HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Sep 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #362 of 480
Hello, dear developers firmware!

With an exit of new versions firmware progress on quality of sounding of player HM-801 is felt. But all the same at present the player sounds is much worse, than Cowon M5 (with last official version firmware, all switched off FX and an equalizer on all frequencies in the lowermost position).

That is at present sounds in player HM-801 are reproduced not naturally. Not in that place where they should sound on frequencies.

Tell, it probably to correct in new firmware? Thanks.

Good-bye! 

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #363 of 480

Quote:

With an exit of new versions firmware progress on quality of sounding of player HM-801 is felt. But all the same at present the player sounds is much worse, than Cowon M5 (with last official version firmware, all switched off FX and an equalizer on all frequencies in the lowermost position).

That is at present sounds in player HM-801 are reproduced not naturally. Not in that place where they should sound on frequencies.

Good-bye! 

You need better translation software.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #365 of 480

Quote:

Good-bye! 

Quote:
You need better translation software.

Hello, dear developers of firmware!
Release of new versions can feel the progress of sound quality to player HM-801. But anyway, at the moment, the player sounds much worse than the Cowon M5 sound (with the latest official version of the firmware, turned off all the FXs and EQ in user-mode on all frequencies in the lowest positions).
The sounds in your player HM-801 is not reproduced naturally. Sound frequency much too high, playing "mess of sounds".
Tell me, is it possible to fix in the new firmware? Thank you.
Goodbye!

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #366 of 480
I don't think the sound quality of Cowon (with all its EQ off) can beat HM-801 in any way.

Cowon can sound good with appripriate EQ settings but this is a different sound favour from HM-801.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #371 of 480

Quote:
Firmware updates are for things like bug fixes. If you don't like the sound of the HM-801, the only way to change it is to either use the EQ (which in my opinion ruins it), or change the amp module.

In every firmware has bugs, but the errors has in sound too. Because it's not analog audio playback, but digital playback. And they depend on the number of defects is in the firmware. Firmware uses to load player buffers at a sound information. But information translates with any errors. Because the firmware read it's not correct. This problem so solve to release new versions of firmware. So from a good player can make very good player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #372 of 480

Quote:
In every firmware has bugs, but the errors has in sound too. Because it's not analog audio playback, but digital playback. And they depend on the number of defects is in the firmware. Firmware uses to load player buffers at a sound information. But information translates with any errors. Because the firmware read it's not correct. This problem so solve to release new versions of firmware. So from a good player can make very good player.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are no known firmware bugs regarding playback of recognized files (some of reported that some 24-bit files do not work).  However, if the firmware recognizes the file, it plays it back correctly and no one has reported anything to the contrary.  Furthermore, even if there was some buffer glitch (like a hiccup during playback), that would not effect the overall sound of the unit.  Other than EQ issues, what you are suggesting is extremely remote.

If you don't like the sound of the HM, that's your decision.

I have listened to the Cowon iAudio series of units and they are wonderful units for the price.  However, in my opinion they don't even come close to the HM-801 in sound.  Not even close.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #373 of 480

Quote:
There are no known firmware bugs regarding playback of recognized files (some of reported that some 24-bit files do not work).  However, if the firmware recognizes the file, it plays it back correctly and no one has reported anything to the contrary.  Furthermore, even if there was some buffer glitch (like a hiccup during playback), that would not effect the overall sound of the unit.  Other than EQ issues, what you are suggesting is extremely remote.

If you don't like the sound of the HM, that's your decision.

I have listened to the Cowon iAudio series of units and they are wonderful units for the price.  However, in my opinion they don't even come close to the HM-801 in sound.  Not even close.

Trogdor, remember this lesson. Not all so easy in our world!

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #375 of 480
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the correct thread for my question, but I didn't find anything explicit via search.
I just got my Hifiman (Firmware 0.19) and I have a question.

Is anybody able to navigate via Album, and if so how did you encode your music files, which program, which ID Tag Version (ID3v2.2 or ID3v2.3)?
I have ripped my music from CD via dbpoweramp as uncompressed wav and then converted to flac with ID3v2.3 Tags.
But using the Album entry it shows only this "No file!" message.

I can navigate the SD card folder structure using the SD Card entry though. I can also play tracks that way, but there is always an aprox. 2 sec pause between the tracks.
Doing the same with uncompressed wav files, there is not only a pause but additionally a loud cracking noise between the tracks.

Still, single tracks play very well.

I use a SanDisk 32GB Extreme (Class 10).

Thanx for any hints.

I'm also already in contact with support (thanx for help so far).

Well that have been a lot words :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back