Hifiman RE-800
Sep 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #166 of 270
Yeah, they are impressive as hell with acoustic music.

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #167 of 270
Yeah, they are impressive as hell with acoustic music.

I'd imagine its very dependant on source. It would need to bring vocals more forward in the RE-800, as the vocals sound a slight bit recessed to me using the RE-800. Not that the RE-800 is very recessed or V-Shaped (its not), but the best acoustic sound is one that is more forward, like being upfront at a coffee house, rather than being in the back of the place having to compete with other noise in the environment.

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #168 of 270
I'd imagine its very dependant on source. It would need to bring vocals more forward in the RE-800, as the vocals sound a slight bit recessed to me using the RE-800. Not that the RE-800 is very recessed or V-Shaped (its not), but the best acoustic sound is one that is more forward, like being upfront at a coffee house, rather than being in the back of the place having to compete with other noise in the environment.

Not at all. For me, the RE800 sounds great so long as treble-oriented instruments aren't individually mic'ed, like drums. And no high-pitched electric guitars. If your music is all acoustic, especially a well-recorded binaural record, the RE800 really shines. Otherwise, that treble really gets nasty.

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #169 of 270
They are great if you just EQ that spike down though. On FiiO devices just knock the 8kHz slider down by -6 dB, and use Comply tips. Problem solved. Reference IEM :)

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #170 of 270
You guys really ought to hear the treble problem on the FlaresPro. It'll make that treble spike on the RE-800 sound like nothing!

Anyways, the RE-800 sounded slightly recessed to me, but as I mentioned, it wasn't a major recess at all. My unit of the RE-800 sounded as if there was a slightly different tuning than some of yours. I didn't have the treble spike problem, and the bass seemed a bit boosted. I don't deny the bass may have played a part in the recess though.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #171 of 270
Tips, insertion depth, music you were playing, volume you were playing at, source, individual preference - all can have an affect on our perception. I'd think all of that more likely to have an influence rather than different tuning :wink:

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #172 of 270
Tips, insertion depth, music you were playing, volume you were playing at, source, individual preference - all can have an affect on our perception. I'd think all of that more likely to have an influence rather than different tuning :wink:

I agree with this. Chances are we have different words to define sounds as well, imagine that even if we all agree on what neutral means, we might disagree on where too bright is since some of us like bright sounds. Same for dark sounds.

Detailed situation: I really like V-shaped signatures like ie800 and Kinera H3 and Signature Studio and so on. Those might be a bit bright for some, or the top end might seem hot for some, but I cannot call it hot, rather energetic. I heard a hot top end with the original HD800, where it was kinda too much, but with the ones above, it is just right for me, yet some people might find those a bit more than they want, especially if they are using music that is brighter by definition - like pop.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #174 of 270
I was curious, how comes that the discussions slowed down? :darthsmile:

HiFiMAN even addressed the most important aspect of RE800 if I remember well, they should be selling like hot cakes!

It seems that the entire site activity has slowed down as of late. I respect Head-Fi for all the good it has provided over the years, and I certainly acknowledge the help I've received from this site, especially in this thread from members, and even moderator Brooko, who despite our brief misunderstandings at first, has shown very helpful professionalism to me here, even in pm.

The problem I see, besides possibly people being turned away by the new forum software, which I personally dislike but not enough for me to not participate here, there seemed to be alot of disgruntled people upset at the way the transfer happened. I know of another site for Sprint and other wireless technology discussions that recently had a major upgrade, but it was handled much better by the staff informing people in advance, along with getting member's insight on appearance and other issues that were very welcomed by the members in how the staff worked well with everyone pertaining the changes.

My gripe with Head-Fi, if anything, is the way I've been treated by the staff member in charge of the 2018 CanJam thread, which brought back very bad memories in how I was treated by the Mysterium comittee (a Myst fan gathering) back when it was held in Chicago several years ago. I experienced several discriminatory actions done to me there, and the utter contempt I've received in that CanJam thread has really made me feel that if CanJam were to happen here in Chicago, I feel as if I'd very likely receive the same kind of negative treatment by the organizers there as I did at the Mysterium event.

Regarding this thread specifically though, perhaps the RE800 just isn't selling too well, or there just isn't much interest in it. I have my opinions, but I don't wish to judge HiFiMan as a business. I've already given the RE800 a mostly positive review, though I think the bass hump is a bit much, plus the vocals could be more forward. However, it does one thing very well, and its in the lower treble region being extended, while mostly tuning down the upper treble, something I wish Flare Audio would have done with the FlaresPro, an earphone that basically fixes the flaws of the RE800 in terms of reducing the bass and making the vocals more forward.

There is something I really do like from HiFiMan, and that is their RE-00 earphone made in collaboration with Massdrop. That produces a sound signature very similar to my preference. Lesser bass quantity while still adding enough for the emotional impact of music. Forward, Clear Vocals. Plus, an amazing amount of detail in the lower treble, while not messing up on the upper treble with metallic fizzy hissy harshness that unfortunately plagues certain music played through the FlaresPro.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #175 of 270
It seems that the entire site activity has slowed down as of late. I respect Head-Fi for all the good it has provided over the years, and I certainly acknowledge the help I've received from this site, especially in this thread from members, and even moderator Brooko, who despite our brief misunderstandings at first, has shown very helpful professionalism to me here, even in pm.

The problem I see, besides possibly people being turned away by the new forum software, which I personally dislike but not enough for me to not participate here, there seemed to be alot of disgruntled people upset at the way the transfer happened. I know of another site for Sprint and other wireless technology discussions that recently had a major upgrade, but it was handled much better by the staff informing people in advance, along with getting member's insight on appearance and other issues that were very welcomed by the members in how the staff worked well with everyone pertaining the changes.

My gripe with Head-Fi, if anything, is the way I've been treated by the staff member in charge of the 2018 CanJam thread, which brought back very bad memories in how I was treated by the Mysterium comittee (a Myst fan gathering) back when it was held in Chicago several years ago. I experienced several discriminatory actions done to me there, and the utter contempt I've received in that CanJam thread has really made me feel that if CanJam were to happen here in Chicago, I feel as if I'd very likely receive the same kind of negative treatment by the organizers there as I did at the Mysterium event.

Regarding this thread specifically though, perhaps the RE800 just isn't selling too well, or there just isn't much interest in it. I have my opinions, but I don't wish to judge HiFiMan as a business. I've already given the RE800 a mostly positive review, though I think the bass hump is a bit much, plus the vocals could be more forward. However, it does one thing very well, and its in the lower treble region being extended, while mostly tuning down the upper treble, something I wish Flare Audio would have done with the FlaresPro, an earphone that basically fixes the flaws of the RE800 in terms of reducing the bass and making the vocals more forward.

There is something I really do like from HiFiMan, and that is their RE-00 earphone made in collaboration with Massdrop. That produces a sound signature very similar to my preference. Lesser bass quantity while still adding enough for the emotional impact of music. Forward, Clear Vocals. Plus, an amazing amount of detail in the lower treble, while not messing up on the upper treble with metallic fizzy hissy harshness that unfortunately plagues certain music played through the FlaresPro.

Woah, that has been quite the complex answer :beyersmile:

I even forgot how the old site used to look like now. I think that the new site is very good, even better now - since it feels modern, and it kinda works better on my machine, shows a bit better what threads have new content, and so on.

About RE800, I was curious why people aren't more curious about it, because they are awesome IEMs! I mean, they really have their place out there in the world and while I am writing about them I realise more and more that they are pretty awesome IEMs!

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #176 of 270
Out of the limited number of top tier iems I've heard, the RE800 is easily one of my favorites. I pick it up over the RE2000 more often than not because it's more comfortable and I prefer it's brighter, more energetic signature. The treble spike isn't a bother at all and it's low end is boosted just enough to satisfy my need for some thump with D'n'B tracks. It's a very easy earphone to listen to, more so now than when I first reviewed it. Attribute it to physical or metal burn in, whichever you believe in. Would love if more people had them, but I see ownership being limited due to the price. I can imagine a single dynamic, fixed cable iem is a hard sell at 699 USD regardless of how amazing they are.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #177 of 270
Out of the limited number of top tier iems I've heard, the RE800 is easily one of my favorites. I pick it up over the RE2000 more often than not because it's more comfortable and I prefer it's brighter, more energetic signature. The treble spike isn't a bother at all and it's low end is boosted just enough to satisfy my need for some thump with D'n'B tracks. It's a very easy earphone to listen to, more so now than when I first reviewed it. Attribute it to physical or metal burn in, whichever you believe in. Would love if more people had them, but I see ownership being limited due to the price. I can imagine a single dynamic, fixed cable iem is a hard sell at 699 USD regardless of how amazing they are.

Well, ie800 is one of the best selling IEMs, and it also is a Single Dynamic Driver IEM with pretty much fixed cable.

I am a bit confused though, aren't new RE800 made with detachable cables? I remember that there was some talk about this a while before (?)

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #178 of 270
Well, ie800 is one of the best selling IEMs, and it also is a Single Dynamic Driver IEM with pretty much fixed cable.

I am a bit confused though, aren't new RE800 made with detachable cables? I remember that there was some talk about this a while before (?)

Yeah, but the IE800 also has the Sennheiser brand, reputation, finances, and a 70+ year legacy backing it up. I'm sure that has all played a significant part in the IE800's success.

Totally forgot about the revised MMCX version. Not sure of it's out yet as the store info still shows the fixed cable model. Wouldn't surprise me if potential buyers were holding out, esp. those who love cable swapping and running their gear balanced.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #179 of 270

"best selling" is relative to a time period when it was released and considering other competition (or lack of it) around that time. I hardly see anybody talking about IE800 today, or in the last year. Just too many new releases, that's a reason. It's a very competitive market, in every price category. With RE800, around new release time you get a lot of buzz, a lot of hype, and a lot of reviews (from people who didn't buy the product). Once this first wave dies out, it's time for the actual customers to continue the discussion and reviewers to chime in with their help and support. So, you can interpret it either way, and decide for yourself why this thread kind of died out. Just like you can draw your own conclusion why Andy Regan, the President of JH Audio, just joined HifiMAN as Chief Marketing Officer :wink:

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #180 of 270
Well... I've got the RE800 in now, thanks to all this chatter, playing off the Shanling M3s. This system does a marvelous job reproducing Melissa Menago's binaural record, LITTLE CRIMES. Simply fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back