HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Oct 6, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,986 of 3,445
Is there a schedule for the HM-901s to be commercially available? Or are they still tweaking the device?

There's little to no news on the tangible improvements or anything else on this one. And that dock ... still china only or ready for international release? 

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #2,987 of 3,445

I dunno about you but if I did it to mine, it's a one way trip. I can solder off SMD easily but if I mess it up, putting it back on is a different matter.

I had to modify my DACT attenuators a few times. The resistors on those are like soldering dust! Now that is something I don't enjoy soldering. the ones on the board don't look too bad though a magnifying glass always helps, me anyway. :^)

Is there a schedule for the HM-901s to be commercially available? Or are they still tweaking the device?

There's little to no news on the tangible improvements or anything else on this one. And that dock ... still china only or ready for international release? 

I haven't heard anything either. I assume there is some tweaking going on, for the 901s. As to the dock, hard to say. I have one and it works well and the buffer to my ear, improves the sound further but time will tell what comes down the pike, so to speak. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #2,988 of 3,445

I haven't heard anything either. I assume there is some tweaking going on, for the 901s. As to the dock, hard to say. I have one and it works well and the buffer to my ear, improves the sound further but time will tell what comes down the pike, so to speak. 

May I know if you have tried the USB DAC function of the dock? I wish to know if it is stable. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,991 of 3,445
Oct 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2,993 of 3,445
I have been very fortunate to get my hands on the Angel card, thanks to the kindness of Fengwei07. :) I have been enjoying it with the Ref1. I do like the musicality.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,994 of 3,445
I have been very fortunate to get my hands on the Angel card, thanks to the kindness of Fengwei07.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have been enjoying it with the Ref1. I do like the musicality.

How does this differ from the yellow discrete card I wonder.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,996 of 3,445
I'll PM you. I have not tried and take no responsibility. It comes from the maker.

The resistor mod comes directly from Mr. Sang, the designer of the discreet cards. However, please be advised that this is intended for the so-called "optimized discreet card", which is the fourth version after v2 and v3. I don't know if the mod works for earlier cards as I noticed the original poster said he had a v2 card. Please be careful.

I did the mod on the latest version of the discreet card and am very satisfied with the results.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2,997 of 3,445
I have been very fortunate to get my hands on the Angel card, thanks to the kindness of Fengwei07.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have been enjoying it with the Ref1. I do like the musicality.

That's great! Glad that you like it. I've been using only the discrete card with 901 nowadays, just love it. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,998 of 3,445
The resistor mod comes directly from Mr. Sang, the designer of the discreet cards. However, please be advised that this is intended for the so-called "optimized discreet card", which is the fourth version after v2 and v3. I don't know if the mod works for earlier cards as I noticed the original poster said he had a v2 card. Please be careful.

I did the mod on the latest version of the discreet card and am very satisfied with the results.

Hi, I'm going to get this optimization card soon as it's on shipping from China. May you elaborate for the benefit after mod in term of SQ ? Thanks.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #3,000 of 3,445
Hi, I'm going to get this optimization card soon as it's on shipping from China. May you elaborate for the benefit after mod in term of SQ ? Thanks.

Basically this mod bypasses the gain control design on the card. After the mod there won't be any difference when you use the gain switch on the 901. Bypassing gain control seems to have a more "direct" like effect, you get slightly wider and deeper soundstage with better extension on both ends of the spectrum. The ability to drive large headphones will also be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back