= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Nov 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #166 of 829
Made a couple grills for the HE-500 using two different sized meshes, both from those envelope holders (larger one new from Wlamart; smaller from my closet :wink:

The grills in these shots are the smaller ones.  The mesh of the others is the same size as the black pen/pencil holder jerg posted in the first post.  Both sport two coats of Krylon X-O Rust Professional Fiesta Red 
darthsmile.gif

You can see the felt mod through the grills, esp. in the shots where I used the flash.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #167 of 829
Anyone try this out with their LCD-2/LCD-3 yet?

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #168 of 829
Nice work thurston!

I was doing some further grill modifications the other day and I broke one of the stupid prongs off the retainer ring.  I had been being extremely careful and I guess I just got too comfortable and complacent and snapped one.  What in the H do I do now?  I tried contacting head-direct and they said no.  Thats pretty much what the advice on here was to do, so does anyone actually know how to get another one of these guys?

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #169 of 829
  Nice work thurston!

I was doing some further grill modifications the other day and I broke one of the stupid prongs off the retainer ring.  I had been being extremely careful and I guess I just got too comfortable and complacent and snapped one.  What in the H do I do now?  I tried contacting head-direct and they said no.  Thats pretty much what the advice on here was to do, so does anyone actually know how to get another one of these guys?

Just PM the head-direct reps here on head-fi (their thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629253/head-direct-hifiman-customer-service-team).

I think you can get a pair of those rings for like $10 or $15 from them.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #171 of 829
  Made a couple grills for the HE-500 using two different sized meshes, both from those envelope holders (larger one new from Wlamart; smaller from my closet :wink:

The grills in these shots are the smaller ones.  The mesh of the others is the same size as the black pen/pencil holder jerg posted in the first post.  Both sport two coats of Krylon Fiesta Red 
darthsmile.gif

You can see the felt mod through the grills, esp. in the shots where I used the flash.

Very nice! Those look so much more transparent than the original. I wish I could give em a listen!

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #172 of 829
  Very nice! Those look so much more transparent than the original. I wish I could give em a listen!

They're really easy to make.  Just go to Walmart or an office supply store or any place that would carry the mesh letter holders.  Here are some examples of ones that might work:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TRAY-MESH-LEGAL-BK/32559444

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TRAY-LEGAL-MESH-BK/32545541

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TRAY-LETTER-SINGLE-BK/32509097

Didn't see the one I used, but you get the idea.  Maybe the Dollar Store or similar would have them.  I bought one with flat surfaces, as they're easier to work with.  I paid less than $2.50 and got two grills out of it (a bit tight on the short piece of mesh.  I already have tin snips, and they made short work of the mesh.  The spray paint was the most expensive thing, even more than the fabric I used for the dust shields.  The size of the mesh can vary.  The newer one I got at Walmart is a larger mesh than the one I found in my closet (the one pictured above), even though the letter holder/organizer design was the same.

Another thing I might have done is to remove the black paint from the mesh before spray painting.  Still, after two coats I'm happy with the result.

Definitely an inexpensive, fun project that will help open up the HE-500s.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #174 of 829
I am a little confused about this mod.

Has anyone tried negating a grill entirely, and just reinstalling mesh for the sake of dust protection? It should be the grill, not the mesh, that makes the biggest impact right? I am getting more curious about trying this mod, but I am not clear on which fabrics should be the most acoustically neutral and so on.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #175 of 829

Just decided to do this mod this afternoon and was completed in about an hour and a half. Im all thumbs but this mod is so simple i thought i would try it, especially since its completely reversable. Im gonna hold off on impressions but there is certainly an improvement in soundstage. I actually ended up accidentally touching the driver with one of the new metal grills briefly. It doesnt sound like anything is wrong so i think i got away with it. Just for future reference, I wanted to ask just how sensitive these drivers are, and can they be damaged from a hiccup like that?

@Mrmateohead: Honestly, if anything I think it would be the mesh that would impair the sound more. The whole purpose is to allow more air into the driver right? Something i did as part of a test to judge the benefits of this mod was to blow through each grill while holding my finger to the other sode to see which allowed more air to pass. As it turned out, the dust cover on the stock grills were the biggest obstacle to airflow.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #176 of 829

Just decided to do this mod this afternoon and was completed in about an hour and a half. Im all thumbs but this mod is so simple i thought i would try it, especially since its completely reversable. Im gonna hold off on impressions but there is certainly an improvement in soundstage. I actually ended up accidentally touching the driver with one of the new metal grills briefly. It doesnt sound like anything is wrong so i think i got away with it. Just for future reference, I wanted to ask just how sensitive these drivers are, and can they be damaged from a hiccup like that?

@Mrmateohead: Honestly, if anything I think it would be the mesh that would impair the sound more. The whole purpose is to allow more air into the driver right? Something i did as part of a test to judge the benefits of this mod was to blow through each grill while holding my finger to the other sode to see which allowed more air to pass. As it turned out, the dust cover on the stock grills were the biggest obstacle to airflow.

Did you touch the driver membrane (which is fragile) or the driver magnet array (which is...steel and magnets...yep)? I'm gonna assume you just had the grill touch the array.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #178 of 829
  I am a little confused about this mod.

Has anyone tried negating a grill entirely, and just reinstalling mesh for the sake of dust protection? It should be the grill, not the mesh, that makes the biggest impact right? I am getting more curious about trying this mod, but I am not clear on which fabrics should be the most acoustically neutral and so on.

Definitely.  I was reading about HE-500 mods in an older thread today.  There are pix and everything, but a caveat about reduced protection.  I'll try to find that thread and post the link, if you can't find it.  Search for "HE-500 mods".

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #179 of 829

EXCELLENT choice of color 
biggrin.gif
  Next up, try the felt mod.  As well as having some benefits, it'll look good from the outside... unless you prefer the silver showing through.

Nice work.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #180 of 829
Well my grills magnetized to em so im guessing the driver magnet array? I never knew those magnets were so strong...it took me by surprise.

Well they are a bunch of neodymium magnets held by a rigid steel array in very close proximity to each-other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back