Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Jan 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #451 of 862
Quote:
sphinxvc said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Got my TF10s yesterday, thought I'd do a quick compare against the 262s.

The mids of the TF10s, in my opinion, are pretty good when examined objectively (as in independent of the bass and treble that overpowers the mids).  They are very clear and you hear every detail in the mids.  However the TF10s cannot match the way the RE-262s renders the same vocals, the 262s are just more life-like, they give body to the vocals.  But as I mentioned, the mids take a back-seat by design in the TF10s.

In terms of soundstage, there's no comparison.  The 262s are better in every regard, depth, width, placement.  Going to the TF10s is like going to Grados from the Senn or Beyer cans the 262s are.  

The 262 highs are very recessed, you do hear almost the same level of detail in the highs from the 262s as you do from the TF10s.  The reproduction of the highs is very artificial and doesn't have the same satisfaction the TF10 highs give.

I didn't expect this but I like the lows of the TF10s better than the 262s.  I thought since the 262s are biased towards the low end being warmer phones, that they may just do the lows better than the TF10s but that's not the case.  The TF10s make the 262s lows seem thinner.

The 262s have the TF10s beat in every other area: build quality & comfort.

I mostly agree with your impression of the Triple.fi, except that for my ears they are actually quite comfortable, but my outer ear canals are pretty large. I also agree that Triple.fi actually has very good mids - they are just overpowered by the mid/upper bass and treble with the wrong tips. I found that Triple.fi offers a very nicely balanced sound with Sennheiser IE/CX series IEMs single flange silicone tips. They are softer than the stock ones and provide a more delicate sound and also bring out the mids nicely. I also think Triple.fi looks really cool. lol

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #452 of 862
Quote:
I mostly agree with your impression of the Triple.fi, except that for my ears they are actually quite comfortable, but my outer ear canals are pretty large. I also agree that Triple.fi actually has very good mids - they are just overpowered by the mid/upper bass and treble with the wrong tips. I found that Triple.fi offers a very nicely balanced sound with Sennheiser IE/CX series IEMs single flange silicone tips. They are softer than the stock ones and provide a more delicate sound and also bring out the mids nicely. I also think Triple.fi looks really cool. lol

That they do.  

And yes, of course, comfort is subjective.  

The TF10s only fit me worn down and that massive shiny blue housing sticking out an inch or so from my ears are cool.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #453 of 862
Quote:
Quote:
I also think Triple.fi looks really cool. lol
That they do.  

And yes, of course, comfort is subjective.  
The TF10s only fit me worn down and that massive shiny blue housing sticking out an inch or so from my ears are cool.

i used to have the m-audio version of the triple-fi, and it was much nicer looking, imo:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/IE40.html

one of these days soon i hope to have a set of re262s to play with.....

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #454 of 862
question please...
hows re262 compare to ddm, eq7, ck10, sm3?
in terms of;

bass ;
mids ;
highs ;
extension ;
imaging / positioning accuracy ;
soundstage size (width, height, depth)...
smoothness - closer to sm3/ddm or eq7 or not yet there?

im looking for a very smooth sounding dynamic driver. for reference, eterna v1 is not smooth to my ears. im looking for something like sm3/ddm level of smoothness.
thx all

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #455 of 862
From my memory RE262 soundstage and vocal is better than DDM, other not sure yet cause my RE262 still new, I'm burn in them now.
biggrin.gif

p/s: DaEMoNteNTAcLe are u from lowyat forum?

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #458 of 862
I've had all of the iems you mention and to my ears the RE262 is better than any of them. 

Bass: DDM is the best for bassheads, having truckloads of the stuff (being a dual dynamic and all) but ultimately the 262 has enough low end grunt and control for my tastes and is not lacking in the bottom end whatsoever.
Mids: It's between the SM3 and 262s as to which is better, but the slight veil in the upper mids of the SM3s sees the 262s taking the crown.  They are sooo smooth and liquid and natural sounding it's not true.  Vocals in particular are rendered more realistically than with any iem I've heard. As Mark and others have noted, the 262s can hold their head up against the SE530/535 in the mids department.  Not having tried the Shures, I can't comment, but if there's a better sounding reproducer of mids in the universal arena, especially at the price, I'd be astounded.
Highs:  262s are not 'sparkly' (read annoying) like the CK10s, and neither are they repressed in the top end like the e-q7s.  Instead, they offer treble that is smoother than silk and effortlessly there. 
Extension:  CK10 goes higher but not lower, DDMs go lower but not higher, e-q7s neither go higher or lower, SM3s go higher not lower.
Imaging / positional accuracy:  hard to call, given positional accuracy is a studio mixing mirage, but I hear absolutely nothing in the 262s to indicate positioning is off even in the slighest.  The SM3s offer the most 3D positioning, but then that's not to everyone's tastes and if you want a conventional lef-right soundstage with instruments sounding where you think they should, the 262s tick all the boxes.
Soundstage:  again, the SM3s offer the most unique soundstage of them all - like a bubble of music you've placed your head into.  Not quite 360 degrees, but not far off.  The 262s are more like 200+ degrees, but they extend laterally and forward better than the others, to the extent that they are sound more like fullsize cans than any other iems I've tried.  Really.
Smoothness:  No complaints whatsoever.  Smooth and liquid is the 262's middle name. The CK10s are more 'glossy' sounding, but the treble emphasis means they lack body, the e-q7s are grainier and grittier, the e-q7s even more so (akin to the difference between riding on an autobahn and a dirt track - both having their pleasures), and the SM3s are probably as equally as smooth and liquid as the 262s, but lack the weight and realism to instruments that the 262s provide.

In all, for the money I don't think you can go wrong with the RE262s.  They have put me at what I hope is the end of my sonic adventure for now.  

Quote:
question please...
in terms of;

bass ;
mids ;
highs ;
extension ;

im looking for a very smooth sounding dynamic driver. for reference, eterna v1 is not smooth to my ears. im looking for something like sm3/ddm level of smoothness.
thx all

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #459 of 862
DDM and RE262 share certain characteristics such as an intentionally colored sound signature, a rich sligtly warm midrange and somewhat laid back upper frequences. They both have a wide soundstage too.

Joker likened the sonic signature of DDM with a Pyramid, which I find rather fitting. A similiar comparsion would be that RE262 is more like the Eifel tower. Its not as robust and solid, but it is more refined and transparant, yet having good lower extension, but the bass doesn't go that deep. The bass of DDM goes deeper. In comparsion the mids of RE262 are sligthly forward, but not very much.

RE262 has more sparke in the treble where DDM is produces more rounded notes. But RE262 is no not a star in terms of treblesparkling, it comes sometimes and you may have to search for it. Imaging and separation is better with RE262 but DDM is not bad. The bass of DDM can fogify the sound like a silky mist. The separation remains quite easy to discern since the soundstage is so wide and the bass is of such quality. But you might have to listen more closely for it.

Overall I prefer DDM for most music. It feels more coherent and the bass reach is greater while still being full of detail, especially when amped. I prefer RE262 for some female vocalists with higher pitched voices, aswell as classical in general.

I havn't tried the other you mentioned

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #460 of 862
I might mention that my preference of DDM is only when i pair it with my S:flo2, they have great synergy. With Iriver Clix  and clix 2 I prefer RE262
Quote:
DDM and RE262 share certain characteristics such as an intentionally colored sound signature, a rich sligtly warm midrange and somewhat laid back upper frequences. They both have a wide soundstage too.

Joker likened the sonic signature of DDM with a Pyramid, which I find rather fitting. A similiar comparsion would be that RE262 is more like the Eifel tower. Its not as robust and solid, but it is more refined and transparant, yet having good lower extension, but the bass doesn't go that deep. The bass of DDM goes deeper. In comparsion the mids of RE262 are sligthly forward, but not very much.

RE262 has more sparke in the treble where DDM is produces more rounded notes. But RE262 is no not a star in terms of treblesparkling, it comes sometimes and you may have to search for it. Imaging and separation is better with RE262 but DDM is not bad. The bass of DDM can fogify the sound like a silky mist. The separation remains quite easy to discern since the soundstage is so wide and the bass is of such quality. But you might have to listen more closely for it.

Overall I prefer DDM for most music. It feels more coherent and the bass reach is greater while still being full of detail, especially when amped. I prefer RE262 for some female vocalists with higher pitched voices, aswell as classical in general.

I havn't tried the other you mentioned

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #461 of 862
Wow.
at first, i didnt think it was u replying, following ur post around so far, full of humour. :)
but this is possibly more detail than im hoping for. i would say the comparison vs other iems is similar to what i hear as well, a good sign.
Guess 262 is a worthy consideration. I always wanted to get the 262 simply for the 150ohm.
dynamic + flawless presentation is what im after. tired of BA already.

well hmm..
maybe later after i finished my speaker project. Planning some diy stuff now. :D
thank you.

Quote:
I've had all of the iems you mention and to my ears the RE262 is better than any of them. 

Bass: DDM is the best for bassheads, having truckloads of the stuff (being a dual dynamic and all) but ultimately the 262 has enough low end grunt and control for my tastes and is not lacking in the bottom end whatsoever.
Mids: It's between the SM3 and 262s as to which is better, but the slight veil in the upper mids of the SM3s sees the 262s taking the crown.  They are sooo smooth and liquid and natural sounding it's not true.  Vocals in particular are rendered more realistically than with any iem I've heard. As Mark and others have noted, the 262s can hold their head up against the SE530/535 in the mids department.  Not having tried the Shures, I can't comment, but if there's a better sounding reproducer of mids in the universal arena, especially at the price, I'd be astounded.
Highs:  262s are not 'sparkly' (read annoying) like the CK10s, and neither are they repressed in the top end like the e-q7s.  Instead, they offer treble that is smoother than silk and effortlessly there. 
Extension:  CK10 goes higher but not lower, DDMs go lower but not higher, e-q7s neither go higher or lower, SM3s go higher not lower.
Imaging / positional accuracy:  hard to call, given positional accuracy is a studio mixing mirage, but I hear absolutely nothing in the 262s to indicate positioning is off even in the slighest.  The SM3s offer the most 3D positioning, but then that's not to everyone's tastes and if you want a conventional lef-right soundstage with instruments sounding where you think they should, the 262s tick all the boxes.
Soundstage:  again, the SM3s offer the most unique soundstage of them all - like a bubble of music you've placed your head into.  Not quite 360 degrees, but not far off.  The 262s are more like 200+ degrees, but they extend laterally and forward better than the others, to the extent that they are sound more like fullsize cans than any other iems I've tried.  Really.
Smoothness:  No complaints whatsoever.  Smooth and liquid is the 262's middle name. The CK10s are more 'glossy' sounding, but the treble emphasis means they lack body, the e-q7s are grainier and grittier, the e-q7s even more so (akin to the difference between riding on an autobahn and a dirt track - both having their pleasures), and the SM3s are probably as equally as smooth and liquid as the 262s, but lack the weight and realism to instruments that the 262s provide.

In all, for the money I don't think you can go wrong with the RE262s.  They have put me at what I hope is the end of my sonic adventure for now.  

Quote:
question please...
in terms of;

bass ;
mids ;
highs ;
extension ;

thx all

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #463 of 862
For those lucky few of you who are pairing the RE262 with your Cowon J3, here are the custom EQ settings I am using. I am running the J3 with a Headstage Arrow amp too, but you should still get beautiful sounding noises even if you're sonicventuring unamped.  Feel free to try these and tell me I'm an idiot though, cos chances are my ears don't hear like yours....

EQ bands:
80hz - wide - 0
300hz - wide - 0
1.1khz - wide - 2
3.0khz - wide - 3
13khz - wide - 3

BBE+ settings:
BBE 8
Mach3Bass 3
3D Surround Off
MP Enhance On

SE settings:
Stereo Enhance 4
Reverb Off

Certainly sound forking fantastic to me. Gotta love the synergy of the J3 and the 262s - chuck an Arrow into the mix and you got a menage a trois only slightly less delicious than that dream I had the other night involving Liv Tyler and Audrey Tautou.

p.s. Props due to Proedros and his golden ears for suggesting settings in the first place that I merely tweaked a little to my own tastes and posted here under the pretense that I'm a stonecold genius.  Which I am.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #464 of 862
hmmmm. Would the PA2V2 provide enough power for the re262s?

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #465 of 862
got a set the other day and am pleasantly surprised how nice they sound right out of the box. i'll have to see if some hours loosen the drivers up a bit to good effect. three things that i'm not too fond of so far:
- the cable is horribly microphonic, amongst the worst i've come across
- it's a bear to get tips on the stems, making experimenting with them a somewhat daunting prospect
- ergos aren't terrific and that strain relief is too long and rigid.

come on head-direct. there are lots of examples of units out there that have these issues well sorted out. i'm sure you too can accomplish this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back