HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Sep 29, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #2,507 of 2,647
Oct 6, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #2,508 of 2,647
Long shot but I presume that the 400i headband isn't quite PNP on 6SEV2 and I'm better off relocating the drivers at this point?

This headband is just horridly uncomfy lol and V1 wasn't much better with those cups that don't swivel one bit, mix this with those nasty earpads tabs that always refuse to lock in, well done
1696631505580.png

This works quite nicely on this phone: https://www.discogs.com/release/1417040-Lalo-Schifrin-Enter-The-Dragon-25th-Anniversary-

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #2,509 of 2,647
Long shot but I presume that the 400i headband isn't quite PNP on 6SEV2 and I'm better off relocating the drivers at this point?

This headband is just horridly uncomfy lol and V1 wasn't much better with those cups that don't swivel one bit, mix this with those nasty earpads tabs that always refuse to lock in, well done 1696631505580.png

This works quite nicely on this phone: https://www.discogs.com/release/1417040-Lalo-Schifrin-Enter-The-Dragon-25th-Anniversary-
Could you deal with Dekoni Nuggets? I find them super comfortable.

20221210_115114.jpg

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #2,511 of 2,647
Besides I already max out stock headband so those nuggets definitely won't fit.

Anyhow, apparently all you gotta do is unseat the drivers, remove the screw holders inside the cups(as shown in a yt video) et voilà 400i headband fits, 15 mins job and no soldering required:)

Reminds me of HE500 where you gotta trade comfort for SQ, apparently only the big boys at HFM get double headband + swiveling cups these days(aria/HEK).

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,512 of 2,647
Besides I already max out stock headband so those nuggets definitely won't fit.

Anyhow, apparently all you gotta do is unseat the drivers, remove the screw holders inside the cups(as shown in a yt video) et voilà 400i headband fits, 15 mins job and no soldering required:)

Reminds me of HE500 where you gotta trade comfort for SQ, apparently only the big boys at HFM get double headband + swiveling cups these days(aria/HEK).
The headband of the 4XX fits the 500 great and is lighter and more comfortable if that helps.

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,514 of 2,647
Hey!

Got my HE6SE-V2 a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it with Oratory1990 EQ. Coming from Focal Clear MG.

Seen a lot of mentions of modding them, whats the "must do" mods? And regarding pads what should I go for?

Cheers!
For me, the "must do" mods were the headband, pads, and cable. And since the grill mod was easy and cheap, I went ahead and did that too.

I'm using Hifiman's Newly Enhanced Comfort Headband. Readily available and relatively easy to swap.
I'm using a pair of Dan Clark Audio's angled lambskin Ether pads. The (also necessary) mounting ring was a beast to fit onto the drivers, but worth the effort.
I'm using a Norne Audio cable that I already had for my Focal Elegia. No need to shell out for a cable this pricey though. Just about anything is better than the stock one.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #2,515 of 2,647
For me, the "must do" mods were the headband, pads, and cable. And since the grill mod was easy and cheap, I went ahead and did that too.

I'm using Hifiman's Newly Enhanced Comfort Headband. Readily available and relatively easy to swap.
I'm using a pair of Dan Clark Audio's angled lambskin Ether pads. The (also necessary) mounting ring was a beast to fit onto the drivers, but worth the effort.
I'm using a Norne Audio cable that I already had for my Focal Elegia. No need to shell out for a cable this pricey though. Just about anything is better than the stock one.
Thanks!

When it comes to pads and EQ do you tweak EQ with different pads?

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,516 of 2,647
probably not a popular opinion, but the best pads ive used for the he6sev2 are the egg shape dekoni velour. i 4 small points of hot glue to attach and they sound incredible. give the soundstage of the egg shaped and mellow out the highs just right.

cant go back to zmf or any other circular pads after these

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #2,517 of 2,647
Oct 12, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #2,518 of 2,647

Angled Ether are the way to go! To get the rings on - line up the tabs and cup the pads slightly towards your palm, press in to the cans, then rotate the pads to the correct location - assuming all the tabs are in and under the lip.

The 3 mods I do: PEQ (the most important of all mods), a bit of dynamat if you find the package a little too resonant in the mid/upper bass (I do, most don't), fuzzor mod (critical for the OG 6 and 500 because the stators are so big, useful but lower down the list for the SE - IMO).

And yes the stock cables and pads are an invitation to mod.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,519 of 2,647
Oct 13, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,520 of 2,647
yes those are the ones
Interesting! I would never have even thought to try those on the 6se V2. I picked up some egg-shaped velour pads when I bought my Edition X V2 a little while ago so I might have to try them on my 6se V2 this weekend. If I like the combo, I wonder if I could design out some kind of 3D printed adapter for them. Hmm... intriguing possibilities. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back