HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Jun 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #31 of 301
this re400 is UNBELIEVABLY good for this price level.

I was not impressed for the first week, but it opened up hugely after 2-3 weeks, so balance, fast, and crystal clear, I just can not describe how happy I am with this purchase. It is a truely no brainier under $300 iems for me.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #32 of 301
Great review, Mark. I don't think many audiophiles are fooled by the "moar bass is better" crap played through the mainstream. However, I will say that I enjoy my MG7s immensely, but they handle the bass so well that it's hard not to like. Hell, I can dig any type of coloring if it's done with some class, but there's something to a more natural sound that pulls me back. These RE-400s seem right up my alley, so I ordered a set. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #33 of 301
Quote:
I am listening through them now to Gerschwin's Concerto in F on my MacBook Pro.  Also through Ipod Classic 160GB earlier. Both terrific. Plenty of power for lows and highs. Right up there with my HD 800s through my NAD 375DAC.  Not o much in terms of soundstage. The most incredible musical instrument in a small package I've ever experienced.  I am into classical music and if you want to check out the low end performance get a copy of Saint Saen's Symphony #3 (Organ Sym). Be prepared for a "mind blowing" experience.

So maybe I am not crazy in thinking that they compare favorably to my HE-500s after all.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #34 of 301
i listened to all of that so called top tier multi balanced armature iems, from heir4ai, to ue900, to sd2, sd3, w4 and so on. none of them gave me that perfect balance, live like presentation, comfort and neutral tonality with just the right amaount of musicality like the re400 do. to me there is no iem aut there, than can handle all genres from eletronik to classical that well. these are true gems. if i would not know the price, i would have thought, that they cost about 500$.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #35 of 301
I would like to see hifiman step up the build quality of iems, and possibly ba/multi driver iems! Improved cable which isnt thin and microphonic, cable slider which actually works, over ear design and better tip selection! Two biflanges which are shallow fit and tiny for my ears, then theres dual flange which is too large

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #36 of 301
Ok, I've been listening to them for a bit and they're incredible. Such a natural sound. They act more as a "medium" for the music rather than imparting an individual characteristic, which is really enjoyable. As stated before, no frequency particularly stands out, which allows them to be great with every genre and as unbiased of an IEM that I've heard. They're detailed and precise, but not without a bit of warmth and body. The style and fit are right on. These are definitely my favorite pair of IEMs thus far. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #37 of 301
Quote:
Ok, I've been listening to them for a bit and they're incredible. Such a natural sound. They act more as a "medium" for the music rather than imparting an individual characteristic, which is really enjoyable. As stated before, no frequency particularly stands out, which allows them to be great with every genre and as unbiased of an IEM that I've heard. They're detailed and precise, but not without a bit of warmth and body. The style and fit are right on. These are definitely my favorite pair of IEMs thus far. 

i think you would have liked the 252 then, very much a mechanism to allow music to happen without having a sound themselves.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #38 of 301
Quote:

i think you would have liked the 252 then, very much a mechanism to allow music to happen without having a sound themselves.

I might have to look into those. I do really dig the touch of warmth and body that the RE-400s put out. It's not enough to sound like a "niche" earphone, but just enough to make the music inviting and soulful. I'm thoroughly impressed, as they're great with every genre I throw at them. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #39 of 301
I was recommended these and I had a question for those with experience.

How do the HiFiMan RE-400's feel when lying down with your head on a pillow? Do they protrude out from the ear a lot? I have UE 700's at the moment and really dig them for their small form factor, but they're on their last legs and I thought I'd try something different and see if I can go one step up. I feel the UE 900's might be a little bit too pricey for me right now, but these were recommended by another forumite so I thought I'd look into them, despite being cheaper than the EU 700's.

I'm looking for a neutral sounding in-ear headphone with great clarity and noticeable warmth. I only use 'phones that wrap around the ear. I prefer the support. This means I need a cable that doesn't mind contorting and twisting around my ear aggressively. Noise isolation is important to me, but I don't need or want total silence. Just enough to keep background noise where it should be—in the background. I love my UE 700's for their clarity and size, but I would like a little bit more bass without losing clarity. I listen to a variety of music, from heavy metal, to folk, to hip-hop.

Any thoughts?

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #40 of 301
Quote:
I was recommended these and I had a question for those with experience.

How do the HiFiMan RE-400's feel when lying down with your head on a pillow? Do they protrude out from the ear a lot? I have UE 700's at the moment and really dig them for their small form factor, but they're on their last legs and I thought I'd try something different and see if I can go one step up. I feel the UE 900's might be a little bit too pricey for me right now, but these were recommended by another forumite so I thought I'd look into them, despite being cheaper than the EU 700's.

I'm looking for a neutral sounding in-ear headphone with great clarity and noticeable warmth. I only use 'phones that wrap around the ear. I prefer the support. This means I need a cable that doesn't mind contorting and twisting around my ear aggressively. Noise isolation is important to me, but I don't need or want total silence. Just enough to keep background noise where it should be—in the background. I love my UE 700's for their clarity and size, but I would like a little bit more bass without losing clarity. I listen to a variety of music, from heavy metal, to folk, to hip-hop.

Any thoughts?

The RE400s don't protrude at all.  They are practically invisible if you wear them over the ear once inserted.  Tyll (from innerfidelity) was actually thinking these would work great on a motorbike due to their size.  I already explained the sound in the UE 900 thread.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #43 of 301
can anyone comment how's instruments sounds separation? i love to listen to individual instrument plays in a song as i like to learn playing the instruments. from all the reviews i've read, i'm definitely will be getting this. and also, is burn-in majorly required for this IEM, i mean will greatly improve the sound? or it just sounds great readily out of box?

based on the reviews, i must say this is what i was looking for, a great IEM at the best possible price tag, so to say to those most high priced IEM out there -hey **** off with your overpriced, you doesn't sound any greater than this cheap IEM. :p my fav IEM was UE TF10, in which i still think it is overpriced although i love the sound.. i mean, after all these years, with lots of brands around and R&D, things should be cheaper, right.. thanks Hifiman for the effort, i will definitely support you by buying your products, keep on. if RE-400 at $99 is already exceptionally great, thus i am expecting the $399 RE-600 will be very much greater to define the 4x price tag, and i will definitely grab those as well. :wink:

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #44 of 301
It definitely needs burn-in for me. Sounded bright and thin out of the box, the bass was like muted in some way.... however, magic happens after around 100 hours. now they are absolutely the end game iems for $99, even for sub $300 for me. Still amazed how well these tiny stuff can sound...

Can not be more curious about the RE-600
L3000.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #45 of 301
i asked this in the other re-400 thread, but this one seems more active:

just curious, i ordered my re-400's today and i was wondering if they respond well to amping or not. thinking about buying a cmoy but maybe it's an unnecessary expenditure given that i only use iem's other than my sennheisers i use for the xbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back