Hifiman RE-800
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #61 of 262
Jun 24, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #62 of 262
Maybe more than slightly.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #64 of 262
Maybe more than slightly.

That's also my impression, it works great with some headphones but does have a slightly thick tone to it.

Do you have the Hifiman Megamini, I find that to be quite snappy and fast, with good transient response, but possibly a tad thin sounding.

Opus #2 is my reference for the above.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #65 of 262
That's also my impression, it works great with some headphones but does have a slightly thick tone to it.

Do you have the Hifiman Megamini, I find that to be quite snappy and fast, with good transient response, but possibly a tad thin sounding.

Good to know!

Thank you!

Given RE-800's detailed and energetic sound, it would work good with both Megamini and M2sm or you prefer it with M2s more as it thickens the sound?

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #66 of 262
Good to know!

Thank you!

Given RE-800's detailed and energetic sound, it would work good with both Megamini and M2sm or you prefer it with M2s more as it thickens the sound?

I would say they work better with the Opus #2, or M2s.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #67 of 262

HiFiMAN only sent me the RE800. No DAP, no RE2000.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #68 of 262
It turns out my biggest problem with the RE800 was not the RE800, but rather the iDSD Black Label. Yes, the RE800 has that treble spike, and when your source also possesses some unnaturally heightened treble, it's a deadly combo. But on a more neutral, natural-sounding source, the RE800 sounds AMAZING!

Both my desktop DAC, the NFB-28, and my portable unit of choice, the Opus#2, reveal heaven's blessing on these little in-ears. They both have duel Sabre DACs done brilliantly. Full, slightly warm, and utterly natural-sounding. The RE800 still has that hot treble region, but it's FAR less aggressive. I'm growing to really love these now.

RE800 & NFB-28 01.jpg RE800 & Opus2 02.jpg

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #69 of 262
It turns out my biggest problem with the RE800 was not the RE800, but rather the iDSD Black Label. Yes, the RE800 has that treble spike, and when your source also possesses some unnaturally heightened treble, it's a deadly combo. But on a more neutral, natural-sounding source, the RE800 sounds AMAZING!

Both my desktop DAC, the NFB-28, and my portable unit of choice, the Opus#2, reveal heaven's blessing on these little in-ears. They both have duel Sabre DACs done brilliantly. Full, slightly warm, and utterly natural-sounding. The RE800 still has that hot treble region, but it's FAR less aggressive. I'm growing to really love these now.

I'm glad that you found a way to enjoy your RE-800 much more now!

I hope that the treble is energetic enough to make them shine!

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #70 of 262
For a true treble head, the CL1 is still king, funnily enough, for treble on a budget, the included AKG earphones that come with the Samsung S8 take some beating!

I remember the RE800 being more sedate than the RE2000, so the past few posts have my birth packed and interested in equal proportions

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #71 of 262
For a true treble head, the CL1 is still king, funnily enough, for treble on a budget, the included AKG earphones that come with the Samsung S8 take some beating!

I remember the RE800 being more sedate than the RE2000, so the past few posts have my birth packed and interested in equal proportions

Looking forward to your impressions when you manage to hear both! I hope I get to hear them soon as well and hope that I'll be able to have a bit more content to bring to this thread.

RE-800 sounds like a sweet deal from what others have described - I'm curious how you find it in comparison to CL1 and to ie800 as well since ie800 have been my happy treble IEMs for a long while now.

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #75 of 262
They do look beautiful!

I do have one question though... How did you take the picture if they are sitting on the camera itself? :beyersmile:

A highly complex arrangement of various mirrors was used in order to take a photo of the RE800 on the camera's lens. :wink:

Nope, of course I used my DSLM to take the photo of the RE800 on the lens of my analogue SLR. While a complex array of mirrors would have been an option as well (I do it all the time (not really)) so that I could take the photo with my analogue SLR, this would have required me to actually develop the real 35mm film and not the digital RAW file. :wink: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back