HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
May 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it do gapless? Does it have an EQ or other sound enhancements (crossfeed, etc)? Does it have file/folder browsing, pan/balance, MSC transfer?

EQ or other sound enhancements should not appear in HiFiMAN because artificial is not hifi.

Will provide more info about software soon.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #18 of 625
It would be awesome if it supported Apple Lossless, too.

May 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 625
Hmmm... I am wondering if Fang used the base form the module based Media Player that was popular on gizmodo a few years ago. It had intechangable parts and a similar design look. The big thing with those on the underground is that it had very easy to work on parts and was a completely linux friendly development environment that let you deisgn your own interface.

I would very interested to see if Fang would open the interface source code up for those of us who might like to change things a bit. :very_evil: Too bad I use my iPod touch like a PDA/mini laptop or I would be all over this. Personally, it would be nice to see an extended module that is a completely discrete output and whether the op-amps will be hot-swappable.

Very exciting to see Portable Audio taking a BIG step forward!

May 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #20 of 625
Well, I've liked every Head-Direct product I've heard so far, though I've only heard the PK1s, 3s, minibox E+, the Octavert (sp?) amp, and the EF1. Is this going to be at CanJam?

May 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EQ or other sound enhancements should not appear in HiFiMAN because artificial is not hifi.

You could open source the player specs, so the best of all DAP firmwares could run on it (at least as an alternative to the stock firmware) - Rockbox.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gapless isn't a feature that changes the sound though
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very exciting to see Portable Audio taking a BIG step forward!

This. Will be interesting to compare this to say other high-end ports such as the Archos' and that Kenwood (forgot the name).
If Fang's got business smarts, in which I'm sure he's got plenty of, he'll bring this device to CanJam.
wink.gif

Head-Direct getting bigger and bolder!

Also Fang remember, a great player hardware wise can be ruined by bad software!
Software is just as important as the hardware.

May 13, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #23 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gapless isn't a feature that changes the sound though
smily_headphones1.gif

It does change the perception though. Imagine listening to Rach3 with a slight pause between the 2nd and 3rd movement
angry_face.gif

I wonder if this player is designed for headphones or IEMs.

May 13, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #25 of 625
Umm... Archos is the opposite of "high end", at least sound wise - they're some of the worst sounding players out there.

And yes, gapless is a 100% absolute must for anything that calls itself "Hi-Fi".
wink.gif
As I said, as long as the specs are open, Rockbox could be ported easily, taking all the guesswork out of the firmware and delivering the best there is.
wink.gif

May 13, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I am wondering if Fang used the base form the module based Media Player that was popular on gizmodo a few years ago.

No. Actually this is the first time I heard about it.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 13, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #28 of 625
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox + This woudl be epic.

Lets just hope the battery life picks up to at least 12 hours.

Don't see the point of rockbox with the HiFi since rockbox main priority is to expand sound tweaking abilities. The HiFi probably is in able to tweak the sound because of it's hardware.

May 13, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #29 of 625
How does it compare with the D50's, both as a DAP and DAC? Quite a lot people concern about this
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back