Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Jun 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #226 of 666
Two important questions for me: Does gapless work and have they fixed the clicks and pops when selecting random tracks? I have the HM-650 and the UI is a hot mess, I can put up with that, but no gapless and the noise would be a deal breaker, given it would be triple the HM-650 price to upgrade.  

I have firmware 2.0.0.3 and gapless playback is not supported. There is no popping noise.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #227 of 666
One thing I don't understand is why doesn't Dr F open up the firmware on this device so the community can maintain a firmware for it (Rockbox etc.). I can't imagine he is making money or has super secret patents regarding controlling the unit.

Opening the software would be great. Or just invest some effort into it. You get used to it but it's like driving a super car with only a steering wheel, brakes and gear shifter. No air conditioning, stereo or cruise control... Just the raw basics to experience the underlying hardware.

So yes, the sound quality is excellent but man it's hard to scroll through large libraries listening to different songs. On a 6 hour flight I don't listen to my music from top to bottom. I am used to building playlists on the fly.

Software is easy in today's world and I am sure hifiman can do better.

BTW, my 901s takes only a minute of two to scan the sd card. So that's not too big of an issue.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #229 of 666
That is very disheartening for me because HiFiMAN advertises that this feature finally works on the 901S. 

I also recall seeing this but went back to this product page on head-direct and could not find anything about gapless. I could have missed it but it certainly doesn't work on my 901s

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=265

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #230 of 666
I also recall seeing this but went back to this product page on head-direct and could not find anything about gapless. I could have missed it but it certainly doesn't work on my 901s

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=265

Well thank you for saving me a large chunk of change! Maybe one day they'll figure it out.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #239 of 666
I would strongly recommend you to "clean" your tags:

Remove all tags except artist, album, track title (and number), genre, date/year and comment.

Other non-standard tags might cause the long scan time and unwanted (complete) rescan.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #240 of 666
Any in depth reviews comparing with 901 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back