Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Sep 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #691 of 862
Quote:
Your comment is conjecture versus fact. A silly response, actually. RE-262 is just not the IEM for you.

That's supposing everybody who bought the phones did so because they absolutely agreed with their factory tuning.

I know I didn't.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #692 of 862
Quote:
That's supposing everybody who bought the phones did so because they absolutely agreed with their factory tuning.

A ridiculous assertion. It's an over-reach attempting to arrive at a response of some kind.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #693 of 862
Quote:

A ridiculous assertion. It's an over-reach attempting to arrive at a response of some kind.

The assertion, as it were, is all yours. Ridiculous or silly, I really can't be bothered to name it.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #694 of 862
I'll agree that they are not neutral. I'll also agree that, if anything, they are light on the bass and treble. The mids are just SO good I don't need another IEM in my collection (I gave my RE-Zeros to my mom :p )! The RE-262s are awesome for super-extended listening sessions and they'll never induce a headache.

They must take some getting used to... Only 1 or 2 people have liked the RE-262 sound on 1st listen at the meets I've been to. Cheers everyone!

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #695 of 862
After reading all the good reviews on the RE262 for the past year or so tomorrow can't come fast enough.  I know they're mid focused and that I just sold my e-Q7 awhile ago that had the same type of mid focused sound but there's just something that has been pushing me to get these that I know I'm going to like them.  

These won't be for edm as I have the e-Q5 and now the Heaven IV for that so the RE262 will by my rock, alternative and downtempo chillout pair also might see how classical sound on these.  You know that I'm going to see how trance and progressive sound on these because if there's any type of edm that might not work on the RE262 its though's with how fast the music is but d&b would be the biggest test and I don't really listen to that to much.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #696 of 862
Well FedEx just dropped them of which is the earliest I've ever had them show up, so I'll check back in after a few hours of listening and then a day or so of burn-in.  I'm pretty pump to hear how they sound since I've wanted these for almost a year now.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #697 of 862
I've only had them on for a few minutes and can say that they sound really good even with the edm I'm playing (Anjunadeep Vol 3 disc 1).  The mids are omg good and there's more bass than I was expecting, highs are also more crisp than I thought.

I'm going to listen to a bunch of different styles of music to see what the can handle so I'll post what I think of them this evening but so far they sound great.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #698 of 862
I have them on my computer with about 15 hours of music for them to play through and I'm going to see how they sound after that but from the hour I heard they are very good and easily worth $150.

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #699 of 862
I had them playing through my computer for almost 3 hours and just after that short burn-in the bass has tightened up and they just sound more cohesive now with though's lush mids.  

As for hoe the sound with edm its like it thought they would, complex trance the sound congested but with things like progressive house, tech house, techno, minimal and just good old house music they sound really nice and I could see myself listening to them for hours with out them being fatiguing at all.

Music like Adele, Coldplay, R.E.M and Live (that's some old school right there at least for me it is) the vocals sound absolutely amazing, some of Adele's tracks actually gave me goosebumps.  These are the vocal kings imo and I think they sound much smoother than my e-Q7's did with vocals.

I'm going to let them burn-in over night and see how they sound tomorrow but as of now they're keepers for sure.

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #700 of 862
Can't wait to get mine :p. I think the Studio V 3rd ANV will be a monster pairing with this IEM. Since I'm hearing the treble is laid back and the Studio V is the complete opposite of that so it should bring more balance to them :). Plus the high impedance should ensure 0 hiss (crossing my fingers). Hopefully this will be a match made in heaven.

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #701 of 862
I have to say that I've never been a real big believer in a drastic change in the sound of an IEM after burn-in but for the 7 or 8 hours I did with the RE262 they sound much better than out of the box.  Everything sounds more together now because at first some things sounded distant and to relaxed but now there's much more of a dynamic feel and much more of a cohesive feel over all.  I know this isn't just my brain getting adjusted because I didn't listen to them for hours and they sound different than they did right out of the box.  So I'm going to let them play for another 12 hours or so and see what that does.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #702 of 862
Quote:
I have to say that I've never been a real big believer in a drastic change in the sound of an IEM after burn-in but for the 7 or 8 hours I did with the RE262 they sound much better than out of the box.  Everything sounds more together now because at first some things sounded distant and to relaxed but now there's much more of a dynamic feel and much more of a cohesive feel over all.  I know this isn't just my brain getting adjusted because I didn't listen to them for hours and they sound different than they did right out of the box.  So I'm going to let them play for another 12 hours or so and see what that does.

So now you are converted? The IE8 was where I initially experienced this. It continued changing for about 250 hours. Probably a bit more. At certain points the changes were much more noticeable and at a certain point just got smoother throughout the process. Keep in mind I really didn't bother burning them in manually and just listened for those changes as I enjoyed the music. The IE7s on the other hand sounded like **** so I had to burn them in. They sounded ok out of the box then got worse and worse lol. So after about 220 hours I found them listenable and quite nice as well. very nice mid-range but the treble was a bit unrefined. Bass was not bad but a bit boomy. Really looking forward to the RE262. I've been tempted by them for the longest time but was under the impression they were the flag ship IEM for Hifiman. Lucky me there are next in line and almost half the price :p. The 150 ohms is what really drew me to them, including their sound signature. Looks like I may have found the perfect portable rig :).

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #703 of 862
I guess I'm converted because I know what I'm hearing and its not brain burn-in that's for sure.  I was thinking that maybe these just aren't a sound signature that I like and thought I was going to have to sale them but now they're starting to sound how I thought they would.  I'll post the changes tomorrow after another 10 or 12 hours burn-in.

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #704 of 862
Quote:
I guess I'm converted because I know what I'm hearing and its not brain burn-in that's for sure.  I was thinking that maybe these just aren't a sound signature that I like and thought I was going to have to sale them but now they're starting to sound how I thought they would.  I'll post the changes tomorrow after another 10 or 12 hours burn-in.

Don't be surprised if they continue to change well past a 100 hours. At least from what I've read the treble tends to become more detailed once they are well burned in and bass is more in line with the rest of the sound. We'll both see I guess :).

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #705 of 862
RE-262 could be similar to the RE-272 insofar as owner/designer of Head-Direct recommending 200hrs of burn in/use before they really open up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back