Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Sep 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #316 of 666
  You will need this adapter to connect a 4 pin XR balanced cable (which comes with Audeze HP's)

http://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Headphone-Adapter-Hifiman/dp/B00X2Q2SXG

Wow, 5-6 weeks from order to delivery....  looks like you've been down this road before.  I'm curious why this adapter is not available domestically is it lack of demand?

Will call Audeze and Hifiman tomorrow and get their insight. Good thing you mentioned this I could have spent many days puzzling over this. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #317 of 666
It is custom made. No one has it in stock. It is available with most cable makers (DHC, Norne, Moon Audio etc)  in US. You have to send them a mail for it & they will make it for you.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #318 of 666
I have downloaded the new 2.004 firmware, but before installing, I'd like to know if there is a way to revert to the original 2.003 firmware - in case there is unwanted issues with the new firmware. A quick search on the internet didn't show a place to download the original (2.003) HM901s firmware.

I don't care much for DSF or DFF playback anyway, so I won't hurry installing the update. Preferably I want to read that the 2.004 provides a better user experience than the 2.003 firmware and not the other way around...

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #319 of 666
  It is custom made. No one has it in stock. It is available with most cable makers (DHC, Norne, Moon Audio etc)  in US. You have to send them a mail for it & they will make it for you.

Talked to Audeze today they generally confirm your original OP they also mentioned another possibility of buying balanced cables from Audeze paired with a universal adapter from a cable supply company.

Hifiman CS did not answer  so I sent them an email.

I also forwarded the Amazon item page to Double Helix to see what they might offer.

Will update as things progress.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #320 of 666
Talked to Audeze today they generally confirm your original OP they also mentioned another possibility of buying balanced cables from Audeze paired with a universal adapter from a cable supply company.

Hifiman CS did not answer  so I sent them an email.

I also forwarded the Amazon item page to Double Helix to see what they might offer.

Will update as things progress.

Bought mine from Peter @ DHC. I would go with him, very reliable, high quality.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #321 of 666
the latest firmware 2.004 is out but I having problem upgrading the firmware..
from Hifiman procedure
Firmware Update Instruction
1. Please download the new firmware zip file first and then copy it to your SD card (Do not change the name of the firmware file or decompress it). Only the FAT32 SD card can be used. 
2. While pressing the HOME button, hold the Power key up until the HM-901 is power on. After the screen is on, release the power key. Then release the HOME button until the hifiman logo disappears. Now the player will be in recovery mode. After screen is ON, I release the pwr button.. i only got to "playing now" folder, no HIFIman logo..
3. Wait until the first picture shows on the screen. The system will be updated automatically.
4. After the update is done, power off the player and then reboot it to finish the whole process.

Anyone updated their successfully?

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #323 of 666
finally...

managed to upgrade the firmware 2.004
you need to shutdown and remove the battery else the unit will powerup back on if you insert the SD card..
and the system will not update..my previous version 2.003

So this is the procedure for me..
step 2
shutdown and removed the battery. Insert the SD card with the new firmware..
install the battery and follow the procedure 
 While pressing the HOME button, hold the Power key up until the HM-901 is power on. After the screen is on, release the power key. Then release the HOME button until the hifiman logo disappears. Now the player will be in recovery mode....

after some thought, decided to lookup the manual for the 901s
and apparently i had the misconception of how the unit being shutdown.
It seem that holding the power switch does not shutdown the unit.. the right way should be done via the setting page..

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #325 of 666
mmm......maybe not needed now but at some future firmware updates, the procedure detailed above will be invaluable. I'm skipping this firmware for the next  (damn, I'm wearing my AAW W300 AR ciem, with the Comply wrap for a better seal, connected to the HM 901S and my heart skipped a beat because the track that I was listening to had footsteps and I'm alone......I thought someone was running after me. Sonna.....so realistic) and as I was saying, I'm skipping this firmware for the next.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #326 of 666
I've upgraded my 901 to 2.004, the menus are a bit laggy on hi res and very laggy on dsf but it all works.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #327 of 666
Received my new 901s Friday and spent the weekend settimg it up. Initially my IMac  failed to recognize the USB from the player to the computer so I had to download Yosemite and use the SD reader slot on the iMac. 
Once this was completed things went fairly smooth.

I downloaded The Doors debut album from HDTRACKS using 96/24 Flac and the quality seemed only average. I'm wondering if it's the quality of the recording or the Ciems  ( UE Reference ) or an error I made downloading?

Any suggestions for demo quality recordings from the sixties  I'm looking for something that demonstrates the quality of High Rez files.

I have yet to check the FW number and will wait until i'm comfortable with the player before I update.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #328 of 666
  Received my new 901s Friday and spent the weekend settimg it up. Initially my IMac  failed to recognize the USB from the player to the computer so I had to download Yosemite and use the SD reader slot on the iMac. 
Once this was completed things went fairly smooth.

I downloaded The Doors debut album from HDTRACKS using 96/24 Flac and the quality seemed only average. I'm wondering if it's the quality of the recording or the Ciems  ( UE Reference ) or an error I made downloading?

Any suggestions for demo quality recordings from the sixties  I'm looking for something that demonstrates the quality of High Rez files.

I have yet to check the FW number and will wait until i'm comfortable with the player before I update.

The quality is ok but nothing exceptional for that recording. HD tracks says they just buy the recordings and have to trust how they are mastered and transferred, etc. I have some good stuff from them and some that isn't any better than red book. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #329 of 666
As a rule HD tracks etc are a waste of time, if you want to hear the Doors check out the
DCC CDs, it's ALL in the mastering,

Have a read on stevehoffman.tv to find the few HD tracks that are worth owning, ie very few

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #330 of 666
Those who need 2.003 Pls pm me for the link.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back