Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Aug 15, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #257 of 666
this type of thing
http://www.hlj.com/product/CYB851479/Gam?utm_source=GMC_UK&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=Gam&gclid=CJDK1auPq8cCFfMZtAodBQQHSQ

they have them in Computer shops in the UK, with USB cable, screen protector, stylus, and bad ear buds for £5!
http://www.game.co.uk/en/gameware-3ds-xl-deluxe-starter-pack-blue-201772?pageSize=40&searchTerm=nintendo%20case&catGroupId= 

this is the one I use - it's a perfect fit and even has area for sd cards 

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #258 of 666
T
this type of thing
http://www.hlj.com/product/CYB851479/Gam?utm_source=GMC_UK&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=Gam&gclid=CJDK1auPq8cCFfMZtAodBQQHSQ

they have them in Computer shops in the UK, with USB cable, screen protector, stylus, and bad ear buds for £5!
http://www.game.co.uk/en/gameware-3ds-xl-deluxe-starter-pack-blue-201772?pageSize=40&searchTerm=nintendo%20case&catGroupId= 

this is the one I use - it's a perfect fit and even has area for sd cards 

Thank you. I was seeking a case for a long time. I am checking these ones now.

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #261 of 666
I tried playing dsd song with 901s ,sadly it doesnt work.i thought its dsd capable or there is a firmware that support dsd format.

It supports only DFF for the time being. I checked the DSD files you gave me they are all DSF.

http://dsd-guide.com/faq/what-difference-between-dsd-dsf-dff-files#.VdcqRCyqqko

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/dsf-or-dff-what-difference-19643/

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #262 of 666
I convert all DSD ISOs to 24/176 flac in Foobar before transfering to my 901, saves all the messing about.
I have compared DFF to 24/176 and for some reason the latter sounds better, I guess it gives the 901 less to do

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #264 of 666
Apparently there is a 901u model anyone know what's the difference in spec?

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #265 of 666
I got my HM901s (through the upgrade offer) a few days ago. A couple of things that I have noticed (all from memory, so take sound impressions with a grain of salt) compared to the HM901 is:

1) The Digital filter On/Off function seems to give quite noticeable sonic differences. Off seems to be neutral while On seems to roll off the treble several dB's. The sound difference of the HD / Vintage switch in the HM901 on the other hand was just/barely audible.

2) The sound of the S-version seems less dense and more clear than the HM901. A bit like the difference between the HM-801 and the HM901, but yet another step in the direction of clarity and transparency at the cost of warmth in the mids.

3) Build quality is a clear step up as well as the volume wheel (much smaller steps and more smooth in operation). The subjective quality feeling when holding the unit is something I really appreciate.

4) However, the scroll wheel (at least on my unit) doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over the not-so-good in HM901. Anyone with the same feelings about this?

5) The unit seems to get less warm than the HM901. Maybe it's because heat is now dissipated through the entire casing? I wonder if HiFiMan has disabled the amp card while the line out is in use, because the S-version runs much cooler.

6) Complete scan time for a full 32GB class 4 card was only about 2:30 minutes, so this is a welcome improvement. (I didn't get the timing for my 128GB class 10 card.)

7) Problems to be solved in upcoming firmware:
- System crashes when I start the player and then select "Eject SD card". This also causes the unit to throw away the "Favorites" list.
- Gapless playback still not working.
I really love the 3-second start-up time!
atsmile.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #266 of 666
Apparently there is a 901u model anyone know what's the difference in spec?
Just guessing: returned 901 units that are recased as s-versions with the new volume and scroll wheels but not the fast start-up time.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #267 of 666
mmm.....not a fan of the UI of the HM 901S. It sucks! Coming from the AKs and the Sony, the UI just needs more polishing. The noticeable lag between the scroll wheel and the display is just plain disappointing for a totl DAP. And there's the odd restart or reboot and the inexplicable slowdown when playing higher-than-16-bit/44.1 tracks. And the update library feature takes FOREVER (vs. the minutes of comparable DAPs). I actually prefer the UI of the old HM 801 over this.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #268 of 666
mmm.....not a fan of the UI of the HM 901S. It sucks! Coming from the AKs and the Sony, the UI just needs more polishing. The noticeable lag between the scroll wheel and the display is just plain disappointing for a totl DAP. And there's the odd restart or reboot and the inexplicable slowdown when playing higher-than-16-bit/44.1 tracks. And the update library feature takes FOREVER (vs. the minutes of comparable DAPs). I actually prefer the UI of the old HM 801 over this.

Too bad i was thinking of getting this.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #269 of 666
mmm.......audition it before discarding the option to purchase. The SQ off it is really nice (analog, musical, nice tonality) and the  amp module-rolling is a very nice feature set. Even with the SUCKY UI, I am keeping it.  

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #270 of 666
I came into the 901s fully aware of the limitations of the UI but I compared the differences to the older 901 in terms of faster UI startup it made it a buy for me as for the longest time I longed for the power, analogue warmth and unique tone but couldn't deal with the random crashes of the 901. So far am loving the player but am still keeping my AK240 as its really fuss-free UI. On days where I'm in a mood to travel with good time to listen on a good pair of iems, that's when I automatically reach for the 901s over the AK240.

Ps. Above is based on the HF balanced amp card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back