HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Jan 2, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #1,187 of 1,984
Dear fellow r2r2k user, I want to buy a 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect for an amp that I bought, do we know if R2R2K uses the 5 pin of the 4.4mm balance design or is it like WM1A where it needs the 3.5mm plug to be grounded?

Many thanks.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,189 of 1,984
Jan 7, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,192 of 1,984
How does this compare against the Chord Hugo 2?

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,193 of 1,984
Being indifferent to consumer's needs is a sure way to ruin the business. Just as in AK insisting on thin 2.5mm jack plus dummy EQ, not sure why HFM insists on no physical buttons operation
with less than functional App. R2R2K could have been a perfect device to reckon with but their newer HM1000 appears to be also taking the same route..

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #1,194 of 1,984
Being indifferent to consumer's needs is a sure way to ruin the business. Just as in AK insisting on thin 2.5mm jack plus dummy EQ, not sure why HFM insists on no physical buttons operation
with less than functional App. R2R2K could have been a perfect device to reckon with but their newer HM1000 appears to be also taking the same route..
We will soon celebrate 6 months anniversary of the latest beta FW version for R2R2K and no hint of what or what may not be covered in subsequent release (if any) despite suggestions for improvements being provided for a much longer period (actual favorite support function and LDAC support for instance). That's very unfortunate and as much as I want to try HM1000 for its sound, this is the type of situation with R2R2K that's a real deterrent. Agreed Hifiman will never be on par with brands such as Sony or Lotoo for FW updates and content but still they were able to deliver much better support under their previous line of Dap.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #1,195 of 1,984
We will soon celebrate 6 months anniversary of the latest beta FW version for R2R2K and no hint of what or what may not be covered in subsequent release (if any) despite suggestions for improvements being provided for a much longer period (actual favorite support function and LDAC support for instance). That's very unfortunate and as much as I want to try HM1000 for its sound, this is the type of situation with R2R2K that's a real deterrent. Agreed Hifiman will never be on par with brands such as Sony or Lotoo for FW updates and content but still they were able to deliver much better support under their previous line of Dap.

You stated well. I actually like HFM's hardware, especially its cute form factor, except 'no physical control button' but let's face it, they suck big time on software side.
It would be a miracle it they can make HM1000 operate flawlessly from your mobile phone...

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,196 of 1,984

As a manufacturer, all we can say is that FW upgrades can take A WHILE to work as intended.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 10, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,197 of 1,984
I've tried almost all the bluetooth receivers out there, including the new Oriolus 1798, which I looked forward to due to its 4.4mm receiver. I have to say, R2R2000 sounds a lot better than all the Bluetooth receivers I've tried.

I'm looking forward to android 10, which will enable HWA codec. I bought a second hand r2r2000 at a reasonably good price.

I will test the new walkman hopefully today, the NW-ZX500. Sony house sound is warm and soft-sounding, that is my main issue with it, that my past walkman either sounded soft, or harsh. This is an issue I never experienced with r2r2k.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,198 of 1,984
Difficult to compare and better sounding is subjective. I think R2R2K has more natural but less smooth sound than 1Z but it really depends on the cable / iems combo you use. Currently my favorite is 1Z 3.02 FW+ labkable titan ag + FW10000.

Subjectively, how would you compare your Altmann Tera Player to your R2R2K and 1Z?

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,199 of 1,984
Subjectively, how would you compare your Altmann Tera Player to your R2R2K and 1Z?
The only comparison which is relevant is SQ because for the UI and weight/size of the device they are too different to compare. Overall 1Z has a very pleasant sound no matter what you play on it, most of the time relaxing and it is the device which I can use for the longest time. R2R2K has a stronger presence and weight to its sound, it's more impressive to me in term of SQ, not necessarily the details but how engaging it is especially on drums and bass impact. TP has an excellent SQ more transparent than 1Z or R2R2K, in my opinion TP as good as R2RK despite maybe a smaller soundstage. TP has a blacker background than R2R2K. Overall if I could keep only one device I would probably be 1Z just for the fact it's very relaxing and convenient to use while still having an excellent SQ.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,200 of 1,984
I am probably the only one at the moment who owns the Tera-Player woody 2020 model.
I have tried the R2R2000 and 1Z before. None of them really impressed me. In the end all sounded digital to me.
The Tera-Player is the only one that really impressed me with organic sound with very black background and analogue like sound. You will get lost in the music if you listen for hours. No fatigue whatsoever.
If you want to find out more, come to the dedicated thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back