Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Aug 12, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #246 of 666
Anyone tried this case for their 901s ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A6-EASECASE-Custom-Made-Genuine-Leather-case-for-Hifiman-HM-901S-/331621352179?hash=item4d362c42f3

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #247 of 666
I still use a Nintendo DS case, very cheap and protects it well whilst in my bag and not being used. That case on eBay looks like my 5 year old made it and $50 is a joke.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #249 of 666
Why do you need to remove it ?

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #250 of 666
mmm.....1. bought a spare battery (hate battery down time). 2. replace/"roll" the amp modules (IEM card and gold minibox) depending on whether I am using a headpone or an iem. Just figured it out. Hifiman needs to review the manual and include instruction on how to remove/replace the battery (I am referring to page 5 of the HM 901S manual). It has a gaping hole in the instruction set. At 3 am, I felt and acted like a 3 year old trying to open a child-proof medicine bottle. Apparently, Hifiman forgot to state (yeah, the proof reader of the manual was asleep at the job) that there is a white thingie at the top of the battery bay that you need to press  to unlock and replace the battery.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #251 of 666
Hi,

I want to share some early impressions.

I have the 901s currently with me for review and to be frank, it's the best DAP I have ever heard.

However there is the law of diminishing returns of course but from the ones I own currently this would be my ranking:
901s
AK100 with Gloveudio A1 (close second, made me appreciate this one more again)
AK100 mk2
Fiio X5
ibasso DX50

I am switching between the elifidelity balanced amp board and the Gold mini box and to be honest, I am not yet sure which one I like more.

I was very surprised about how well the 901s drives higher impedance headphones, like the T90 and HD650 and power hungry ones like the LCD2.

Most of the time though, I use them in the office with the Oppo PM-3 (need a closed headphone in the office) and I find this combination to be pretty much perfect.

Cheers,
K

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #252 of 666
I'd love to hear what you feel about the Elfidelity Bal. versus the Minibox Gold.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #253 of 666
I'd love to hear what you feel about the Elfidelity Bal. versus the Minibox Gold.

Early impressions:

Elfidelity has a larger soundstage -> nice bass but I think I prefer the bass on the gold box.

Otherwise they are not a night and day difference. However, have no balanced cable (well at least with the TRRS plug) to test the balanced out.

I am not yet sure which one I like more, without going into details. 

Will post more detailed impressions when I had more time with them.

Cheers,
K

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #254 of 666

Early impressions:

Elfidelity has a larger soundstage -> nice bass but I think I prefer the bass on the gold box.

Otherwise they are not a night and day difference. However, have no balanced cable (well at least with the TRRS plug) to test the balanced out.

I am not yet sure which one I like more, without going into details. 

Will post more detailed impressions when I had more time with them.

Cheers,
K

So you are listening to the balanced card with SE cable ? I will give you a 1/8th TRRS to 4 pin XLR cable. Its even better with Balanced cable.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #255 of 666
  So you are listening to the balanced card with SE cable ? I will give you a 1/8th TRRS to 4 pin XLR cable. Its even better with Balanced cable.

Woot, that would be more than great! Yes, I am listening to the balanced card but on the SE socket - so utilizing only half the "power" and probably missing out on even more soundstage.

See you soon, buddy!!
Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back