Hifiman RE-800
Jul 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #151 of 262
It's a narrow spike so it affects a pretty narrow range. If you're not sensitive to that frequency, you may not notice it as much as others. For me it's particularly noticeable with cymbals. Instead of hearing that nice "tish" sound with natural decay, I get a "tizz" instead. Quite harsh and brutal.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #152 of 262
It's a narrow spike so it affects a pretty narrow range. If you're not sensitive to that frequency, you may not notice it as much as others. For me it's particularly noticeable with cymbals. Instead of hearing that nice "tish" sound with natural decay, I get a "tizz" instead. Quite harsh and brutal.

I'm curious how iem earphone manufacturers make these tuning decisions. I'd imagine there are sites where I could learn the intricate nature of design and tuning them, just that I haven't searched enough yet for this purpose. It is something I'm interested in though. Especially would be nice if a manufacturer was interested in creating something with my tuning preference, but have me be at the place where they do this so I can learn in person, step by step.

Anyways, I wonder how these spikes and dips within the frequency response get decided upon in the process, particularly if there is risk involved in their being harshness in the sound. I think I'm finally understanding what a treble spike is, and as much I like treble openness and detail, even I'd be a bit annoyed by loud clashing reverberation from cymbals.

Again, I'm not hearing this from my RE800, just the detail in treble through the Meridian Explorer2, though detail is lost on the other sources I've tried. So, while the ME2/RE800 combo is very good in that way, and yes it lessens the bass quantity enough for me, it isn't bringing back up the vocals enough in what I figure might happen if the tuning were more like in Brooko's graph, which is a very accurate and great measurement, but either there is a tuning difference, or as others mentioned, it could be the port really needs to remain unblocked.

However, I appreciate all the support I've received on this matter from those here on Head-Fi, and in general from what I've written here. I'm very glad this site is here and I've learned an immense amount of knowledge regarding personal audio, and still am.

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #153 of 262
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #154 of 262
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #155 of 262
Here's my take on the RE800, the thing is there is a lot I really like about them, even with the treble peak.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-re800.22484/reviews#review-18964

Woah, nice!

I actually like RE-800, although I do hear that treble spike as well. Still tip rolling them RE-800 for finding the best combination for sonic impressions!

Very good review!

Seems like everyone gets to hear the treble peak, but me. I feel left out.

Edit note : For some reason, emoticons aren't appearing here for me.

I still have a feeling that you're somehow covering the bass port and this is the reason why you're hearing a slightly different signature.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #156 of 262
Woah, nice!

I actually like RE-800, although I do hear that treble spike as well. Still tip rolling them RE-800 for finding the best combination for sonic impressions!

I still have a feeling that you're somehow covering the bass port and this is the reason why you're hearing a slightly different signature.

The bass may be effected by the earphone going in my ear too deep, but I'm not sure how that would affect the treble. Although, the detail is still great on the RE800, which is why I don't understand why I can't hear the spikyness in cymbals, etc.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #157 of 262
The bass may be effected by the earphone going in my ear too deep, but I'm not sure how that would affect the treble. Although, the detail is still great on the RE800, which is why I don't understand why I can't hear the spikyness in cymbals, etc.

If you have more bass, then you can essentially have that mask (or soften) the perceived treble response. Basically you don't hear all of the treble peak because of the extra bass. Insertion depth can also affect treble response as well.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #159 of 262
If you have more bass, then you can essentially have that mask (or soften) the perceived treble response. Basically you don't hear all of the treble peak because of the extra bass. Insertion depth can also affect treble response as well.

I had alot of ear problems as a child, underwent several eartube operations. Perhaps that is why I'm stuck using the largest ear tips just to get a decent seal, and it has the effect where I have to place them deep in order to do this. My health effects never seem to stop. Too bad I don't like bass, as my ears are perfect for it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #160 of 262
I fully understand. I have asymmetrical ear canals. My left is larger than my right. Makes tip selection a real issue sometimes, and why I have a lot of problems with silicone. Sony do a tip called a Sony Isolation (basically a silicone outer with foam inner). Might eb worth trying. And apparently the Mandarins must be pretty good too - although I am yet to try those.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #161 of 262
I had alot of ear problems as a child, underwent several eartube operations. Perhaps that is why I'm stuck using the largest ear tips just to get a decent seal, and it has the effect where I have to place them deep in order to do this. My health effects never seem to stop. Too bad I don't like bass, as my ears are perfect for it.

I used to get ear infections often as a kid so tubes were installed in my ear canals. Started getting lots of infections again as a teen so my parents took me to the doc. They blasted some water in there to clean things out and what do you know....out come the tubes that were supposed to drop by themselves 10+ years before. Tubes suck, haha. I feel your pain.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #162 of 262
I used to get ear infections often as a kid so tubes were installed in my ear canals. Started getting lots of infections again as a teen so my parents took me to the doc. They blasted some water in there to clean things out and what do you know....out come the tubes that were supposed to drop by themselves 10+ years before. Tubes suck, haha. I feel your pain.

I had that jet thing done once some years ago too, made me a bit nervous because I read if it isn't done correctly, the result could end up with the receiver having tinnitus. I do get a bit of ringing from time to time, though nothing permanent. Its definitely something I hope can be cured though very soon.

I don't have general treble sensitivities, unless their is sibilance involved in the sound, which that can trigger the ringing noise I sometimes get. I find balanced armatures have more sibilance, hence a reason why I try finding a warm dynamic like the RE800, but a Dynamic I try to find with lesser bass, but enough to warm up the vocals.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #163 of 262
My view on the RE800.

https://head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-re800.22484/reviews#review-18970

DSC01627.JPG

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #164 of 262

Good review, and definitely interesting views on the treble!

My mother helped me out by speaking on behalf to Mark about my issue which possibly is with the vent as people here have been suggesting. I haven't been well health-wise the past 24 hours or so, but it helped she was available to speak with Mark today for me, regarding the RE800.

Since I don't know how to take measurements, I can't try to get one done to show the impression of it with the vent closed, although as others have been saying, it probably increases the bass results in a frequency response graph. I'v'e been explaining these technical details to my mother who has learned alot about this, and will be interesting to get her views on audio when she gets to listening to the Grado I gave her.

In the meantime, I'll keep watch to see what else HiFiMan develops.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #165 of 262
I have far too many IEM's to listen to at the moment, but I grabbed these for a quick listen and am still really impressed by their dynamics and I do really like the treble with these grey silicone tips, the peak isn't as annoying as with some of the stock tips.

Really fun, impactful and dynamic, but the separation and air is superb too.

IMG_20170919_160134-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back