HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Jul 28, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,741 of 1,984
Poets of the Fall - Signs of Life
1627517423110.png

Beautifully reproduced on R2R2K, so very intimate...

Q-6

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,742 of 1,984
I got the very last R2R2000 Red from Moon Audio and have been trying to use it with the 400GB Micro SD card I use in my Fiio M15 but have been having all kinds of trouble...

Straight from the M15 to the R2R2000, it worked. I could only view the music on it via the Browse Folders option (I just got an empty screen--no warnings--when trying to view Artists, Albums, or genres) but it played songs.

Today, I decided to clean up that SD card and remove a bunch of stuff I didn't want to deal with and just simplify what I'm taking with me, hoping to be able to take advantage of the Artists, Albums, and Genres browsing options. I formatted the card via my Mac, choosing FAT32 as the format and grabbed one artist folder (all 16-bit FLAC files), and moved it into a new "Music" directory at the top-level of the SD card.

The scan took a few seconds and now when I go to browse by folder, I get shown a blank screen. If I try to browse by artist, album, or genre, I get a message on the following screen stating "No music file!"

I moved the artist directory to the top-level of the SD card, rescanned, and got the exact same behavior. This thing is apparently incapable of recognizing files on the SD card. I'm currently trying to move over a few more artists and albums with the player plugged into my Mac as a USB storage device to see but don't really have much hope.

Am I doing something wrong? I've been trying to find anyone in this thread or on the internet at large that had this same problem and I'm apparently the only one who has. I know this only technically supports up to 256GB cards but it reads this one no problem (or it did anyway) and I swear I saw others posting in here that they had no trouble with a 400GB card. I've also downloaded and looked through the product manual but there is nothing I'm seeing about any requirements or tricks for structuring files on the SD card.

The little bit I listened to this last night with my ZMF Atticus and ZMF Verite C was phenomenal. A clear step up from the M15. I really want to use this and am willing to suffer the awful OS and its apparent inability to sort files by file name because it sounds this good, but if it won't read any files from the installed SD card, it's worthless.

EDIT: Welp, I found a 2GB Micro SD card laying around and quick formatted it and added some music to it. The DAP sees everything just fine and correctly shows me the artist, album, and genre information as well as the directories so it must be due to the 400GB Micro SD card after all. Guess I'll grab a 256GB from Best Buy so I can start using this...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,743 of 1,984
I got the very last R2R2000 Red from Moon Audio and have been trying to use it with the 400GB Micro SD card I use in my Fiio M15 but have been having all kinds of trouble...

Straight from the M15 to the R2R2000, it worked. I could only view the music on it via the Browse Folders option (I just got an empty screen--no warnings--when trying to view Artists, Albums, or genres) but it played songs.

Today, I decided to clean up that SD card and remove a bunch of stuff I didn't want to deal with and just simplify what I'm taking with me, hoping to be able to take advantage of the Artists, Albums, and Genres browsing options. I formatted the card via my Mac, choosing FAT32 as the format and grabbed one artist folder (all 16-bit FLAC files), and moved it into a new "Music" directory at the top-level of the SD card.

The scan took a few seconds and now when I go to browse by folder, I get shown a blank screen. If I try to browse by artist, album, or genre, I get a message on the following screen stating "No music file!"

I moved the artist directory to the top-level of the SD card, rescanned, and got the exact same behavior. This thing is apparently incapable of recognizing files on the SD card. I'm currently trying to move over a few more artists and albums with the player plugged into my Mac as a USB storage device to see but don't really have much hope.

Am I doing something wrong? I've been trying to find anyone in this thread or on the internet at large that had this same problem and I'm apparently the only one who has. I know this only technically supports up to 256GB cards but it reads this one no problem (or it did anyway) and I swear I saw others posting in here that they had no trouble with a 400GB card. I've also downloaded and looked through the product manual but there is nothing I'm seeing about any requirements or tricks for structuring files on the SD card.

The little bit I listened to this last night with my ZMF Atticus and ZMF Verite C was phenomenal. A clear step up from the M15. I really want to use this and am willing to suffer the awful OS and its apparent inability to sort files by file name because it sounds this good, but if it won't read any files from the installed SD card, it's worthless.

EDIT: Welp, I found a 2GB Micro SD card laying around and quick formatted it and added some music to it. The DAP sees everything just fine and correctly shows me the artist, album, and genre information as well as the directories so it must be due to the 400GB Micro SD card after all. Guess I'll grab a 256GB from Best Buy so I can start using this...
Remove the album art from the files as that may help, but 256 is the limit officially. Might get lucky with different brand or size of SD Card.

Q-6

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,744 of 1,984
Remove the album art from the files as that may help, but 256 is the limit officially. Might get lucky with different brand or size of SD Card.

Q-6
I think I'm going to skip using this as a stand-alone DAP because it's just a nightmare. No playlists, seemingly no ability to sort songs by title (why the hell doesn't it do it alphabetically by default? What IS the default sort order?) means this is going to be an exercise in endless frustration. Using my OnePlus 7T as the "remote" with the DAC in USB dac mode seems to be working fine. Just sucks that there's no way to charge the phone and use this at the same time and means I have to carry around extra stuff, but it works. I'll move the 400GB card to my phone and will use that when off-network and Roon is not available.

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,745 of 1,984
Yeah the R2R2K is very basic in operation. I sort all my albums on the computer then transfer to the player, mostly browse by folder and the tracks remain in the correct album order. I only use my own R2R2K as a standalone DAP and it works for me, or maybe I'm just used to it :)

I also have separate folders on the computer for the R2R2K as you need to manage the metadata a little differently i.e. stripping out album art and other data the DAP's SW isn't programmed to read. Worth it? I think so as at the end of the day it's all about the music and that the R2R2K excels at.

Q-6

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #1,746 of 1,984
I’d agree with our Queen here. Using the R2R2k as a daily dap requires a change in mind set. This is a purist dap with a focus on sound, not usability. Accept that as a starting premise and it’s fine. Assume that it’s another Fiio, Sony or the like and that way lies pain,… It’s not like all the issues you raise about functionality aren’t on this very topic!

Having a big capacity card is asking for frustration - a million finger taps to navigate up and down a thousand files, urgh. Using 64 or 128gb cards - much easier. I have a caddy of about a dozen cards broken down by genre (and a latest purchases) - changing cards isn’t too problematic. It’s not like cards are so expensive now…

TBH given its reasonably short battery life when operating at full sonic beauty - 24/96, I’m not sure what would be the benefit in having a large card. You’ll top out at maybe 5 hours on a single charge, so maybe 10 albums…

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #1,747 of 1,984
anyone interested to sell their r2r2k Red (preferred US)? i would like to try.

Aug 26, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #1,748 of 1,984
Hi friends. I own r2r2000 romi mod. Dropped it from a small height. No visible except one small stretch on the body but display now doesn’t work. Dap itself with touch panel works well. I hear about hifiman app (i have iphone) - can i fully operate dap with it(settings, star/stop playing, etc)? Is there any video showing how to work with it?
And probably there are any videos(manuals) with detailed review of all menus of this dap especially bt and settings cause now I remember only how to choose folder/album and start/stop playing

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,749 of 1,984
Hi friends. I own r2r2000 romi mod. Dropped it from a small height. No visible except one small stretch on the body but display now doesn’t work. Dap itself with touch panel works well. I hear about hifiman app (i have iphone) - can i fully operate dap with it(settings, star/stop playing, etc)? Is there any video showing how to work with it?
And probably there are any videos(manuals) with detailed review of all menus of this dap especially bt and settings cause now I remember only how to choose folder/album and start/stop playing
Sorry for hear that. But the Hifiman app for iphone was removed a longtime ago. Now only has the Hifiman app for HM1000 in app store. But i hear out that the HM app for R2R2000 is still available in google play store, you can try it! Hope it useful.

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,750 of 1,984
HM app for R2R2000 is still available in google play store
I have very old asus with 4.4 android.
havent found apk in playmarket(
found on apkpure (hifiman app 1.77). Connected them. But I cant change settings via apk and after updating the library application show zeo songs/albums/etc(probably these music should be on phone? So can I operate files on dap sd-card from android app or this app can be used only like bt-streaming application for files on phone and tidal/Spotify?)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,753 of 1,984
Guess depends on where your based, I'd be looking to pay less. That said R2R2K is out of production so I can only see prices rising on the secondary market for known good units. I own the Red R2R2K, missed the boat for the Black R2R2K which was a pity as I pretty much could have picked one up at cost price.

The R2R2K's are expensive for the very limited feature set they offer (forget BT steaming), however not for the sound signature they present which is exceptional as is the build quality.

IMG_20201127_000040.jpg

R2R2K & Ananda, custom copper & silver cable...

Q-6

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #1,754 of 1,984
I got an offer of black one about 800$, that battery hifi is about 5h, do you guys thing it's worth it ?
Hey, hope that sale works out for you! If it doesn't, let me know, I'd be interested in seeing how the black version stacks up to my red.

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,755 of 1,984
Amy
1632089304615.png

This is what R2R excels at...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back