= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #121 of 829
I used some black nylons for dust cover. I've got pics up on the previous page. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #122 of 829
Yep noticed them. I'm now inclined to go without any dust cover to be honest. I usually have it covered on the headphone stand with a cloth...I wonder if that is enough.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #123 of 829
It should be fine without, though I'm too paranoid to do so. I've found the sheer nylons to be transparent so I leave them as is. (thicker nylons do have an effect on sound)

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #124 of 829
random idea: use some sewing thread and wrap around the retention ring, then glue on the fabric. The string will provide the marginal amount of protection from errant finger pokes, while providing as little obstruction as possible. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #125 of 829
Finished my Grill mod, and I also replaced the earpad dust cover with ultra sheer pantyhose. Not bad, eh? Jerg mods next! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #127 of 829
Quote:

Where is the grill from?

I got from the dollar store. It's one of those aluminum disposable grills for a bbq. It's very thin and pliable. I just put a couple coats of flat black spraypaint on it, super-glued the pantyhose, let it dry, then i flipped it over and covered the white dry glue that dripped down with a sharpie. I did have to make some semi-circle cut-outs where the 4 prongs for the retainer ring go in so it would snap in place and thats it 
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #129 of 829
Quote:
That is some good air to grill ratio. I think hifimanrookie had something similar

Yeah i think he does, but his isnt black like mine 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #131 of 829
Aug 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #133 of 829
Quote:
Partially revised.

Christ I sucked at writing a guide back then.

While you're at it, i would recommend revising the pic of the pad sleeve you're cutting where the plastic ring goes into. I did as pictured and found it difficult to put the pad back on the ring because it kept slipping out! So it went from too tight to too loose. I would revise it to cut just barely past the holes in the ring.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #134 of 829
Quote:
While you're at it, i would recommend revising the pic of the pad sleeve you're cutting where the plastic ring goes into. I did as pictured and found it difficult to put the pad back on the ring because it kept slipping out! So it went from too tight to too loose. I would revise it to cut just barely past the holes in the ring.

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I'll add a warning in the other guide for that particular step, so future people don't get overzealous in trimming the sleeves.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #135 of 829
wow, took the grills off while listening to some acoustic rock tonight, man, so airy, almost "to much" at first. But then, you get used to it, and hold the old grills up to them, and just realize how much those stock grills hold "in" the sound.  This combined with the velour top jerpads, and im on my way to end game setup as far as my hp collection goes. That is, until i start making more money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back