HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Mar 9, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,667 of 1,984
what do you mean by that?

also, random thought, wish there was a protective case with battery bank for r2r2k, that'd solve it's biggest issue so easily.
I mean the older official firmware releases that some may have retained. As for cases there's multiple on the thread, if in the East search Taobao, if in the West search AliExpress. Any small flat battery bank will suffice, add double sided Velcro you've a solution to a problem.

Q-6

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,668 of 1,984
Reaching out to other R2R2K owners. Anybody wiling to share firmware? As seems to me that Hifiman is done with the R2R2K with no further updates...

Q-6
I also think that HM won't release the new fw during that time. They said that They didn't have a plan to make it :frowning2: I recognize r2r2k is still the beta fw since it have been received. So sad

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,669 of 1,984
I also think that HM won't release the new fw during that time. They said that They didn't have a plan to make it :frowning2: I recognize r2r2k is still the beta fw since it have been received. So sad
True, there may be a misrepresentation of Beta, equally Hifiman has clearly opted to move on with the HM1000 of which I have no interest as it has no DAP capability. If Hifiman produces another R2R DAP I may consider equally the poor software support is very off-putting. Striking me as being lazy and unconcerned with the end user, all of which is a loss as the R2R2K does sound genuinely very good...

Q-6

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,670 of 1,984
True, there may be a misrepresentation of Beta, equally Hifiman has clearly opted to move on with the HM1000 of which I have no interest as it has no DAP capability. If Hifiman produces another R2R DAP I may consider equally the poor software support is very off-putting. Striking me as being lazy and unconcerned with the end user, all of which is a loss as the R2R2K does sound genuinely very good...

Q-6
man the software isn't even that bad. i'm genuinely still bummed about the battery lol, when it's plugged into a charging device it has a tiny hiss, first world problems i know but i really do wish it was a more complete dap. would've been a killer product, idk what hifiman is doing to be honest, they have (well, had) a goldmine in their hands and idk how they threw all that to the trash.

still love my r2r2k tho. would maybe ask a friend to make a custom battery case for it, as i want to pair it with the cayin c9 and do not want to carry 3 devices everywhere lol

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #1,671 of 1,984
man the software isn't even that bad. i'm genuinely still bummed about the battery lol, when it's plugged into a charging device it has a tiny hiss, first world problems i know but i really do wish it was a more complete dap. would've been a killer product, idk what hifiman is doing to be honest, they have (well, had) a goldmine in their hands and idk how they threw all that to the trash.

still love my r2r2k tho. would maybe ask a friend to make a custom battery case for it, as i want to pair it with the cayin c9 and do not want to carry 3 devices everywhere lol
I found that the R2R2K can be a little noisy on a mains AC charger, on a power bank mine is silent.

I would describe the current SW as adequate, however more could be done. Agree Hifiman had a unique opportunity, yet threw it aside for the sake of a little more effort. Given few if any others produces a portable R2R DAP at a remotely reasonable price.

Q-6

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #1,672 of 1,984
I mean the older official firmware releases that some may have retained. As for cases there's multiple on the thread, if in the East search Taobao, if in the West search AliExpress. Any small flat battery bank will suffice, add double sided Velcro you've a solution to a problem.

Q-6
What is the advantage of the older firmware in your opinion?

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,673 of 1,984
What is the advantage of the older firmware in your opinion?
Without access don't know :) differing tuning etc. much would depend on the feature's and stability.

Q-6

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,674 of 1,984
Without access don't know :) differing tuning etc. much would depend on the feature's and stability.

Q-6
You can read earlier in this thread that they did not change much through the firmware updates. They just added some bug fixes and the eco mode - that`s about it. Unfortunately :sweat:. Don`t think there are any advantages of the older firmware, its just buggier.

About SQ - from what I have experienced in this hobby there are only very few examples that a maker has truly changed the sound of a DAP via firmware. It has happened so many times in this forum that people stated they hear a difference after a firmware update, but then the maker itself raised its hand and negated, that this cannot be the case. So I doubt that Hifiman has changed anything here...but of course in they end only they know.

Not to say that I wouldn`t be as happy as you if there was an update! :)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,675 of 1,984
You can read earlier in this thread that they did not change much through the firmware updates. They just added some bug fixes and the eco mode - that`s about it. Unfortunately :sweat:. Don`t think there are any advantages of the older firmware, its just buggier.

About SQ - from what I have experienced in this hobby there are only very few examples that a maker has truly changed the sound of a DAP via firmware. It has happened so many times in this forum that people stated they hear a difference after a firmware update, but then the maker itself raised its hand and negated, that this cannot be the case. So I doubt that Hifiman has changed anything here...but of course in they end only they know.

Not to say that I wouldn`t be as happy as you if there was an update! :)
I don't know some have stated different, equally without access to the older FW versions it is what it is...

As for firmware, some do make for significant differnce Sony being one, and as ever you never know until you try.

Q-6

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,676 of 1,984
Time to wake up your R2R2K
1200x1200bb.jpg

Q-6

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,677 of 1,984
A quick drop since I am selling the "little Red Devil" (here) actually.

Just because I am listening mostly to my tube amp lately being @home, and it's at risk of taking dust :)

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #1,678 of 1,984
A quick drop since I am selling the "little Red Devil" (here) actually.

Just because I am listening mostly to my tube amp lately being @home, and it's at risk of taking dust :)
Wonderful pictures! ☺️👍Even though I own the unit by myself I always forget how stunning it (especially the red one) looks! I actually prefer it’s curved and minimalistic look and tiny body to the predecessor HM1000, which looks somehow bulkier imo. The R2R2000 won a design award for a reason!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,679 of 1,984
I knew it! Everytime I get excited about Hifiman products, they teach me a lesson with their QC.

Today I got an r2r2000 red directly from hifiman online store for $654. I thought it would be a great deal, but my copy has significant noise from the left channel in HIFI mode. The only way to get rid of the noise is swtiching to ECO mode - a solution that is far from ideal.

The sound is pretty good though. Even just in ECO mode, this little device can drive focal utopia for a decent listening session (I mean decent for a portable device).

Just emailed customer service to solve the problem. I'll return it if there is no good copy for a replacement. Sigh...

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #1,680 of 1,984
I knew it! Everytime I get excited about Hifiman products, they teach me a lesson with their QC.

Today I got an r2r2000 red directly from hifiman online store for $654. I thought it would be a great deal, but my copy has significant noise from the left channel in HIFI mode. The only way to get rid of the noise is swtiching to ECO mode - a solution that is far from ideal.

The sound is pretty good though. Even just in ECO mode, this little device can drive focal utopia for a decent listening session (I mean decent for a portable device).

Just emailed customer service to solve the problem. I'll return it if there is no good copy for a replacement. Sigh...
I should think that Hifiman will just replace the R2R2000 with a new model. Still remains a great sounding player, equally need to live with it's downsides; battery life, defunct BT & basic UI.

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back