= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Jul 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 829
Quote:
I am intrigued myself. I just really don't want to buy another headphone. haha

I would definitely think WJE would be interested in trying it out. For you HE-400 owners, stop be WUSSIE'S and mod 'em! 
biggrin.gif

They just need incentive, aka doing the pink noise test and hear for themselves as to how much the grills mess up the sound and soundstage... without doing the test, the mod would just look like a load of pointless effort to them, since obviously people don't trust others' impressions.

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #32 of 829
Quote:

They just need incentive, aka doing the pink noise test and hear for themselves as to how much the grills mess up the sound and soundstage... without doing the test, the mod would just look like a load of pointless effort to them, since obviously people don't trust others' impressions.

I do hope they try it out, since I obviously only rely on people's impressions

How time consuming was this?

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #33 of 829
Quote:
I do hope they try it out, since I obviously only rely on people's impressions

How time consuming was this?

Roughly cutting out the pair of meshes - 10 minutes
Trimming the pair of meshes to the size and shape of the stock grills - 10 minutes
Cutting out two pieces of fabric a bit larger than the new grill meshes - 5 minutes
Applying superglue on the meshes and then adhering the fabric onto them, plus curing time - 20 minutes
Trimming the fabric so it's in-line with the mesh circles - 5 minutes
Finishing touches and shaping of edges to fit properly - 10 minutes

So overall an hour ~ 1.5 hours.

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #34 of 829
Quote:
I would definitely think WJE would be interested in trying it out. For you HE-400 owners, stop be WUSSIE'S and mod 'em! 
biggrin.gif

Nope.  No wussie here.  I just have too much on my plate.  I have a lot of home projects lined up and finished up cleaning my A/C unit coils today.  Sadly, near the end of my work in the attic - which was about 100 (F) and I had been up there for an hour, my foot slipped on the joist and went through the drywall.  My right side of my rump hit the other joist to stop me and keep me from falling through.  Now, I have a 3' x 6' section of ceiling drywall to replace and then re-apply some blown-in insulation where the other stuff fell through the hole.  

So, for the next few months, I need to keep the headphones "as-is" and focus on the other projects.  As the summer comes to an end, I should be looking to open up some hobbies and would really consider this mod without a question.  Clearly, the waste bin mesh (which is welded together) as opposed to just woven, is what I'd prefer to use.  Jerg, did you end up buying a tin snips to cut the new, heavier material?

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 829
Quote:

Nope.  No wussie here.  I just have too much on my plate.  I have a lot of home projects lined up and finished up cleaning my A/C unit coils today.  Sadly, near the end of my work in the attic - which was about 100 (F) and I had been up there for an hour, my foot slipped on the joist and went through the drywall.  My right side of my rump hit the other joist to stop me and keep me from falling through.  Now, I have a 3' x 6' section of ceiling drywall to replace and then re-apply some blown-in insulation where the other stuff fell through the hole.  

So, for the next few months, I need to keep the headphones "as-is" and focus on the other projects.  As the summer comes to an end, I should be looking to open up some hobbies and would really consider this mod without a question.  Clearly, the waste bin mesh (which is welded together) as opposed to just woven, is what I'd prefer to use.  Jerg, did you end up buying a tin snips to cut the new, heavier material?

Lol nah, just used a pair of scissors and some elbow grease.

But yeah the new grill looks classy, the mesh has a scale-like pattern.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #36 of 829
My two cents why not try thin lady's leggings the color of your choice to do this mod no metal just thin fabric??

Another head scratcher is I wonder if you played around with diff pad material or pads and the such what would happen to your HE-400's sound signature ??

Mod mods mods always gets them thinking! Lol

I Willl never part with any of my orthos and how is it that my wife wants a set of the so called ugly heavy headphones?? Lol go figure..

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #37 of 829
Is the difference in sound signature really better than the stock HE-500 - or is it the well known "my DIY mod sounds so good" that is playing here? Honest question from a curious HE-500 owner. :)

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #38 of 829
Quote:
Nice to see someone else actually trying mods on the HE-400's to get alil more ot of em..My two cents why not try thin lady's leggings the color of your choice to do this mod no metal just thin fabric??
Another head scratcher is I wonder if you played around with diff pad material or pads and the such what would happen to your HE-400's sound signature ??
Mod mods mods always gets them thinking! Lol
I had so many months to play already now with my set and I've semi stopped just to listen and enjoy my set and even game online with em..
Next up a color change for my He-500 when time permits and finish my end cap color change on he-400..
I Willl never part with any of my orthos and how is it that my wife wants a set of the so called ugly heavy headphones?? Lol go figure..

The same thought had crossed my mind when reading this thread, the downside is that the driver will be unprotected. However, still tempting!
I just got my HE-400s, and i want to try this, but i think i should give myself some time to become familiar with its stock signiture.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #39 of 829
Quote:

Dang Wayne!! You need to put down some plywood my friend. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #40 of 829
Quote:
Is the difference in sound signature really better than the stock HE-500 - or is it the well known "my DIY mod sounds so good" that is playing here? Honest question from a curious HE-500 owner. :)

I never said that, I never even heard of HE500s myself yet. This mod improves what it improves, my only basis is on how the modded sound compares with the stock sound of HE400s.

The fact though is that the stock grills (which are identical between HE400s and HE500s, as well as other HE cans) induce 1) ringing, and 2) narrowing of soundstage, as evident by my pink noise test outlined in first post, so in theory the mod will improve whatever Hifiman headphone it is used on, if you choose the mod material wisely.

Quote:

The same thought had crossed my mind when reading this thread, the downside is that the driver will be unprotected. However, still tempting!
I just got my HE-400s, and i want to try this, but i think i should give myself some time to become familiar with its stock signiture.

I wouldn't risk it, the diaphragm is VERY open to everything without a physical grill protecting it, so if you drop the cans or tug it some wrong way and it bangs against a corner or sharp point the wrong way it will easily puncture the diaphragm. The best way is still a compromise, in getting the steel mesh that has the best balance between structural integrity and acoustic transparency (ringing/soundstage shrinkage).

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #41 of 829
Well this mod does open the sound stage up alil more on the HE-400 and will also on the 500's also..

Whomever wants an even wider soundstage and piercing like higher end for the 500 go for it..

I have kinda hinted in either the original he400 thread that fang closed or the other he400 thread it's been soo long ago I forget where about the HE400 being like a free air speaker and just waving your hand near the cups makes the sound stage change..Hint Hint

As far as this mod making the he 400 like the 500's it's never going to happen..I have tried lots of diff mods to get the 400 to sound akin to the 500 and everything was fail. I can post a picture later of my HE-400..

Last almost anything you change mechanically or electrically both headsets will change their output sound signature and is easily heard/detected

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #42 of 829

That is the first batch HE-400 moded long long ago winter time early this year..

color change to  REAL carbon fiber also done some months back as in spring time never finished  end caps..

Never thought about protecting the drivers at all because i'm not worried about them falling and getting damaged but for some i could see the concern. When i'm done listening back in its travel case they go.

The pads you see in this third picture are gels for  the beyer dt770/880  and only used in this picture because i have no other pads to show except my moded pads in which i'm not displaying,,

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #43 of 829
Quote:

I never said that, I never even heard of HE500s myself yet. This mod improves what it improves, my only basis is on how the modded sound compares with the stock sound of HE400s.

The fact though is that the stock grills (which are identical between HE400s and HE500s, as well as other HE cans) induce 1) ringing, and 2) narrowing of soundstage, as evident by my pink noise test outlined in first post, so in theory the mod will improve whatever Hifiman headphone it is used on, if you choose the mod material wisely.

I wouldn't risk it, the diaphragm is VERY open to everything without a physical grill protecting it, so if you drop the cans or tug it some wrong way and it bangs against a corner or sharp point the wrong way it will easily puncture the diaphragm. The best way is still a compromise, in getting the steel mesh that has the best balance between structural integrity and acoustic transparency (ringing/soundstage shrinkage).

I didnt mean i wanted to necessarily try without grills, just meant i'd like to try the mod. I haven't had a chance to look into this myself yet, but whats the easiest way to take the grills off? are they held by clips?

Quote:
Well this mod does open the sound stage up alil more on the HE-400 and will also on the 500's also..
Whomever wants an even wider soundstage and piercing like higher end for the 500 go for it..
I have kinda hinted in either the original he400 thread that fang closed or the other he400 thread it's been soo long ago I forget where about the HE400 being like a free air speaker and just waving your hand near the cups makes the sound stage change..Hint Hint
As far as this mod making the he 400 like the 500's it's never going to happen..I have tried lots of diff mods to get the 400 to sound akin to the 500 and everything was fail. I can post a picture later of my HE-400..
Last almost anything you change mechanically or electrically both headsets will change their output sound signature and is easily heard/detected

So you're saying this affects the the high frequency response of the 500s to the point of "piercing," but what about the 400s HF response?

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #45 of 829
Quote:

I didnt mean i wanted to necessarily try without grills, just meant i'd like to try the mod. I haven't had a chance to look into this myself yet, but whats the easiest way to take the grills off? are they held by clips?

So you're saying this affects the the high frequency response of the 500s to the point of "piercing," but what about the 400s HF response?

The 500's are more detailed and bright to me.. To me when i took the grilles off the sound stage became wider very welcome i guess but it also seemed that the higher end became to bright to me for a lack of a better way to explain it.

The 400's it widens the sound stage alil more that you can notice it very easily along with also adding some detail but its not the same as the 500's in no way.

Me personaly wish Hi fiman would make an HE-550 that had the same bass impact as the HE400  but retained everthing else of the HE-500 and i'd be set for life but since i have both sets now in my possesion i'm still set i don't think i need another headset,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back