= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #316 of 829
Actually, I managed to put holes in it without puncturing the dust protection.  Very easy to do.  They are attached by magic and doesn't fall off it seems.  I put honey comb shaped holes into them, doesn't look as good but it definitely helps with the ringing and resonation!

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #317 of 829
Actually, I managed to put holes in it without puncturing the dust protection.  Very easy to do.  They are attached by magic and doesn't fall off it seems.  I put honey comb shaped holes into them, doesn't look as good but it definitely helps with the ringing and resonation!

Can you post a pic of the mod?

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #318 of 829
Can you post a pic of the mod?

Maybe later.  My stupid camera is too damn picky and needs a micro SD card.  I put in my card from the X5 but it says 'please format' and I'm like "uh...no."  Guess I'm ordering another SD card haha. 

Anyway if you can imagine, I used a pair of wire snippers to snip out honeycomb shaped holes. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #319 of 829
  The new HE560 wooden cup doesn't have 4 tiny slots carved into its grill rim regions...there has to be some way of keeping the grill-retainment ring secure without having to resort to something permanent (wood glue).

Hi Jerg,

Not sure you got the final production or not. I got HE-560 this morning, and the housing is not completed wood, the outer housing is plastic and it has 4 tiny slots as the HE-500, thus the grill can be removed very easy.

However, remove the HE-560 does not improve sound like HE-500 IMO :frowning2:

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #320 of 829
Wow amazons pretty fast.  Didn't expect to get the microsd cards till tomorrow.  Anyway, here is the photo of what I did with a pair of wire cutters.  The dust fabric is still in tact.  Here is a tip if you wanna do it this way, do not cut away the outer edges of the grill because that is where the fabric is glued.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #321 of 829

Hi Jerg,

Not sure you got the final production or not. I got HE-560 this morning, and the housing is not completed wood, the outer housing is plastic and it has 4 tiny slots as the HE-500, thus the grill can be removed very easy.

However, remove the HE-560 does not improve sound like HE-500 IMO :frowning2:

My post was made back with preorder HE560s that had solid wood teak cups, the current version has standard 4-slot grill retaining ring.

It is still a considerable improvement, maybe just not as dramatic as HE500, since HE500 is fairly closed-sounding intrinsically so any mod that improves "openness" is very apparent, while HE560 is quite open-sounding already by nature.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #322 of 829
  Here is my re-grilling with a $1.50 BBQ vegetable grill.  Came out pretty good.  I may file it down some more because the retaining ring sticks out slightly where it isn't clipped in.  Because the mesh is so wide, I was able to fit the retaining ring clips in between.  Very secure and looks really nice too.  Looks better in person.

I asked my wife and she said that it looks like it was supposed to come that way!

I may put some black nylon stockings as a dust screen.  Although I may not too...I like how it looks without any dust screen.  Plus HFM said in the previous posts that they had one in their factory for years and no issues yet.

I'm also thinking of sanding all the black paint off and spray painting it red.  The earlier posts of the red grill looks so great I may make this red too.  I'll post pics if I do.

The Grill:

Close-up of the Grill prior to cutting

My stencil that I cut out of a piece of cardboard (the centre hole was already there).

Finished product!

PS - The zebra print thing you can see is a custom headband padding that my wife made up for me.  As you can see, it is very wide and has a probably an inch or more of memory foam tucked in the pouch.  A spare piece of cloth is tied lightly on the top to attach it.  Cost next to nothing and makes it very comfortable and spreads the weight out.  Plus, since it is an open pouch, when the memory foam gets flat, I can just replace it.  And no damage/curving of the stock headband.

I did the same thing for my Q701's too to cover the bumps.

This looks fantastic. I sold my HE-400s a while back but I've got another pair on the way and I think I'll try something like this. I remember messing around with my old pair by removing the grills and it made a nice difference in sound but I never took the steps to actually do the re-grill. This is appealing because it looks like it's open enough to make a difference and it's flat, which beats most of what I've been able to find locally.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #323 of 829
  My post was made back with preorder HE560s that had solid wood teak cups, the current version has standard 4-slot grill retaining ring.

It is still a considerable improvement, maybe just not as dramatic as HE500, since HE500 is fairly closed-sounding intrinsically so any mod that improves "openness" is very apparent, while HE560 is quite open-sounding already by nature.

Done regrills, closed mod next
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #324 of 829

This looks fantastic. I sold my HE-400s a while back but I've got another pair on the way and I think I'll try something like this. I remember messing around with my old pair by removing the grills and it made a nice difference in sound but I never took the steps to actually do the re-grill. This is appealing because it looks like it's open enough to make a difference and it's flat, which beats most of what I've been able to find locally.

Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  For the $1.50 and a bit of effort, it was well worth it

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #325 of 829
  Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  For the $1.50 and a bit of effort, it was well worth it

Absolutely. I went to Walmart today and tried finding a similar product. The closest thing I could find was a pack of three disposable veggie trays for putting on the grill. They didn't have much rigidity so I had to pass. The weave of the mesh was also pretty fine in comparison to what you posted. I did happen to find a couple of paint trays that looked like they'd work. They were significantly stronger than the disposable grill trays and they are more open. The only downside was that they cost a bit more. I ended up grabbing two of them just to be safe. They look big enough to be able to cut two grills out of but I wanted to make sure that I could get the cuts that I wanted. It was only $5 for the both of them so it still wasn't too bad.

There wasn't anybody working in the fabrics so I couldn't get any of the tulle mesh and I couldn't find any pre-cut packages. I'll just make the trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics tomorrow and grab some from there since it's along the way I take to and from work.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #326 of 829
Anyone got an extra pair of grills that they would be willing to send out? I'd love to try this but I just can't seem to find the right looking grill with the right rigidity!

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #327 of 829
Anyone got an extra pair of grills that they would be willing to send out? I'd love to try this but I just can't seem to find the right looking grill with the right rigidity!

+1, but he did ask first :3

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #328 of 829
From page 1 : "Key thing is to score 4 That the tabs of the thin retaining ring are at the 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, and 10:30 positions, so try your best to not burst Any Of Those tabs off When You wiggle the retaining ring out. "

I have a question, how to start removing the ring : should we start by pulling the retaining ring at the places cited (1:30 etc.) or otherwise should we avoid pulling at these locations?
Thanx

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #329 of 829
  From page 1 : "Key thing is to score 4 That the tabs of the thin retaining ring are at the 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, and 10:30 positions, so try your best to not burst Any Of Those tabs off When You wiggle the retaining ring out. "

I have a question, how to start removing the ring : should we start by pulling the retaining ring at the places cited (1:30 etc.) or otherwise should we avoid pulling at these locations?
Thanx

Definitely avoid; instead, ease the rings out starting from one of the 12/3/6/9 oclock positions.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #330 of 829

Thank you Jerg, this response is very precious. It was not clear to me probably because I'm French.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back