Hifiman HM-801 RMAA Tests
May 23, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #571 of 795
So I take that as a no?
And Shike, this is a discussion about RMAA results providing quantitative data, and how it relates to actual SQ. Thus, they are related and relevant to this thread
Fortunately, everyone has the ability to read a graph and express their opinions about the data. But not everyone has listened to the equipment to provide their opinions on how they interpret the resulting sound. Ergo, readers of this thread should be wary of those who issue one sided opinions

May 23, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #572 of 795
^No I haven't.

But that's my point. Even if I did, it wouldn't matter, because people are impressionable. Even if I said it was the best player ever created, the best I've ever heard, it would not matter one bit. Read my last post.

It is easy to "convince" someone of a product's supposed superiority, even when none is there. Facts thankfully, can't be convinced away. And that's what the RMAA results are: facts. That's why they carry more weight than opinion.

Facts, objective facts, carry more weight than opinion because facts can be proven, and they can be reproduced.

May 23, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #573 of 795
Quote:
So I take that as a no?
And Shike, this is a discussion about RMAA results providing quantitative data, and how it relates to actual SQ. Thus, they are related and relevant to this thread

The point is cited listening impressions are meaningless to this thread.  Your straw man argument has ZERO relevancy.

If you're arguing it's relevant to this thread, then first you must do a level matched DBT.  Beyond that, if you find it does make a difference all it comes down to is that you subjectively enjoy an inaccurate player.

I've made this point to you what . . . three times now?  It's about time you actually leave and stop spamming or actually refute this.  Some of us are actually waiting for valid DBTs beyond the sound clips used.

May 23, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #574 of 795
Hahahaha, you are silly Shika. Nice try to discredit my posts even though they are more related than the quality of the soldering points from previous posts
You still haven't answered my question by the way

May 23, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #576 of 795
Wow, and now calling people names
And I thought I've seen everything
I will not stoop down to your level, thank you for imparting your superior prowess upon us mere mortals

May 23, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #577 of 795
^Shike, perhaps there is a limit to pressing a point? I'm quickly coming to the idea that if someone wants to fall for a scam, regardless of the evidence shoved into his face,  then I may as well sit back and chuckle. Now, I'll still make a few arguments at the start of course. No reason for new members or people who don't have a physics or electrical engineering background to be taken unawares. But at some point, you must accept that infinitus est numerus stultorum - infinite are the number of fools. Sad but true.

And doesn't the occasional latin proverb just add that wonderful bit of extra gravitas? Of course it does. Never think otherwise.
wink.gif

May 23, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #578 of 795

Quote:
Wow, and now calling people names
And I thought I've seen everything
I will not stoop down to your level, thank you for imparting your superior prowess upon us mere mortals

Oh, nice retroactive edit!

You just accused me a troll just a moment ago.  Thought better and edited your post eh?

Doesn't matter though.  This is the last time I ask.  TAKE YOUR SPAM ELSEWHERE.

@JxK

I agree with you 100%, unfortunately.

May 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #579 of 795
You guys is so dern smart
I think that's the third time you mentioned you are an electrical engineer, but somehow I'm not impressed. Being in the science field, I've come across more than a few belligerent and self righteous engineers
And Shike, you still haven't answered my question. But I think its safe to assume that you have not

May 23, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #580 of 795
Quote:
I think that's the third time you mentioned you are an electrical engineer, but somehow I'm not impressed. Being in the science field, I've come across more than a few belligerent and self righteous engineers
And Shike, you still haven't answered my question. But I think its safe to assume that you have not

I'll bite your strawman, but expect an answer to MY question.  No, I haven't heard it.  Do you understand why that's not important to this thread - a thread about measurements and audibility of said measurements?

May 23, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #581 of 795
And somehow, in all that self-righteous bluster, you conveniently ignore the suggestion argument. And the unarguably negative test scores. And the horrible UI. And the ridiculous size.

Perhaps, instead of spouting empty words, you should consider addressing one (and preferably all) of the above points? I mean come on, us science-y types got them inflated egos just waitin' for ya to burst. I dare ya.

But remember: we like brevity, us physics lovers. So stay on track and focus on the arguments, not blather.

May 23, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #582 of 795
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what science field are you in? 

May 23, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #583 of 795
Round and round in circles we go: those who believe in the HM801 on one side, those who don't, on the other. Honestly, this thread is now boring. No one will prove anything.

Obviously, the HM801 has a certain slant programmed in. Whether it is good or bad doesn't matter - those who like it, or like the idea of it, will like it. Those who don't, won't.

As for Hifi - hifi is so much a subjective sport anyway, it gets boring. The source in a professional capacity MUST be flat, must be as close to the nature as possible. HiFi and audiophiles on the other hand hardly ever care about fidelity of the signal - they care about 'pleasing' and that is okay. Pleasing doesn't mean SQ and SQ doesn't mean anything. If you like it and the hardware is worth it to you, then great. If not, then great.

Bringing headphones into this is silly. Headphones aren't like source/amp components. They should have their own flavour at any cost. Phones for those who love succinct separation are great for those who like that sound, the same goes for those who love bass; or, those who love flat flat flat will like still different phones.

Sources only come in two flavours: professional and audiophile, the latter catering to any price, to any mindset, and to any level of quality. The problem is that audiophile also rings in subjective marketing tactics. I've witnessed it time and time again. A thing may sound good, it may sound bad, but in the end, neither matters. What the item is catered at most will in the end matter. Many amps have been put into high end systems and been known to sound great, possibly 'better' than others, possibly 'worse'. But after the person knows what is playing, their opinions will change.

If they prefer higher priced stuff, they will find fault with the cheaper stuff. The opposite is true for the cheap stuff. I also think a lot of people don't know what they are listening for, or even what they like. It is a game. Sometimes it is won by honesty, sometimes by marketing, and sometimes, it is won by volume. 

I probably won't bother too much with this thread anymore. DFKT started something that was a mere comment and this thread for some reason has gone around in circles and is now pointless - completely. 

May 23, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #584 of 795
Since this is Sound Science, I'm not going to say any more in here about what I think (subjectively) about how the HM-801 sounds than this:  I like it.  A lot.  (I do own other digital audio players, including a variety of iPods, and iPhone, a Sansa Clip, and others.)

The main point of my post in this thread is to discuss frequency response, as represented in the graphs, and which (for many) seems to be the primary determinant (within the context of this thread) of performance.  Here's one that's been used in here (below):

Here's are some frequency response plots of the Ayre QB-9 (a USB DAC that I've heard and used, and that has been pretty universally praised, at least from what I've read), taken from an Ayre white paper:

Using the QB-9's "Measure" setting, intended (per Ayre) for better accuracy in the frequency domain (below):

Using the QB-9's "Listen" setting (which is the setting it was on when Ayre handed it to me), and which is intended by Ayre to produce more accuracy in the time domain (below):

To put numbers to it, it's -6 dB at 22.025 kHz (exact numbers provided by Ayre).  Eyeballing it at 20 kHz suggests to me that it's about -4 dB at 20 kHz.

This is the Ayre QB-9's frequency response, as measured by John Atkinson in Stereophile (below):

A quick glance at the Ayre-provided graphs (when compared to Stereophile's) might suggest that Ayre's FR representation is flatter.  Independent of Y-axis scale, it certainly does look flatter; but take into account the actual Y-axis scale, and you see that they're actually pretty close.

My point?  Take into account the Y-axis scale.  In my opinion, -4 dB at 20 kHz does not constitute a major roll-off, but it can be made to look like a giant drop.  And the roll-off does look steep on that graph, and does start off at a lower frequency than the Ayre QB-9, but (and this is an opinion) it does not constitute a major roll-off to the ears at all.

If someone would rather listen to the Sansa Clip than the Ayre QB-9 in "Listen" mode (based on it being flatter to 20 kHz), I'm not going to argue the point.  If someone's going to argue it's better for that reason, I'm not going to argue that either.

Some time ago, a headphone manufacturer asked me to listen to a headphone, and give my opinion on whether or not they should drop the response centered at around 8 kHz, about 2.5 dB down (the width of the notch approximately 0.75 octave).  What I thought isn't relevant without revealing much more information (which I can not do, for obvious reasons).  To approximate the effect, I used the parametric equalizer in Amarra.  What might be relevant to this discussion is that it did have an effect (a lot of us are rather sensitive to things going on at 8 kHz), but this whole notion of major roll-off, especially when we're talking primarily at 20 kHz is interesting.

While I can not say whether or not the reasons for the HM-801 being that way are analogous to Ayre's reasons for rolling off, or Wadia's reasons for rolling off, etc., I can say that, in my opinion, again, this is not a major roll-off.  Yes, yes, argue that point all you want (and some of you will), but that's my opinion.

As I said in another post, I'm not much of a measurements guy, but admit it can make for interesting discussions, as it has here.  As I state in that other post, I haven't heard any digital I've preferred to a good turntable setup--and, yes, that Sansa Clip just might slaughter even the finest of turntable rigs in most measurements, most certainly including frequency response, crosstalk, dynamic range, wow-and-flutter (which only the turntable will be measurable for), noise floor, etc., etc.  And if you've heard a good vinyl rig, and feel the Sansa Clip sounds better, that's something else I'm not going to argue about.

As someone who bought the HM-801 and listens to it a lot, I'm not at all perturbed by these measurements.

May 23, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #585 of 795

Quote:

those graphs don't look like real measured data, they look idealized.  They look simulated rather than measured from real hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back