HIFIMAN Jade II Loaner Tour
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #76 of 167
Mar 22, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #77 of 167
Just realized this existed.
Might be a longshot, since the list is already quite long, but I'll also want to put my name down for the tour.
I'm located in Arlington, VA.

I have had the chance to listen to the Shangrila Sr and Jr at various canjams/stores before, but never had the chance to listen to a hifiman electrostat using my own system.

As a big estat fan and an owner of a few estats, it will certainly be a pleasure for me to listen to the Jade 2!

Mar 22, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #78 of 167
Has there/is there a list available that provides the shipping order so that participants may plan ahead for the Jade II?

There is not, we will let participants know when they are next in line so they will get a couple weeks notice and can confirm they are still available and interested.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #80 of 167
Sure, I'll bite!

I'd love to compare the Jade II to the HE-1000 V2 and the Susvara. I think the price point for a full electrostatic headphone and amp combo is really taking aim at the e-stat market. Two weeks in heaven?

I'm in Sale, United Kingdom.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #81 of 167
Okay, so I'm on tour with Jade II and I'm going to participate to this thread :)

Disclaimer: I need to send Jade II forward after a short while, this impressions are part of the Jade II Tour, organized by HIFIMAN.

Okay, so this won't be my typical first impressions post. This is because this ain't a typical headphone with a typical sound. This is probably what people looking for an end-game setup are looking for. Something that simply works with all music, and does so really well. Also, those are very very early impressions :)

I heard the Empyrean and LCD-MX4, you'd thinkg I'm hard to impress. I also heard Stax SR-507 Pro, so I'm not new to electrostats either.

- Jade II is one of the most natural sounding Headphone I have ever heard up to this point. Not just natural, man, they sound like air. Like actually being there. There's no speaker, no headphone, and no AMP to describe, I only hear the music, they are not a transparent window, there is no window this time, they simply play.
- They don't just sound good. They simply sound right. They sound enjoyable
- I can enjoy 50 Cent's voice, then go straight to A Static Lullaby or Dance Gavin Dance, and I feel like that is the voice of the artist. Those are the instruments. The Headphone itself doesn't impose its character on the music, it renders the music with a dynamic and a punchiness, a realism, that words can hardly describe
- Iron Maiden, I simply love the vivid image of the guitars, the sweet and musical voice.
- I usually describe the speed of the bass, midrange and texture of the treble. With Jade II, I'd call the speed light-fast. They simply are so fast you can hear everything. I speak English fairly well, and I never could understand lyrics in some songs, but Jade II has such a clarity, speed and resolution, I can understand every single word in every single song, including really poorly mastered music.
- I'm throwing the most stressful music I have at them as I write those impressions just to see how much I can stress them and to find a mistake! Even the first few albums from The Offspring sound so darn good. Like I'm there. Like that is how they were supposed to sound. Like not just natural, but absolutely natural
- Usually, I like to sing while listening to music, but with Jade II I can't, I feel like listening more than singing!
- Have you ever heard Mr. Crowley? I can describe the synths in the background with ease, there are no distortions, no incoherencies, no harshness, no grain, everything is absolutely musical, but detailed to the point where if I wasn't wearing the headphones I'd think the whole song is played in my room, by Ozzy and his band.
- Testing with Not Coming Home by Maroon 5, one of my test tracks for realism of a live performance, combined with a crowd, combined with Adam Levine's voice that is simply hard to play by headphones, I never heard it this open and this transparent, this real. The guitars are so sweet they glaze the entire sound. The bass is very neutral, but very deep and present where it should be. The treble is not bright, not dark, the cymbals are just natural. Naturally textured, NATURAL.
- System of a Dawn - Toxicity, the guitars are so much like picking the strings of a guitar in real life. I can play a bit of guitar, and I know this is how the guitars should sound like. The drums are exactly as quick as they'd be in real life, if the drummer was playing those live.
- The main body of the music is on the lighter side, they aren't thick, they are simply transparent. Those are not for bassheads, but when using bass test tracks, they can go all the way down without, but they won't thicken voices nor thicken the sound in rock / metal songs, they simply let the guitars and other instruments, and the voices shine, while placing the bass right where it belongs.
- They are light as a feather!! This is how a flagship should be, both to sound good and be comfortable!
- This being said,t he headband mechanism is exactly the same as the one on Sundara and HE6SE, I'm not even joking, I have Sundara next to Jade II, both the headband, the leather band, and the mechanism that attaches the cups is the same. Make of it what you make, it is good enough for me and I trust it.
- The cups are huge, comofrtable. Think about HD800 levels of comfort, but better, because Jade II is a bit tighter and doesn't feel loose, which was an issue with me medium sized head and HD800S.
- The soundstage isn't just huge, it is open. Literally open. Not spread out, but open, as in, they sound open. They feel open. The sound doesn't feel simply wide or spread out, it feels naturally open. Same for the instrument separation, it doesn't feel like the instruments are too separated or cut with a cutter, each instrument is simly its own thing, unique and well defined, without feeling too distant from the other instruments, although the instrument separation is amazing, them blending together is still great
- The cables are slightly microphonic, but you are going to be sitting at a desk with JadeII, and not walking while wearing them
- I listened to them as loud as Jade II AMP goes, very clear and crisp up to the highest limit, granted I am turning the DAC in a bit lower, but I doubt most people will go above half Jade II's AMP's potential for casual listening.
- If I was to describe the sound, I'd say it follows the Harman Curve pretty faithfully, if anything, they have a bit less body than absolutely natural, bot otherwise they are natural, neutral and linear, all at once. Nothing is exaggerated, they are simply done right.
- The stage is really wide.
- To reiterate, Jade II is a pretty linear headphone, has a really low-reaching bass, when it is called for, but it isn't bassy. The body and the upper bass is less enhanced. The midrange is in line with the bass and the treble on an overall level. The midrange is very natural and clear, dynamic and musical, euphonic. They aren't analytic by nature, but they have a lot of detail and well done textures. The treble is natural, right where it swhould be, not too smooth, not grainy, just natural. Staging is large, and they sound open.
- Please keep in mind, for me it is a tour unit, really, I've nothing to gain from liking them, but I really do. I can't hide my own real feelings, this is a sound I not only can get behind, but stand for. The memory may betray me, but I wasn't this impressed with Sennheiser HE-1, as I am with Jade II using the same songs. I mean, of course, the conditions were not ideal when I tested HE-1, but I don't recall this kind of soundstage and absolute transparency, I don't recall the same details I can hear with Jade II.
- Overall, you can call me really impresed by them so far!

D2rBpjYWoAA3J9O.jpg:large

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #82 of 167
Okay, so I'm on tour with Jade II and I'm going to participate to this thread :)

Disclaimer: I need to send Jade II forward after a short while, this impressions are part of the Jade II Tour, organized by HIFIMAN.

Okay, so this won't be my typical first impressions post. This is because this ain't a typical headphone with a typical sound. This is probably what people looking for an end-game setup are looking for. Something that simply works with all music, and does so really well. Also, those are very very early impressions :)

I heard the Empyrean and LCD-MX4, you'd thinkg I'm hard to impress. I also heard Stax SR-507 Pro, so I'm not new to electrostats either.

- Jade II is one of the most natural sounding Headphone I have ever heard up to this point. Not just natural, man, they sound like air. Like actually being there. There's no speaker, no headphone, and no AMP to describe, I only hear the music, they are not a transparent window, there is no window this time, they simply play.
- They don't just sound good. They simply sound right. They sound enjoyable
- I can enjoy 50 Cent's voice, then go straight to A Static Lullaby or Dance Gavin Dance, and I feel like that is the voice of the artist. Those are the instruments. The Headphone itself doesn't impose its character on the music, it renders the music with a dynamic and a punchiness, a realism, that words can hardly describe
- Iron Maiden, I simply love the vivid image of the guitars, the sweet and musical voice.
- I usually describe the speed of the bass, midrange and texture of the treble. With Jade II, I'd call the speed light-fast. They simply are so fast you can hear everything. I speak English fairly well, and I never could understand lyrics in some songs, but Jade II has such a clarity, speed and resolution, I can understand every single word in every single song, including really poorly mastered music.
- I'm throwing the most stressful music I have at them as I write those impressions just to see how much I can stress them and to find a mistake! Even the first few albums from The Offspring sound so darn good. Like I'm there. Like that is how they were supposed to sound. Like not just natural, but absolutely natural
- Usually, I like to sing while listening to music, but with Jade II I can't, I feel like listening more than singing!
- Have you ever heard Mr. Crowley? I can describe the synths in the background with ease, there are no distortions, no incoherencies, no harshness, no grain, everything is absolutely musical, but detailed to the point where if I wasn't wearing the headphones I'd think the whole song is played in my room, by Ozzy and his band.
- Testing with Not Coming Home by Maroon 5, one of my test tracks for realism of a live performance, combined with a crowd, combined with Adam Levine's voice that is simply hard to play by headphones, I never heard it this open and this transparent, this real. The guitars are so sweet they glaze the entire sound. The bass is very neutral, but very deep and present where it should be. The treble is not bright, not dark, the cymbals are just natural. Naturally textured, NATURAL.
- System of a Dawn - Toxicity, the guitars are so much like picking the strings of a guitar in real life. I can play a bit of guitar, and I know this is how the guitars should sound like. The drums are exactly as quick as they'd be in real life, if the drummer was playing those live.
- The main body of the music is on the lighter side, they aren't thick, they are simply transparent. Those are not for bassheads, but when using bass test tracks, they can go all the way down without, but they won't thicken voices nor thicken the sound in rock / metal songs, they simply let the guitars and other instruments, and the voices shine, while placing the bass right where it belongs.
- They are light as a feather!! This is how a flagship should be, both to sound good and be comfortable!
- This being said,t he headband mechanism is exactly the same as the one on Sundara and HE6SE, I'm not even joking, I have Sundara next to Jade II, both the headband, the leather band, and the mechanism that attaches the cups is the same. Make of it what you make, it is good enough for me and I trust it.
- The cups are huge, comofrtable. Think about HD800 levels of comfort, but better, because Jade II is a bit tighter and doesn't feel loose, which was an issue with me medium sized head and HD800S.
- The soundstage isn't just huge, it is open. Literally open. Not spread out, but open, as in, they sound open. They feel open. The sound doesn't feel simply wide or spread out, it feels naturally open. Same for the instrument separation, it doesn't feel like the instruments are too separated or cut with a cutter, each instrument is simly its own thing, unique and well defined, without feeling too distant from the other instruments, although the instrument separation is amazing, them blending together is still great
- The cables are slightly microphonic, but you are going to be sitting at a desk with JadeII, and not walking while wearing them
- I listened to them as loud as Jade II AMP goes, very clear and crisp up to the highest limit, granted I am turning the DAC in a bit lower, but I doubt most people will go above half Jade II's AMP's potential for casual listening.
- If I was to describe the sound, I'd say it follows the Harman Curve pretty faithfully, if anything, they have a bit less body than absolutely natural, bot otherwise they are natural, neutral and linear, all at once. Nothing is exaggerated, they are simply done right.
- The stage is really wide.
- To reiterate, Jade II is a pretty linear headphone, has a really low-reaching bass, when it is called for, but it isn't bassy. The body and the upper bass is less enhanced. The midrange is in line with the bass and the treble on an overall level. The midrange is very natural and clear, dynamic and musical, euphonic. They aren't analytic by nature, but they have a lot of detail and well done textures. The treble is natural, right where it swhould be, not too smooth, not grainy, just natural. Staging is large, and they sound open.
- Please keep in mind, for me it is a tour unit, really, I've nothing to gain from liking them, but I really do. I can't hide my own real feelings, this is a sound I not only can get behind, but stand for. The memory may betray me, but I wasn't this impressed with Sennheiser HE-1, as I am with Jade II using the same songs. I mean, of course, the conditions were not ideal when I tested HE-1, but I don't recall this kind of soundstage and absolute transparency, I don't recall the same details I can hear with Jade II.
- Overall, you can call me really impresed by them so far!

D2rBpjYWoAA3J9O.jpg:large
You must be using a different amp for these, there is like zero bass or volume on that amp for the Jadeii. Yes, they sound really smooth and polite, but that's where it ends. To me at least.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #83 of 167
You must be using a different amp for these, there is like zero bass or volume on that amp for the Jadeii. Yes, they sound really smooth and polite, but that's where it ends. To me at least.

Man, they are not for a basshead, but I really love them.

Thing is, they don't have a large bass and will surely feel underwhelming if you pump them at 110 dB, all electrostatics are best within 85 - 95 dB.

I have been listening to them at medium volumes, between 50 and 80 dB, and I just fell in love with the soundstage, the detail, the clarity, the crispppp sound.

The bass doesn't impress in quantity, but it does impress in detail and depth. In clarity as well.

They are a linear headphone, not a bass-heavy or a V-shaped one, just natural linear sound.

thing is, I typically love more bass, and I typically go for a much stronger sub-bass, but those made me fall in love with their effortless signature as they are. You like Empys, right? Empy should have pretty much the exact same tuning, both follow the Harman Curve more or less. I will be doing a side-by-side with Jade II and empy for detail and clarity when I meet with @dusty.ro here in Romania . Shame I only have two weeks, but I will try to let as many people as I can try them around in Bucharest.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #84 of 167

Thing is, they don't have a large bass and will surely feel underwhelming if you pump them at 110 dB, all electrostatics are best within 85 - 95 dB.

I have been listening to them at medium volumes, between 50 and 80 dB, and I just fell in love with the soundstage, the detail, the clarity, the crispppp sound.

The bass doesn't impress in quantity, but it does impress in detail and depth. In clarity as well.

They are a linear headphone, not a bass-heavy or a V-shaped one, just natural linear sound.

thing is, I typically love more bass, and I typically go for a much stronger sub-bass, but those made me fall in love with their effortless signature as they are. You like Empys, right? Empy should have pretty much the exact same tuning, both follow the Harman Curve more or less. I will be doing a side-by-side with Jade II and empy for detail and clarity when I meet with @dusty.ro here in Romania . Shame I only have two weeks, but I will try to let as many people as I can try them around in Bucharest.
I have them at home for the US tour. Maybe the low volume isn't for me. Don't get me wrong they do sound really nice but it gets tiring because there isn't a lot of fun to be had.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #85 of 167
You must have a different amp.

I am using the Jade II headphones and amp and the bass is not wanting at all. In fact it is excellent and does not leave one thinking, well I will sacrifice some bass for the speed and transparency of an electrostatic. These are good from top to bottom and if you aren't getting that then something needs adjustment.

With regards to bass, it is more natural, not some overwhelming thumping but all there. I listen to a lot of live music, to do my auditory tuning and the Jade II is more there than the artificial heavy bass of many headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #86 of 167
You must have a different amp.

I am using the Jade II headphones and amp and the bass is not wanting at all. In fact it is excellent and does not leave one thinking, well I will sacrifice some bass for the speed and transparency of an electrostatic. These are good from top to bottom and if you aren't getting that then something needs adjustment.
Don't get me wrong the headphone does sound good. It just isn't my cup of tea. Not everything sounds the same for everyone. For what it is and offers it's good, not great.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #87 of 167
I would love to participate in your loaner program for the Jade headphone system. I would eventually like to add a electrostatic headphone to my collection, and the Jade sounds like it might match my signature preference. I'm in Sioux Falls South Dakota, USA.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #88 of 167
Here at HIFIMAN, we want to try to give back to the community and it is with this goal in mind that we are initiating a series of Loaner Tours. In short, we are putting select products in the hands of forum members of the community so they may spread the word about HIFIMAN gear to the most important headphone community.

To kick things off, we are featuring our new Jade II electrostatic headphone system. The Jade II revisits the original HIFIMAN classic with a highly musical listening experience that places the listener in the best seat in the house. It’s a technologically superior electrostatic headphone that can be purchased alone or as part of a full system with an outboard amplifier, at suggested prices of $1,500 and $2,500, respectively. (The amplifier alone is available at a suggested retail price of $1,599.)

Interested? If so, please note that at the moment, the program is operating exclusively in North America and Europe. In the space below, please confirm that you want to borrow the system and fill your city and country (we will PM you for your full details.) Then, in a line or two, tell us why you would like to take part.

In return for being included in the program, we ask that you commit to posting your first impressions of the Jade II when it arrives, with a more detailed assessment after you use it to for a couple of weeks.

Terms & Conditions: To take part you must be located in Europe or North America. In order to confirm ensure smooth handovers and continued interest, we will give you ample notice when you are next in line for the loan. they are available and allow us to ensure smooth handovers.

HIFIMAN will select who takes part and in what order, and we will inform prospective participants when they are next in line.

The duration of the loan will be two weeks from the date it arrives at your home. We will provide you with a shipping label if possible (in countries where it isn’t an option, you will be required to send to the next participant with tracked shipping. We will refund the shipping cost when supplied with a receipt.)

Hello,
I would like to be considered for the Jade II System, I currently own Ananda's and Have never had an opportunity to try an Electrostatic System and the Jade II could be priced just right for me to consider the leap.
I reside in Long Island, NY

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #89 of 167

I have them at home for the US tour. Maybe the low volume isn't for me. Don't get me wrong they do sound really nice but it gets tiring because there isn't a lot of fun to be had.

I wasnt deemed worthy of this tour by HifiMan,but whatever....

you guys are discussing bass. Can you guys describe the texture of guitar notes? Is it smoothed over like Aeon Flow Closed,or is there some chunkiness to the guitar?

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #90 of 167
Did they ever send out a list of who is on the tour??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back