I also have in built-in memory of my phone, and I can play only this music through Bluetooth streaming in the app. All of the music on my phone is nicely sorted in the App. All the music on SD card is also nicely sorted in the R2R2k, although I always play by folder when using the player directly. You cannot access SD card of the player through the App, as far as I know. If I am not wrong HiBy has an app that can do that, but I never used anything like that.

Id3 tag is metadata stored inside each of your audio files that contains Artist name, Album name, Track name, Year, Genre, etc. - that's where all the music players read this information from. And yes that's only important if you store your music on SD card or in built-in phone memory.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #1,256 of 1,984
Yes, I have all of my music on SD card in the player. Some of the music I also have in built-in memory of my phone, and I can play only this music through Bluetooth streaming in the app. All of the music on my phone is nicely sorted in the App. All the music on SD card is also nicely sorted in the R2R2k, although I always play by folder when using the player directly. You cannot access SD card of the player through the App, as far as I know. If I am not wrong HiBy has an app that can do that, but I never used anything like that.

Id3 tag is metadata stored inside each of your audio files that contains Artist name, Album name, Track name, Year, Genre, etc. - that's where all the music players read this information from. And yes that's only important if you store your music on SD card or in built-in phone memory.

Cool, thanks a lot for making it clear! These informations already help a lot! :)

Just I still would love to know how reliable High Res Tidal and Spotify streaming is and if Hifiman keeps on improving this method, because- again - this is how they promote the player and would be an important usage scenario for me. Because if I spend a 1000 Dollar on the red one and it does not work properly (like in my short 5 minute try) or is not supported anymore in 1 year - this would be a 1000 Dollar spend too much:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,258 of 1,984
Still loving my r2r2k, but what happened to hm1000?
Was wondering the same! I guess they first need to improve the software implementation- because it will be necessary without screen.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #1,259 of 1,984
That is for R2R2000 as the site stated.

It apparently is a cables that take 4.4 balanced out and output into Single ended RCA output, which is against many technical info that I have known.

I would advise everyone to never use any cables that take Balanced out and merged it into single ended at the other ends.
Would it be possible to do the reverse, as in RCA out into 4.4mm in? Is it safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back