HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,201 of 1,984
I am probably the only one at the moment who owns the Tera-Player woody 2020 model.
I have tried the R2R2000 and 1Z before. None of them really impressed me. In the end all sounded digital to me.
The Tera-Player is the only one that really impressed me with organic sound with very black background and analogue like sound. You will get lost in the music if you listen for hours. No fatigue whatsoever.
If you want to find out more, come to the dedicated thread :)
Are you a robot , sales man or both ? Seems for years you pop into every thread pushing the Tera by putting down the gear the thread was created for.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,202 of 1,984
I'm finding the R2R2000 Red skips the very beginning of every song on me. Is there a way to fix this or is there a work around? something like adding just the right amount of silence to the beginning of every track?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,203 of 1,984
I'm finding the R2R2000 Red skips the very beginning of every song on me. Is there a way to fix this or is there a work around? something like adding just the right amount of silence to the beginning of every track?
I never experienced that.

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,204 of 1,984
I never experienced that.
Same here, perhaps you should try another version of the FW to see if the issue is related. If not you may need to send it back for repair or swap to another device.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #1,205 of 1,984
I am probably the only one at the moment who owns the Tera-Player woody 2020 model.
I have tried the R2R2000 and 1Z before. None of them really impressed me. In the end all sounded digital to me.
The Tera-Player is the only one that really impressed me with organic sound with very black background and analogue like sound. You will get lost in the music if you listen for hours. No fatigue whatsoever.
If you want to find out more, come to the dedicated thread :)

It's interesting and I mean no disrespect but I have some doubt as to how can the wood addition to the TP would make such a big difference. It would be great if there is any other technical or software improvement that it be clarified. Also in all fairness i believe it is key to bear in mind that most of the SQ relates to the IEMs or Headphones which are used and the synergy between them and the DAP. I know people say TP sounds great with Porta Pro and I agree with this but the results are clearly much better to me when using IEMs like U18t or FW10000 and it's relevant to compare how various DAPs sound on the same IEMs.

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #1,206 of 1,984
Comparing Hifiman R2R2K Red with Chord Mojo:
similar resolution so far, Red has deeper soundstage and but also more forward vocals. I get an almost ASMR type of feeling with some tracks, with the forward instruments/vocals being really close, where I can feel lips moving or trumpets coughing. Treble on the Red is really smooth and there seems to be cutbacks on energy in the 2-6k region, though I'm not skilled enough to tell. However, despite the Red being smoother, it also has better PRaT than the Mojo, probably due to its tighter bass response, that sounds a little too fast at times.

So far, I'm immensely satisfied with the Red's sound considering its tiny size. Haven't had a chance to test out battery life yet, but I'm not usually one to listen to music for too long.

IEMS: A12t

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,207 of 1,984
The only comparison which is relevant is SQ because for the UI and weight/size of the device they are too different to compare. Overall 1Z has a very pleasant sound no matter what you play on it, most of the time relaxing and it is the device which I can use for the longest time. R2R2K has a stronger presence and weight to its sound, it's more impressive to me in term of SQ, not necessarily the details but how engaging it is especially on drums and bass impact. TP has an excellent SQ more transparent than 1Z or R2R2K, in my opinion TP as good as R2RK despite maybe a smaller soundstage. TP has a blacker background than R2R2K. Overall if I could keep only one device I would probably be 1Z just for the fact it's very relaxing and convenient to use while still having an excellent SQ.

Very nice, well balanced feedback, thanks! It looks like TP is still holding strong.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 19, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,209 of 1,984
It's interesting and I mean no disrespect but I have some doubt as to how can the wood addition to the TP would make such a big difference. It would be great if there is any other technical or software improvement that it be clarified. Also in all fairness i believe it is key to bear in mind that most of the SQ relates to the IEMs or Headphones which are used and the synergy between them and the DAP. I know people say TP sounds great with Porta Pro and I agree with this but the results are clearly much better to me when using IEMs like U18t or FW10000 and it's relevant to compare how various DAPs sound on the same IEMs.
yes the Tera is great and plays very good with some Iems and headphones, but with others is simply horrible... People sometimes forget that this tinny screen less machine costs in is woody (looks like a fragrance comercial) finish more than 3.5k, so God damne if it don't play good, but to some people looks like the Tera costs 350 euros, I only wish that this kind of forgiveness for what the Tera does not do so good (lacks power, only plays with some phones etc) would be applied to other players in the same price range, I think every TOTL player should have a "musicday" in the thread

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #1,210 of 1,984
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,211 of 1,984
yes the Tera is great and plays very good with some Iems and headphones, but with others is simply horrible... People sometimes forget that this tinny screen less machine costs in is woody (looks like a fragrance comercial) finish more than 3.5k, so God damne if it don't play good, but to some people looks like the Tera costs 350 euros, I only wish that this kind of forgiveness for what the Tera does not do so good (lacks power, only plays with some phones etc) would be applied to other players in the same price range, I think every TOTL player should have a "musicday" in the thread
The Tera-Player woody is the best music player for me and I have owned quite few and tried even more.
And the firmware is perfect, no need to chase all the time for new firmware to solve the existing bugs:)

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #1,213 of 1,984
that is your opinion, I respect that, but not mine by far
Funny this is a Hifiman thread and this dude again pushing his Tera Player. Hes on every thread for years pushing it.

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #1,214 of 1,984

Exactly! I get so many questions from my readers if one dap is better than the other based on sound quality alone. Many fail to realize it will heavily depend on pair up synergy with specific IEMs (especially dealing with lower impedance and/or higher sensitivity) or full size headphones (more demanding high impedance DDs or some planars that crave a good current source).

Btw, I'm a bit surprised you find TP to pair up well with U18t. I never heard TP, but its output impedance is >10ohms and U18t doesn't have LID tech. This can cause some issues with FR response if used without iematch (from my experience with hiby R6 dap). I'm still curious to try TP one day, but no display, high output impedance, and wav only playback format are kind of off putting.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,215 of 1,984
Exactly! I get so many questions from my readers if one dap is better than the other based on sound quality alone. Many fail to realize it will heavily depend on pair up synergy with specific IEMs (especially dealing with lower impedance and/or higher sensitivity) or full size headphones (more demanding high impedance DDs or some planars that crave a good current source).

Btw, I'm a bit surprised you find TP to pair up well with U18t. I never heard TP, but its output impedance is >10ohms and U18t doesn't have LID tech. This can cause some issues with FR response if used without iematch (from my experience with hiby R6 dap). I'm still curious to try TP one day, but no display, high output impedance, and wav only playback format are kind of off putting.

Thanks, i find it good with U18t but I use Iematch from ifi. Indeed it's also a matter of cable and tips. The only potential issue is it is a bit on the bright side sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back