Hifiman HM901R R2R DAC
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #16 of 68
Oct 14, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #17 of 68
Nice. I've owned Monolith THX Portable and Paw S1 so hopefully you will be able to share some comparisons.

HM1000 has great versatility due to abundance of inputs and outputs. Hymalaya DAC is not truly R2R from what I understand (rather a combo of FPGA+resistors?), but it sounds great and like R2R. Same should apply to HM901R on both points.

Hymalaya Red is available on Aliexpress. For example, the listing from RYCFENZ HIFI Store has in Color selection it listed as so. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002465620732.html

I think most sellers just haven't updated their description. Original Red has been out of production and replaced by Hymalaya a while ago. I would find the lowest available price for Red and message the seller to confirm it's Hymalaya version indeed.
So how did you find HM1000 compared to Monolith and S1? Do you think HM901R is also using the same DAC as HM1000?

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #18 of 68
Yes, the Hymalaya one. I had the original one with 2x PCM1702 which was replaced by Hifiman under warranty. Hymalaya HM1000 is better.

What stands out with HM901R vs. HM1000 is ability to replace amp cards so one can keep a small portable profile without having to use line out to another amp. HM901R still supports old amp cards from HM901 from years ago. iBasso did the same thing with DX240 whereas it's compatible with legacy amp cards. Considering third party options, there are many different choices available for amp section that, for example, ones that simulate transistor or tube harmonics.

HM1000 Red is supposed to be superior model to HM901R. It has higher original retail, better build quality, and features balanced line out. HM901R has single-ended line out only. If you're going to feed an external amp and not going to dab into amp cards, it's best to stick with Red.

Balanced line out on HM1000 Red is just great, I'm using it today to feed xDuoo MT-604 balanced hybrid tube/class-a amp.

Nice description!

I also think that the 901R is kind of a replacement for the BT dongle. It is small, lightweight and the materials are durable but not luxurious at all:)
It is a thing to take with you on a beach or for jogging. Asa bonus u have opportunities to play with amps
With this punchy and amazing bass texture, it's a good companion for the street. But both 1000 and 901R with any amp card are not the best DAP to feed an external amp
Difference between HM and for instance, p6pro or hugo 2 or Cowon Plenue L is noticeable

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 68
So how did you find HM1000 compared to Monolith and S1? Do you think HM901R is also using the same DAC as HM1000?
HM901R and HM1000 Red are using the same Hymalaya DAC, and I think they use two of them - one for each channel.

HM1000 is generally better than Monolith and S1 but I utilized them in different manner. I mostly used Monolith as portable analog amp, to stack with other DACs like S1 and HM1000. Monolith has powerful, energetic THX amp section but it was too cold to pair with HM1000's DAC. S1 has good, smooth tuning with many levels of volume control; I enjoyed using it most with IEMs for gaming and movies. HM1000 sounds less digital, warmer, deeper, and more resolving than Monolith Portable and Paw S1.

Nice description!

I also think that the 901R is kind of a replacement for the BT dongle. It is small, lightweight and the materials are durable but not luxurious at all:)
It is a thing to take with you on a beach or for jogging. Asa bonus u have opportunities to play with amps
With this punchy and amazing bass texture, it's a good companion for the street. But both 1000 and 901R with any amp card are not the best DAP to feed an external amp
Difference between HM and for instance, p6pro or hugo 2 or Cowon Plenue L is noticeable
Thanks for the feedback. Those sources better sound superior to Hifimans considering the price difference. HM901R can be had for $300 USD new right now, vs $2000+ for sources you mentioned. Personally, I enjoy being able to listen to different sounding sources, not necessarily looking for "the best".

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #21 of 68
Oct 15, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 68
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 68
Hi that is a bit costly just for an AMP card. Can you tell if it is worth it? Can you compare it to some other players or AMPs?
For me it's, for some people have the regular balance Hifiman card or Iem card is enough.
Ufeel plays with OP amps and sounds more clear and more transparent, especially on treble.
My setup is a bit from another league, so just can add a comparison with R01
901r is more punchy, energetic, and lively. Cayin has much more mid-bass
And btw cayin card also costs around 500$

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #27 of 68
For me it's, for some people have the regular balance Hifiman card or Iem card is enough.
Ufeel plays with OP amps and sounds more clear and more transparent, especially on treble.
My setup is a bit from another league, so just can add a comparison with R01
901r is more punchy, energetic, and lively. Cayin has much more mid-bass
And btw cayin card also costs around 500$
Hi are Amp cards of the original HM901 players compatible with HM901R?

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #28 of 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back