Hifiman HM-603
Oct 12, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #16 of 82

Quote:
500 USD + postage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFiMan-HM-603-Digital-Media-Player-/200641802992

Past experience has taught me never to run Google translate over Chinese web pages, so I'll spare you guys the other links ! 
biggrin.gif

Think I'll just buy an iPad2 instead. LOL stupid price

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 82

Quote:
Think I'll just buy an iPad2 instead. LOL stupid price

Hey, its your money. Compare it to a CLAS stack and its a relatively cheap option - you get source/dac/amp in one box, for less than the price of the Solo itself. No idea how it compares in terms of SQ, and CLAS owners can argue that they can have *whatever* sound they want from an iDevice, but it will still be an ungainly brick, even compared to the HiFiMan players. Horses for courses.

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #19 of 82
I picked one up while I was in Hong Kong after listening to a few songs in the store.  It sure beats carrying around my iPhone + RSA Tomahawk with a LOD cable.  It will probably take a few weeks before I make a final decision on whether I like the sound, or can put up with the interface.  A few questions...

1) How do you charge the device over USB?  It seems random as to when it decides to charge via USB vs mounting it as a drive.  Has anyone figured out the formula?

2) Has anyone figured out how to play Apple Lossless files on it?  It would be awesome not to have to reconvert everything to FLAC.

3) Is there any way to convert your iTunes playlists over, so that I don't have to recreate them?

4) How do you make a playlist from your computer?  I couldn't figure this out without creating a folder for it, which ends up having duplicate songs.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #20 of 82
anyone knows when the 603 will be released en mass?

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #22 of 82

Quote:
Anyone want to place some imaginary bets that this model will still have a horrid interface just like the past models 

Who cares, when it's out I'll have a more polished version of Rockbox on my 602.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #23 of 82
Rockbox is nice, but I would prefer to not purchase a dap for a few hundred dollars that requires 3rd party firmware.  If I can get my hands on a used HM601, I'd swap it for my J3.  

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #24 of 82

Quote:
Rockbox is nice, but I would prefer to not purchase a dap for a few hundred dollars that requires 3rd party firmware.  If I can get my hands on a used HM601, I'd swap it for my J3.  

+1
And, aren't Rockbox usually more power hungry? So, (Hifman fans, please don't get angry at me, I have 602.), are we looking at 3 - 4 hours battery time?

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 82
3-4 hours before you have to recharge it ? Sheeei..... - I thought the T51 was annoying, given that I only get 8-10 hours out of a charge. I know - 'desktop quality sound in a portable package', and at least you dont have to charge 3 devices per the CLAS stack, but it still makes the iTouch look good with *days* from a single charge.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 82
Quote:
Who cares, when it's out I'll have a more polished version of Rockbox on my 602.

Wait a second here, I bought the iPod 5.5g a few months ago just for rockbox and its going to be out (and stable) on the Hifiman players now? What.

Those players have sound quality, and a gain switch with what seems to be quite the drivability. I only bought the 5.5g because I wanted cue sheet support and its all but useless on the hifiman players. 

It is coming out for the HM601 as well? Selling the 5.5g and going that route would still give me the folder/cue sheet/extensive lossless file support that I crave and save me money in the long run.

Because if I stay on this bloody road an imod, 240gb hd and portable amp are definitely en route. 
suicide.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #28 of 82
Don't sell anything until they release a stable port for it on the 601-801. :) Right now its classified as unusable and they are working on it.  Regardless of how nice it can sound, its not worth it to stress over a portable player that will only give you a few hours of battery life.  Try not to forget the ratings and reviews of the 601 are not that great, they are known to have faulty pieces and fail now and then, make sure you read some reviews on it and see if you are comfortable on that purchase before hand if you havent researched it already.  The HM series daps are great home source alternatives and are better sounding than most portable daps, but I would never ever take any of them out and have them shuffle around in my bag or pocket, they aren't physically up to the task in my opinion.

Would have saved me a hell of a lot of stress if I hadn't listened to a few reviewers who neglected to tell me its build quality wasn't so great, I returned my 601 within 48 hours and the 801 a few days after I got it, hoping it was physically superior to its little brothers...it wasnt :\    But if they can manage to save some battery life with the rockbox firmware, I might consider a rebuy.  

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #29 of 82
Hmm...  not seeing anything here about stability.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579759/how-to-installing-rockbox-to-the-hifiman-hm-801-603-602-and-601

Really, really unhappy to hear you weren't happy with the build quality on the 801.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back