Hifiman RE-800
Nov 9, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #256 of 262
Decided to pull these out of a drawer and do a little (more)tip rolling, and found a lucky match almost immediately with the stock tips from Penon, the ones with the green core. I've had lots of IEMs with driver flex over the years, but never so bad that it rendered the IEM unusable like with the 800, so I'm pretty jazzed that I can use these again. If not for the driver flex, I'd be shouting from a mountaintop about just how good these are for 100 bucks. (but also, if not for the QC issues maybe they wouldn't have dropped to $100 in the first place)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #257 of 262
Hi all,

Anyone here ever purchased these from Aliexpress?

They seem so cheap, currently at under 50$.

Are they legit?

Thanks

Nov 12, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #258 of 262
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #259 of 262
Okay, so I bought these two tips to try out if either of them helps with the driver flex.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/tr...i+clarion&_ss=e&_v=1.0&variant=43616889405657
https://www.linsoul.com/products/tangzu-tang-sancai-wide-bore?_pos=6&_psq=tangzu&_ss=e&_v=1.0
Verdict: the TANGZUs help for sure. They're better than the stock ones (for me) and have noticeably less flex happening when I move the IEMs around for a better fit. The Clarions, however, don't help in this regard, which is weird, considering that the silicone earpieces are even further away from the monitors' body.
The TANGZUs are an all-around comfy fit, albeit they do seem to elevate higher lows a bit imo.
Also tried Spiral Dots and these make the flex just horrible..

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #260 of 262
These IEM's are just pure sadness.

They sound absolutely epic. Big soundstage, huge controlled subbass like I've never heard on an IEM and very detailed. There's a small peak on the lower highs (I think...) but nothing too major.

Soundwise they're a bigger step up from the RE-600's than from RE-400's->RE-600's and absolutely destroy my Moondrop Aria.

These would be the bargain of the century at the price they currently run for on many places (50$), however... the driver flex on these is just mad. I can just about use them if I don't touch them after putting on my ears. But that's just not right.

I'm hearing people who have bought them directly from Hifiman with the same issue. Are they serious? This is borderline scamming.

Is there any way to relieve the driver pressure? Suposedly they have venting ports but maybe they are blocked? Any way to check that?

I would buy another pair at double or triple the price if they didn't have this issue.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #261 of 262
These IEM's are just pure sadness.

They sound absolutely epic. Big soundstage, huge controlled subbass like I've never heard on an IEM and very detailed. There's a small peak on the lower highs (I think...) but nothing too major.

Soundwise they're a bigger step up from the RE-600's than from RE-400's->RE-600's and absolutely destroy my Moondrop Aria.

These would be the bargain of the century at the price they currently run for on many places (50$), however... the driver flex on these is just mad. I can just about use them if I don't touch them after putting on my ears. But that's just not right.

I'm hearing people who have bought them directly from Hifiman with the same issue. Are they serious? This is borderline scamming.

Is there any way to relieve the driver pressure? Suposedly they have venting ports but maybe they are blocked? Any way to check that?

I would buy another pair at double or triple the price if they didn't have this issue.

You can try foam tips. Also, if you have any of those stock Penon tips with the green core, those have been great for me when it comes to minimizing the driver flex. I agree with everything you said though, it really is a shame. I returned my first two RE800s because of flex and my third had it too, but at that point I was too annoyed to deal with it any further. But the Penon tips have saved them.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #262 of 262
You can try foam tips. Also, if you have any of those stock Penon tips with the green core, those have been great for me when it comes to minimizing the driver flex. I agree with everything you said though, it really is a shame. I returned my first two RE800s because of flex and my third had it too, but at that point I was too annoyed to deal with it any further. But the Penon tips have saved them.
To be clear for those who are not aware 1) driver flex does not hurt the drivers/IEMs 2) it does not put the listeners hearing at risk, ordinarily (someone with a damaged eardrum may have a different risk profile, but one wonders if such listeners are using deeply inserted IEMs such as these) 3) it occurs when the IEM is positioned or moved inside the canal due to air pressure between. There is generally no impact on SQ or FR during playback unless one repositions the IEM during playback. The sound is annoying to some. To others it is not annoying and does not impact their (TBH my) enjoyment of the IEMs. YMMV. It’s great to hear that Penon (or any tips) may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back