Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Sep 20, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #346 of 666
Hm so running unbalanced on the balanced card sounds better than iem? I think I understood that right lol

Yes in unbalanced mode..yes it is not 3 sec start up.. The real start up for my hm901s with 256gb sd card with abt 200gb music is abt 20 sec

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #348 of 666
  Have to say I still find the old HM901 is bit more classy on the look, though the new industrial design is pretty good as well.

I prefer the OLD Black n Gold Hifiman Style [an craftmanship]

But gawd the Scroll wheel on my HM901 is still horrid lol. Beautiful player, but man that feature always gets me

Have any of you tried the 901u vs the 901s

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worthwhile to sell my 901 an just buy the uVersion for the better battery life an the better... scroll wheel feel lol 

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #349 of 666
@ Samsara
In practical use the HM901s has 3 second startup time. It's only if you go into the menu and select a full power off, that you will get a normal startup afterwards.

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #350 of 666
I can get much better battery life if do a proper shut down after each listening. I listen to 2 album daily and the battery can last me more then a week. If i use the fake shut down and 3 sec start up the payer can only last me 3 days. Cause the player is in sleep mode and still draining battery.

Any to those that has problem displaying album art .. need to use mp3tag to tag the cover pic to the album.. Only wave and DSD doesn't support 

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #352 of 666
Yes in unbalanced mode..yes it is not 3 sec start up.. The real start up for my hm901s with 256gb sd card with abt 200gb music is abt 20 sec

My 64gb cards take at least 3 minutes.
My 128Gb card I can safely make a cup of tea, brew for 4 minutes, and get back before it finishes.

I use a genre-artist-album directory structure so that may be why it takes so long?

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #353 of 666
Just has a listen to the minibox gold card, first impression is good. Very lively sound and deep thunderous bass. This is a much powerful card. Using tg334 on balanced card I m using volume 5.5 low gain and using minibox gold I m using volume 4.

Now to the bad points.. The minibox gold sound muddy to me.. Soundstage is congested not like balanced where instruments all are position nicely. The first thing come to mind. This minibox gold card is still brand new. I belive the amp card will open out after burning in. Overall quite nice amp card to listen to..

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #355 of 666
My 64gb cards take at least 3 minutes.
My 128Gb card I can safely make a cup of tea, brew for 4 minutes, and get back before it finishes.

I use a genre-artist-album directory structure so that may be why it takes so long?

That's strange. Mine takes around a min to do a full restart, that's w a fully loaded 256gb SD card. Only a few seconds if starts from sleep.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #356 of 666
I can get much better battery life if do a proper shut down after each listening. I listen to 2 album daily and the battery can last me more then a week. If i use the fake shut down and 3 sec start up the payer can only last me 3 days. Cause the player is in sleep mode and still draining battery.

Yes, the player still drains some battery when sleeping, that's why i recharge mine every two or three days. But sometimes I don't have chance to use it for a week or so, then when I do, the battery is already flat :frowning2:. Wish the battery drains much less during sleep.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #357 of 666
I had recently upgraded in July from HM-901 to HM-901s through the $499 upgrade offer. There is now a problem with the battery of my HM-901s, it does not charge. I can operate the player only while connected to the power adapter. Have sent the battery back for replacement.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #358 of 666
fengwei:
Maybe becuase I structure Genre/Artist/Album so more directories for it to traverse? I have about 350 directories and 3000 files on a 64Gb.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #359 of 666
fengwei:
Maybe becuase I structure Genre/Artist/Album so more directories for it to traverse? I have about 350 directories and 3000 files on a 64Gb.

Yes that could be the factor.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #360 of 666
  fengwei:

I don't think so. I use this folder structure too and with an almost full 128GB SDXC card it takes 80 seconds to do a proper startup. I can think of three reasons for you to get a slow startup time:

1) SD card is solw.
2) The files have excess tags (more than the basic ones like artist, album, title, track #, disc #, date, genre, composer and comment)
3) Not so probable, but this could be a factor too: Some file type(s) might be slower to read? (FLAC versus whatever)

And of course we are here talking about a simple but proper startup, not a startup with a rescan after new files have been added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back