Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Aug 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #286 of 666
Got mine replacement sets. Just to check once I select 'cue support' I have many weird album. But if I never select, ape file appear as single track.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #287 of 666
Comment to jamato8's post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/656138/hifiman-hm-901-visit-pg-18-imgs-pg-19-new-beta-fw-1st-page-to-the-901s/3285#post_11866426

Quote:
Some impressions of the 901s. 

I love the 901s with classical. The violin comes across sweat but with authority. Orchestral weight is wonderful with a presence knocking down a barrier that can sometimes separate the listener from the sound. When well recorded even on loud passages, the 901s easily maintains a separation of instruments and space that creates that illusion of the musical event. 

(....)

Your sonic impressions regarding classical music matches mine.

I also have a feeling (based on memory) that the HM901s has audibly less jitter than the HM901: Resolution is better, treble is clearly more detailed and nuanced and close sounds seem even more present and (and I dare say) holographic.

The sonic character of the HM901s also seems more like what sometimes is described as typical for sigma-delta chip based DAC's than the HM901. Using my own words I would say that the upper spectrum is lighter and airier and getting slightly more attention than typical for R2R DAC's.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #288 of 666
mmm......tremendously enjoying the HM 901S > Moon Audio  Silver Dragon  LOD to 3.5 mm > Continental Dual Mono (Sonotone single-triode tubes), set to high gain  > Layla (3.5 mm. cable). Really good stuff coming out of the system. Heaps of analog goodness......

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #290 of 666
Have a deal lined-up for one of the new 901's.  

Couple of questions regarding the amp card selection. I have Ciem's from UE (ref Monitors) and Audeze  LCD2 headphones,  my question is which amp card would work best with both phones the balanced card or the gold amp card? 

I'm guessing the 901's can be used with your car audio via USB cable?

I still like the NWZX2 but the lack of info on battery life concerns me.

Any guidance appreciated !

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #291 of 666
  Have a deal lined-up for one of the new 901's.  

Couple of questions regarding the amp card selection. I have Ciem's from UE (ref Monitors) and Audeze  LCD2 headphones,  my question is which amp card would work best with both phones the balanced card or the gold amp card? 

I'm guessing the 901's can be used with your car audio via USB cable?

I still like the NWZX2 but the lack of info on battery life concerns me.

Any guidance appreciated !

I have the Balanced amp card and haven't heard the Minibox Gold.

I think the Balanced amp card is a good choice if you want to use one amp card for both heavy to drive headphones and IEM's: When using IEM's single ended only half the amp is used and this yields more usable steps on the volume dial, and when you use a full size headphone with balanced connection you benefit from the full power the amp is able to deliver as well as balanced drive of course.

When I used the Bal. amp card with the "old" HM901 I felt it was slightly veiled with HE-6 compared to high end desktop amps. With the same amp card in the HM901s, that feeling is gone. In other words the HM901s is very transparent and resolving with the Bal. amp card.

... and you are guessing wrong. The HM901s (and other HiFiMan models) can't be used for playback via USB. The SQ of the unit easily outperforms your card stereo (unless it's super high end stuff you have put a lot of money in). 

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #292 of 666
To my ears, the Gold card has a more robust sound than the balanced card. That is not to say the balanced is not excellent sounding, it is but the Gold card sounds different. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #293 of 666
Could you please add more to your impressions of the Minibox Gold vs. Balanced amp? (incl. elaborating on what you mean by more robust)

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #294 of 666
  I have the Balanced amp card and haven't heard the Minibox Gold.

I think the Balanced amp card is a good choice if you want to use one amp card for both heavy to drive headphones and IEM's: When using IEM's single ended only half the amp is used and this yields more usable steps on the volume dial, and when you use a full size headphone with balanced connection you benefit from the full power the amp is able to deliver as well as balanced drive of course.

... and you are guessing wrong. The HM901s (and other HiFiMan models) can't be used for playback via USB. The SQ of the unit easily outperforms your card stereo (unless it's super high end stuff you have put a lot of money in). 

Thanks,  your information makes sense and seems the best path to follow my DAP knowledge level is minimal. The good thing is the cards are changeable so I could always pick up the MG later. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #295 of 666
Heard the 901s with balanced card today, noticeably better than my 901 with minibox, not much but definitely another step in the right direction.

I wish I hadn't heard it!

Also heard many other players at Canjam London, but only the dead ugly Lotoo Paw Gold matched the 901s.
My listening was done with T70p and ES10 (ESW11 pads)

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #297 of 666
Heard the 901s with balanced card today, noticeably better than my 901 with minibox, not much but definitely another step in the right direction.

I wish I hadn't heard it!

Also heard many other players at Canjam London, but only the dead ugly Lotoo Paw Gold matched the 901s.
My listening was done with T70p and ES10 (ESW11 pads)

The minibox regular or gold? 

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #299 of 666
Just a few hours of listening time yesterday and I have to admit I am a little disapointed. Sounds good in some aspects, but old 901 with my N4 was THE set up, and I miss some body with the S version.
Can someone confirm the S is less powerfull on unbalanced HO ? The new steps are great, but I have to listen at a higher volume level than before.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #300 of 666
Just a few hours of listening time yesterday and I have to admit I am a little disapointed. Sounds good in some aspects, but old 901 with my N4 was THE set up, and I miss some body with the S version.
Can someone confirm the S is less powerfull on unbalanced HO ? The new steps are great, but I have to listen at a higher volume level than before.
I can confirm that I listen at higher numbers on the volume control. However, that's not the same as the max output power. It's because the steps are finer and gives lower output in the low end of the volume scale, I think. We agree that the S-version has less warmth or body in the mids, but at the same time transparency has increased. If you have a lean sounding IEM or headphone this may be a disadvantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back