Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Mar 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #526 of 862
The balanced output does not bother me. I like the fact that it will come in a nice case. Who knows, they may even sound better than the ones that came with the HIFIMAN-602.

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #527 of 862
The balanced output is bothersome but the L/R switch adapter is just too good to be true. for wearing over the ear it's just the best option.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #528 of 862
So what exactly is the advantage of being able to swap channels?

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #529 of 862
Sometimes you can get better sound due to the fit when you switch them around. Such a device would greatly help the DDMs imo lol...

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #530 of 862

Quote:
Hmm so only the Hifiman 601 batch buyers got non-balanced RE262s (and preordered/review units). Makes it more like a limited edition compared to the 150$ preorder batches which have that bothersome balanced output. 

x2
balanced input is just like saying buy hifiman products or u cant use it with others

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #531 of 862
well, that's not the case. You can use it with any other product. I think Wang will make use of this feature at some point later.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #532 of 862
I own DDMs and I preordered the 262(though I had these for some time).

For both IEMs if you don't swap channels the fit gets awkward when you wear them over the ear, at least my ear did. I had to use a larger tip compared to what I used when I wore them straight down to get the seal and the sound became slightly different. I really tried to buy one of those channel swap adapters but I just couldn't find one here in Korea, and DIY was out of the question. Now that these are supplied with the earphones the fit when wearing straight down and over the ear would be more or less the same, which can't be a bad thing. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #534 of 862
I've been using the RE-262's w/ the stock bi-flange tips for about 2 weeks and I gotta say it is excellent.  Previously I was using the RE-Zero.   My DAP is the HM-601 so I don't know how it performs unamped.  Today I played some of Amos Hoffman's Evolution album and I was impressed with the instrument separation.  When the guitar was highlighted its image was right up front, not slightly  to the left or right, but in the middle where I like it.  Percussion was right off to the side but not forgotten.  There's a fun factor to these RE-262 in comparison to the RE-Zero which may be due to the more punchy bass.  For male vocals I like the RE-262.  I'm still on the fence for the female vocals, I give the edge to the RE-Zero but my audio memory may be fooling me into thinking so.  Soundstage goes to the RE-Zero but the RE-262 isn't terrible and maybe the brightness of the RE-Zero adds to the soundstage appearance.  The RE-Zero passes my Steely Dan "Nineteen" guitar twang test with an A.  RE-262 passes the same test with say a A-.  Lush and liquid are good previous descriptions for the 262.   At $150 it's a good deal, in my opinion.  I know there are better IEMs out there but I could be happy with the 262s for a while.  The 262s also make me appreciate the high-end IEM beasts as well.  For IEM I went from V-moda to RE-Zero to SM3 (for a brief period) to RE-262.  From RE-Zero to SM3 I wasn't sure the price difference was worth it because I was locked into that relativedly thin, detailed RE-Zero sound signature.  From 262 to SM3 would be more logical progression now that I'm more open to a bigger, full sound.      

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #535 of 862

I just started using my RE262s with the channels switched around, using meelec biflange tips and the bass has finally appeared. The overall signature has also slightly changed and has just become much more coherent and fun, I can't wait to finally try it out with that reversing channel adapter. 
I own DDMs and I preordered the 262(though I had these for some time).

For both IEMs if you don't swap channels the fit gets awkward when you wear them over the ear, at least my ear did. I had to use a larger tip compared to what I used when I wore them straight down to get the seal and the sound became slightly different. I really tried to buy one of those channel swap adapters but I just couldn't find one here in Korea, and DIY was out of the question. Now that these are supplied with the earphones the fit when wearing straight down and over the ear would be more or less the same, which can't be a bad thing. 

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #537 of 862
I have read some reviews, but still couldn't get a clear picture on the finer points RE262 sound. 

Is the RE262 in your face in terms of body and texture with a fleshed out notes from top to bottom (like the HD600/650)? Or is it slightly on the lean side of the spectrum like re-zero, or is it more neutral while still producing a swift note like the sm3? IMO the sm3 is smooth but not quite full-bodied.

I keep hearing differing opinions on the bass. It does seem to extend well, but is it rumbly at the low sub-bass, is it more a bumpy midbass like the q-jays, or is it a little bass light like the re-zero? Does it achieve both punch and bass body like the sm3?

When you say the midrange is forward, is it the upper-midrange, lower midrange or both? Is the mid sweet and colored or is it just forward? 

Is the overall sound laid back or quite forward? Is the timbre better than the sm3 for those who have heard both?

I'm contemplating a purchase but I'm currently looking for something easy on the ears rather than a precision IEM, preferably something sweet and bodied. The sm3 was too neutral for my intended use. Many thanks 
smile.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #538 of 862

It's not in your face in terms of texture, but also not on the lean side of the spectrum. It's actually somewhere in between but it's easy to be deceived into a lean sound with a poor fit. With a proper fit the texture is there as the midbass gets some presence, which is more of a bumpy midbass ala q-jays. The SM3s bass has more rumble and body but the REs get close and actually sound more natural because of the better timbre in these regions. The lower (&mid) midrange is forward and only very slightly colored, which makes it overall sound very clean in these regions. The overall sound is a bit forward because of the midrange but not too much, it's still manages to have smoothness in them. I have reservations for BAs in terms of timbre of natural instruments, been doing a lot of comparing recently and I'm always left a bit cold in how BAs represent acoustic notes. The SM3s are no exception but they have solid timbre with certain warm acoustic instruments and electronic instruments, like vintage keyboards (ex: rhodes piano). I will note that even though the midrange is very forward the overall sound doesn't sound so much in your face as the SM3s and the midrange sounds very clean and less warm compared to them because they don't have the politeness in the uppermidrange found on the 3s. 
I have read some reviews, but still couldn't get a clear picture on the finer points RE262 sound. 

Is the RE262 in your face in terms of body and texture with a fleshed out notes from top to bottom (like the HD600/650)? Or is it slightly on the lean side of the spectrum like re-zero, or is it more neutral while still producing a swift note like the sm3? IMO the sm3 is smooth but not quite full-bodied.

I keep hearing differing opinions on the bass. It does seem to extend well, but is it rumbly at the low sub-bass, is it more a bumpy midbass like the q-jays, or is it a little bass light like the re-zero? Does it achieve both punch and bass body like the sm3?

When you say the midrange is forward, is it the upper-midrange, lower midrange or both? Is the mid sweet and colored or is it just forward? 

Is the overall sound laid back or quite forward? Is the timbre better than the sm3 for those who have heard both?

I'm contemplating a purchase but I'm currently looking for something easy on the ears rather than a precision IEM, preferably something sweet and bodied. The sm3 was too neutral for my intended use. Many thanks 
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #539 of 862
Thank you for the reply, Inks. Couldn't have hoped for a more informative reply.

One of the reasons why I was slightly disappointed with the SM3 is because the transition from bass-mid is a bit bumpy in terms of body. When you said that the RE262 has less body, that sounds good to me as I was hoping for a more coherent sound. I would take better timbre over bass rumble too. Forward lower mid sounds good, as I prefer that over a tipped upper mid.

I can't speak from experience if the timbre issues apply to all BAs, but I was hoping for a perfect timbre from SM3, a $300 triple driver universal, and that fell short compared to decent full-size headphones'. 

One more question though, how's the transients on the RE262? Is it soft like the RE0/re-zero? Sometimes I felt the re-zero lacked bite. The eterna v1 doesn't have that problem despite having dynamic drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back