HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
May 14, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #61 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling the UI / lack of gapless etc might kill this product.

Lack of gapless and lack of storage did for me, sadly. I would've been all over this, otherwise.

May 14, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #62 of 625
Looks like Pretec is the first to sell 32 and 64GB SDXC cards. With no compatible devices available yet, it would have been a HUGE coup to already be compatible. Small company I suppose might not yet have access to that technology?

May 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #63 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was thinking too. Will there be 64GB SDHC cards, or is that type of card limited to 32? If so, I'll definitely wait for V.2 that can make use of a 2 TB SDXC card.

Yes 32gb is the current maximum for SDHC cards, in my opinion developers will most likely stop looking for ways to increase the size of SDHC cards and more likely try and find ways to make the manufacturing costs of SDXC cards cheaper resulting in mass production and a lower consumer price.

May 14, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #64 of 625
Secure Digital card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Currently the SD Card association has artificially defined the maximum limit of SDHC capacity to 32 GB, however the SD card specification states that "SD Memory Cards with a capacity greater than 32 GB will be available with updated versions of [the specification]."

Whatever that means... pretty sure SDXC is taking SDHC's place in the near future.

May 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #65 of 625
battery life seems to be too short also.

May 14, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #66 of 625
What would be really cool is if it could read usb drives that are connected to it. This way if you wanted a bigger collection you could hook up an external drive to it without needing a full computer.

What would be interesting is having it support a "smart bay" like system. Where you can get volume if you have a portable amp in the smart bay but you could take that out and put a HDD there and then use an external amp from the 3.5 line out. Just an idea but this thing looks pretty cool, it is just that personally I would rather have something that allows for large integrated storage support with a great DAC rather than a portable amp that could always be attached to the outside.

May 14, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #67 of 625
cool ideas; but I rather think they are beyond the development/brainstoring stage

May 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #68 of 625
no development/brainstorming needed to replace the 1704 chip with the 1704u-k hehe...

i wonder if it's easily accessible...then i could just desolder it & put in the new chip myself...anyways, like i said, interesting product regardless...

May 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #69 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean Sony D50? It can be used as standalone DAC?

Yes, it can be used as a DAC, the quality is alright.

Still wondering how does it compare with D50, both as DAP and DAC

May 15, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #72 of 625
Sorry, I've only read the first post, and skimmed the preorder page, as well as the head-direct page. I'm a bit confused about the product here...

I noticed that there's no mention of digital audio output. Only input... I also noticed that it only accepts SD card memory (as a "last ditch" or "just in case"), which isn't a lot of space for music... This brings me to believe that one is supposed to have a separate source to feed the digital information into the "HifiMAN HM-801". So, I'm guessing that this device is primarily a portable DAC?

May 15, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #73 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I've only read the first post, and skimmed the preorder page, as well as the head-direct page. I'm a bit confused about the product here...

I noticed that there's no mention of digital audio output. Only input... I also noticed that it only accepts SD card memory (as a "last ditch" or "just in case"), which isn't a lot of space for music... This brings me to believe that one is supposed to have a separate source to feed the digital information into the "HifiMAN HM-801". So, I'm guessing that this device is primarily a portable DAC?

I guess that the concept is there is no need of another DAC, so there is no digi out. The SD card on the other hand will support up to 128Gb, so I think the storage space is not a big issue. With a amp module this must be a DAP isn't it?

May 15, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #74 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess that the concept is there is no need of another DAC, so there is no digi out. The SD card on the other hand will support up to 128Gb, so I think the storage space is not a big issue. With a amp module this must be a DAP isn't it?

Whoops, heh, I forgot about the amp part
smily_headphones1.gif
I must have been thinking that people would use a separate amp anyway...

$600! Yup, that's probably about... 5 more years + a job, after I get out of college and try to barely scrape by as a musician...

Oh boy do I wish I had money to spend... I think I'm first going to save up for headphones that are $600+, before I shoot for this dap/dac. That is, eventually... years later, haha.

May 15, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #75 of 625
It will only ever support up to 32 GB as that is the limit on the memory card type used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back