HifiMan RE252 Appreciation Thread
Sep 10, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #226 of 271
Quote:
Ok so it seems like the RE252 is totally discontinued now.

On the bright side there is always the GR07 which shares a very similiar signature and costs less.

That makes it a diamond in the rough IMO! 

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #227 of 271
Discontinued?  =\

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #228 of 271
Any particular reason as to why they discontinued it kiteki? I can't imagine why, considering the RE252, RE262, and RE272 (their current flagships) share little to no resemblance in the way they sound. It's for that very reason that between the three, I personally prefer the RE252. I wouldn't mind seeing a revamped RE252 however, with better build/aesthetics, so long as the sound is preserved.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #229 of 271
Quote:

On the bright side there is always the GR07 which shares a very similiar signature and costs less.

Where did you get that info?

@i2ehan: So why exactly did you prefer the RE252 to the 262 and 272? I personally consider the latter two superior sound quality wise, but I didn't spend much time with the re252s.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #230 of 271
He must have checked head-direct's website, like I did.
You could ask Fang or email Head-Direct if you want.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #231 of 271
Yeah, they are not on there anymore. I do think RE272 is an upgrade in every way. I even think it has great texture now after more burn in and experimenting with different tips.

RE252 does have a unique presentation though and I can see how some people may find them special. They have this interesting edge to their sound that gives the impression of really good articulation. But I found them a little harsh sounding in the lower highs somewhere and having a flat bass with little to no impact, maybe because of bad fit.

HOWEVER, when I had RE252, I compared it to my FA-003 cans and found RE252 to be superior sound quality wise, although I preferred the signature of the FA-003. But then when I had FA-003 and RE262 at the same time, but not RE252, I preferred FA-003 to the RE262. So go figure. In direct AB comparison I might easily prefer RE252 to the 262 because I do like a balanced sound and RE252 is definitely more balanced between the mids and the highs than RE262, which I found too dark sounding for my tastes. That being said, RE262 has much better dynamics than RE252, a smoother tone and a more immersive soundstage with better depth. So technically, RE262 may be better I think, but RE252 can easily be preferable for some due to the more present highs and maybe some other qualities like more aggression/faster attack and a more rounded presentation of notes.

Now, RE272 is the one that I see as a real step up from RE252, although I may be wrong. I think RE272 has a great balance of frequencies from bass to treble like RE252, or even better, plus all the strengths of the RE262 minus its weaknesses like recessed treble and somewhat overly forward mids.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #232 of 271
Quote:

Where did you get that info?

@i2ehan: So why exactly did you prefer the RE252 to the 262 and 272? I personally consider the latter two superior sound quality wise, but I didn't spend much time with the re252s.

Simply put, analyticalpure, raw, natural and neutral sounding is the RE252. Comparatively speaking, the RE262 is brilliantly mid-centric, while the RE272, pleasantly bright. With that said, I really admire the 262 and 272, but with the 252, it's no longer admiration, it's .

@Pianist: I kindly disagree. It's much more to do with preference, opposed to one being 'better' than the other. Hence, based upon my personal preference, the RE252 reigns champ. They've each got their strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention, I can think of just as many people who'd be turned away from the 272's bright signature. At the end of the day, it's preference, and nothing but.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #233 of 271

Quote:
Yeah, they are not on there anymore. I do think RE272 is an upgrade in every way. I even think it has great texture now after more burn in and experimenting with different tips.

RE252 does have a unique presentation though and I can see how some people may find them special. They have this interesting edge to their sound that gives the impression of really good articulation. But I found them a little harsh sounding in the lower highs somewhere and having a flat bass with little to no impact, maybe because of bad fit.

The linear bass with good impact is one of the many reasons I enjoy RE252.  Well, its funky housing does fit me like a glove, lol.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #234 of 271
Quote:
Quote:

Simply put, analyticalpure, raw, natural and neutral sounding is the RE252. Comparatively speaking, the RE262 is brilliantly mid-centric, while the RE272, pleasantly bright. With that said, I really admire the 262 and 272, but with the 252, it's no longer admiration, it's .

@Pianist: I kindly disagree. It's much more to do with preference, opposed to one being 'better' than the other. Hence, based upon my personal preference, the RE252 reigns champ. They've each got their strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention, I can think of just as many people who'd be turned away from the 272's bright signature. At the end of the day, it's preference, and nothing but.

Well, regarding the RE272 being bright. I compared it directly with RE0 and DT880 and found RE272 to be less bright in the treble. Maybe it's just that the quality of RE272 treble is better, but I found them less edgy and brittle sounding than the DT880 and RE0. Though to be honest all three have superb treble quality IMO. I also consider all three to be quite neutral sounding. When I had RE252 I perceived their sound a tad too bright, a tad too edgy and rounded to be completely neutral, but they are certainly close to neutral. I just don't think they are more neutral than the RE272. RE272 also has that linear bass that RE252 has, but I am hearing better authority with the RE272 maybe due to better fit I get with them. RE272 has quite neutral mids too when inserted sufficiently deep. Maybe there is a bit of emphasis on the upper midrange, but then I found RE252 has emphasis on the lower treble - its not perfectly flat either. The upper treble on RE272 may be a tad pronounced, but it's extremely smooth and provides some nice extra sparkle and sense of air. It's really not much of a coloration at all - more like a tasteful touch of sparkle. RE252s rounded note and aggressive attack sounds like stronger colorations to my ears compared to RE272's slight bumps in the upper mids and treble.

Just my 2 cents.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #235 of 271
No two listeners perceive the same sound my friend, so I understand where you're coming from. Nevertheless, to my ears, there's just no mistaking it. RE252, most neutral; RE262, mid-centric, RE272, bright signature, yet highs, mids, and lows do not take precedence over one another.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #236 of 271
Frequency response is not everything though. RE272 may have one or two more little bumps than RE252, but I think it has a more accurate timbre, more realistic attack and a more faithful presentation of notes. RE252 sounded less natural to me.

RE272 and 262 also has a more natural soundstage, especially the former which sounds very transparent to me with no 3 blobs in the head feeling at all. RE272 sounds like the sound is really stretched out, but there isn't much going on in the center.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #237 of 271
I would also say that 252 is neutral-like, but with that warm haze it throws over the whole spectrum, I would say it comes close to neutral.  I certainly wouldn't call it bright or rounded.  I would have liked for it to be a bit brighter like RE0 and ZERO.
The 2kHz bump is annoying at times as well.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #238 of 271
I've been quite eager to give the RE0 a listen, which has been compared to the ER4S, which, as it stands, is most certainly among my top favorites. Throw the Zo in the mix, and it's a whole another experience altogether. 
eek.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #239 of 271
http://store.hifiman.com/cart.php?act=add&product_id=80&loc=1

No it ain't

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back