= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Oct 24, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #646 of 829
To anyone who has done this mod, is there a huge difference between using the stock grills vs more open ones, even though the cloth cover is removed? I am trying to justify whether the effort is worth it. Also, does anyone by any chance have any links to the mesh that they used to replace the stock ones?

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #647 of 829
  Woah really nice! What material did you use?

Thanks! :D. I just used a 5 inches speaker grill which looks like this and flat them up. They are fairly cheap, I bought 2 pieces for $3 :D.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #648 of 829
  To anyone who has done this mod, is there a huge difference between using the stock grills vs more open ones, even though the cloth cover is removed? I am trying to justify whether the effort is worth it. Also, does anyone by any chance have any links to the mesh that they used to replace the stock ones?

I found that removing the cloth over the grills did make the headphones sound a bit more open. The stock grills without the cloth is not nearly as airy as the headphones without the grills installed. I bought a paper tray from staples to use as mesh for the grill:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Black-Wire-Mesh-Stackable-Letter-Tray-Each-11993-CC/product_827733?externalize=certona

It was a bit more expensive than I would have liked but it was enough to make 4 grills. The mesh from this tray sounds very close to the sound without the grill installed. Very airy and open sounding. I'm very happy with the improvement!

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #649 of 829

There are lots of photos, examples, and links in this thread.  Have fun 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #650 of 829
  I found that removing the cloth over the grills did make the headphones sound a bit more open. The stock grills without the cloth is not nearly as airy as the headphones without the grills installed. I bought a paper tray from staples to use as mesh for the grill:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Black-Wire-Mesh-Stackable-Letter-Tray-Each-11993-CC/product_827733?externalize=certona

It was a bit more expensive than I would have liked but it was enough to make 4 grills. The mesh from this tray sounds very close to the sound without the grill installed. Very airy and open sounding. I'm very happy with the improvement!

Oh that looks quite nice. Might I ask what you used to cut it?

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #652 of 829
I have a quick question, I removed the mounting ring and was about to take the dust filter off of the stock grill when I realized that they were stuck to each other. Is this normal? Also, if I remove it, is it a reversible process(would I be able to simply re-attach it?)

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #653 of 829
The stock grille has a cloth semi-glued on it on mine too, so I expect it's normal. I didn't take them apart because there is no good reason for it, and the cloth might be glued so hard at some places that I would rip it.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #654 of 829
  I have a quick question, I removed the mounting ring and was about to take the dust filter off of the stock grill when I realized that they were stuck to each other. Is this normal? Also, if I remove it, is it a reversible process(would I be able to simply re-attach it?)

On my 400i the dust filter was glued on but came off pretty easily. Not much force was needed and it came off cleanly. I would recommend that you leave the dust filter on the grill just in case you need to return the headphone under warranty. If they are outside of the warranty period it doesn't matter. It's easy to make a new grill that outperforms the stock grill without the dust filter.

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #655 of 829
Just finished the regrill mod and took a listen. Much more airy and open for sure. Listening to the same tracks gave a really strong impression of more spaciousness. However, there is a lot of dust in my room so I decided to revert to stock. I would much rather have it open but there is simply too much dust in my room to be able to keep it open all the time. Also, my mounting ring apparently broke (just one of the small "feet") so does anyone know how I can get a replacement of them? 

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #657 of 829
Are we supposed to take off the triangle foam bit on the inside of the driver? I already did the Audeze pad mod, and removed the grill and the fiberglass

Do you mean the quarter circle on the upper rear corner on the earpad side of the HE-6? If so, I'd recommend leaving that on.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #658 of 829
First and foremost, I want to thank Jerg for his dedication to bringing not only the regrilling mod but also the fuzzor mod to the community.  Awesome work Jerg!  Onto impressions.  Enjoy.

Pantyhose was applied for dust filter duties.  Aspects of the 'Re-grill' on my HE-500's struck me the most are:
- Mids became more diffused with softer leading edges.  Less intimate
- ^ As a result, overall presentation becomes more open.  Think less "in-studio" stage and more "live" stage.  Greater sense of space
- ^ As a result, presentation becomes more 3D.  Think less 'hallway-ish with walls on sides and more 'outdoor venue'
- Highs became more prominent (due to the diffused Mids)
- Slightly more volume required to get mids to the same volume
- Unable to detect a change in the bass response, impact or extension

Re-grill mod was followed up with 'Fuzzor' mod.  Impressions continued:
- Great black background.  Sounds come out from and disappear into thin air
- ^ Cleaner mids
- ^^ This adds to a greater sense of clarity and speed
- Tames the Re-grilled highs.  Highs gain clarity and retain extension
- Tames bass bloat (relatively speaking).  Cleaner impact with less roll.  Extension sounds the same
- Top to bottom spectrum is nicely balanced
- More volume required to drive headphone.  However, now less fatiguing at higher volume levels (twist 'er)

THE END

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #660 of 829
  Strange question I know but has anyone tried making their screens out of a non magnetic mesh like a copper alloy or aluminum? It might make a big difference, or none.

I made mine from aluminum mesh I got from an electrical supply house.  It was very thin and semi-transparent in some lighting situations:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back