Hifiman RE-800
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #46 of 262
Like all HF IEM give them 2 years and they will drop their prices greatly. I guess no one is in hurry, when it comes to Hifiman product I rather let the market test it first before I spend such crazy money, however they have significantly improved their QA testing.

If my opinion carries any weight around here, these two new earphones have a significantly improved build quality as compared to older models. The cable is tough.

Sonically I do think they're really competitive too. I do hope you get to hear them.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #48 of 262
I was indeed quite impressed by the packaging, when these arrived. It's one fancy presentation.

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #49 of 262
@Dobrescu George

Since you seem to like unboxing photos, I have developed the ones from the photo sets of the RE800, RE2000 and MegaMini for you (and for others who are interested in what the packages those IEMs and DAP come in look like) and packed them into a post: http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/06/hifiman-re2000-re800-megamini-unboxing.html

I was indeed quite impressed by the packaging, when these arrived. It's one fancy presentation.

Absolutely beautiful!

HiFiMAN did not hold back on including some of the most awesome packages I've seen lately!~

It is hard to contain my excitement to see one of those beauties in person!

For those buying RE-800 and RE-2000, they don't only get awesome devices, but they get beautiful boxes as well. I wonder about their carry boxes - never seen one of those round boxes before and I want to ask how do they work ? Knowing Romanian climate, I'll probably use a Peli box, to keep an anti moisture bag in it, but those round boxes also look beautiful in pictures - people who have one, are using their carry boxes for transportation purposes?

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #50 of 262
I wonder about their carry boxes - never seen one of those round boxes before and I want to ask how do they work ? Knowing Romanian climate, I'll probably use a Peli box, to keep an anti moisture bag in it, but those round boxes also look beautiful in pictures - people who have one, are using their carry boxes for transportation purposes?

The RE800 comes with a quite simple (and unfortunately unbranded) round zippered carrying case that just works like you would expect. It's protective and doesn't add much thickness.

The RE2000's carrying case is of about the same size but made of aluminium and bolstered with soft rubber on the inside so that the in-ears don't get scratched from the bare aluminium. If you're familiar with those tin boxes used for candy, they work quite similarly (you pull off the lid and have access to the inside).

I'm always using the carrying cases and boxes that came with an IEM (as long as they don't suck - the UE900 and UE900S's carrying boxes are for example not that good, which also goes for carrying pouches). The RE800's box might probably have enough space for an extra drying capsule, but the RE2000's will definitely not.
When I'm out and about I prefer to have the carrying boxes/cases in my pants' side pockets, so I prefer flatter ones (the box used for my Westone W4R is almost too thick).

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #51 of 262
The RE800 comes with a quite simple (and unfortunately unbranded) round zippered carrying case that just works like you would expect. It's protective and doesn't add much thickness.

The RE2000's carrying case is of about the same size but made of aluminium and bolstered with soft rubber on the inside so that the in-ears don't get scratched from the bare aluminium. If you're familiar with those tin boxes used for candy, they work quite similarly (you pull off the lid and have access to the inside).

I'm always using the carrying cases and boxes that came with an IEM (as long as they don't suck - the UE900 and UE900S's carrying boxes are for example not that good, which also goes for carrying pouches). The RE800's box might probably have enough space for an extra drying capsule, but the RE2000's will definitely not.
When I'm out and about I prefer to have the carrying boxes/cases in my pants' side pockets, so I prefer flatter ones (the box used for my Westone W4R is almost too thick).

Thank you for the in-depth explanation!

This helps a lot!

I generally carry IEMs in their carry boxes, but the carry boxes in my backpack, I avoid keeping anything in my pockets since my body shape is not supple enough to allow me to keep much in my pockets .....

Anyways, back to RE800, as long as I can fit a dry pack in there and as long as the carry box itself looks nice / works nice, the fact that it is not branded is absolutely okay with me!

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #52 of 262
Just got hold of the RE800 and the MegaMini amp DAC - Its a very nice portable pairing. My first day impressions are good. I will be reviewing them at some point. I'm guessing the RE800 needs to be broken in?

The MegaMini is really light - it is surprisingly powerful for its small size. It also drives my Edition S greatly!

Does anyone think that HIFIMAN is going after the IE 800 with the RE800? they are both a similar size.

IMG_4013-s.jpg
IMG_4032-s.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #53 of 262
Just got hold of the RE800 and the MegaMini amp DAC - Its a very nice portable pairing. My first day impressions are good. I will be reviewing them at some point. I guessing the RE800 needs to be broken in?

The MegaMini is really light - it is surprisingly powerful for its small size. It also drives my Edition S greatly!

Does anyone think that HIFIMAN is going after the IE 800 with the RE800? they are both a similar size.

I have ie800, will surely compare RE800 and ie800 - I hope that they can make great competition to one another!

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #55 of 262

Size-, price- and feature-wise, I do think so. Their sound signature isn't really heading into the same direction though.

vs IE 800.jpg

FR MegaMini with both vents fully open (yellow) vs. IE 800.

Recorded with my Vibro Veritas Coupler with the usual inaccuracies of my diffuse-field-compensation-aimed target (too little shown level around 3 and 6 kHz).

Attachments

• vs IE 800.jpg
    vs IE 800.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
  • vs IE 800.jpg
    vs IE 800.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #56 of 262
Size-, price- and feature-wise, I do think so. Their sound signature isn't really heading into the same direction though.

FR MegaMini with both vents fully open (yellow) vs. IE 800.

Recorded with my Vibro Veritas Coupler with the usual inaccuracies of my diffuse-field-compensation-aimed target (too little shown level around 3 and 6 kHz).

Oh, there are some differences in the frequency response. I am quite curious how they sound in reality.

If the people at DHL wouldn't have locked my package in customs for freaking 5 days now, I would be able to say more...

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #57 of 262
Jun 23, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #58 of 262
lol. That looks about right for what I'm hearing. God that treble spike is harsh.

It is a little :/ foam tips help but they lose their air and dynamics a bit with them. I'm not too treble sensitive so it's not too bad for me, but still quite a spike.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #59 of 262
lol. That looks about right for what I'm hearing. God that treble spike is harsh.

It is a little :/ foam tips help but they lose their air and dynamics a bit with them. I'm not too treble sensitive so it's not too bad for me, but still quite a spike.

You can name me the treble master! I can't wait to hear that treble spike! It will be no match for my love for treble!

Rather, you guys are poking sticks at my curiosity for RE800 !

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #60 of 262

Shanling M2s>RE800

Good setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back