HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,576 of 2,647
OK, so this is unexpected.

I'm really enjoying the DCA original VOCE pads with the V2's. They do still make the sound a bit more diffuse and less direct than the Ether angled pads as they did with the HE560 (perhaps a bit less so for some reason,) but the trade off is a much bigger sonic image overall and larger soundstage width also. In addition, they are vastly more comfortable. I went back to the Ether Angled pads last night and ended up quickly changing back to the VOCE pads. I'll keep listening but I think I may really prefer these.

https://danclarkaudio.com/ether-electrostat-ear-pads.html

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,577 of 2,647

I'm really enjoying the DCA original VOCE pads with the V2's. They do still make the sound a bit more diffuse and less direct than the Ether angled pads as they did with the HE560 (perhaps a bit less so for some reason,) but the trade off is a much bigger sonic image overall and larger soundstage width also. In addition, they are vastly more comfortable. I went back to the Ether Angled pads last night and ended up quickly changing back to the VOCE pads. I'll keep listening but I think I may really prefer these.

Nice!
Keep your impressions coming.
Are you using Boulder 866 now?
I see you got a DAVE.
DAMN!
And Trafomatic Primavera coming.... WUT! :D

My friend here in Brazil has Abyss and a modded HE6seV2 (with open grills and bass mod, but no aftermarket pads).
He says HE6seV2 is very capable, so much that he's currently selling Abyss, mainly for financial issues though.
He powers them using OOR/HYPSOS from a Schiit Gungnir.
I wonder how well HE6seV2 is scaling with your chain (a bizarre one for a $449 USD headphone lol).
And how close it is to Abyss AB1266 Phi TC.

Somehow DCA sent me extra pads (I bought Ether Angled and they also sent VOCE).
So I'll be able to compare them.
Not so sure about my double sided tape bass mod though.
I'd need to remove it or apply the same mod to VOCE pads.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #1,578 of 2,647
I wonder how well HE6seV2 is scaling with your chain (a bizarre one for a $449 USD headphone lol).

Well, it was 1800 USD when it first came out :wink:

Technology is one thing that keeps getting cheaper :D

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,579 of 2,647
Nice!
Keep your impressions coming.
Are you using Boulder 866 now?
I see you got a DAVE.
DAMN!

My friend here in Brazil has Abyss and a modded HE6seV2 (with open grills and bass mod, but no aftermarket pads).
He says HE6seV2 is very capable, so much that he's currently selling Abyss, mainly for financial issues though.
He powers them using OOR/HYPSOS from a Schiit Gungnir.
And how close it is to Abyss AB1266 Phi TC.

Somehow DCA sent me extra pads (I bought Ether Angled and they sent VOCE).
So I'll be able to compare them.
Not so sure about my double sided tape bass mod though.
I'd need to remove it or apply the same mod to VOCE pads.
You could definitely try the double sided tape with the VOCE pads. DCA also sent me both the pads when I ordered the Angled pads. I guess they are trying to get rid of their stock as they aren't the stock pads on the VOCE anymore? I'm not sure.

I'm mostly using the HE6seV2 with the Aiyima A07 as the amp, but I have tried them with the Boulder. It's better, but honestly they are still very enjoyable from the Aiyima.

Definitely try the VOCE pads as you have them handy and report back. I'm really enjoying them.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,580 of 2,647
You could definitely try the double sided tape with the VOCE pads. DCA also sent me both the pads when I ordered the Angled pads. I guess they are trying to get rid of their stock as they aren't the stock pads on the VOCE anymore? I'm not sure.

I'm mostly using the HE6seV2 with the Aiyima A07 as the amp, but I have tried them with the Boulder. It's better, but honestly they are still very enjoyable from the Aiyima.

Definitely try the VOCE pads as you have them handy and report back. I'm really enjoying them.
Damn, man.
Weird!
But good for us lol
Maybe I buy more Ether Angled to have an extra VOCE.
Risky though lol

That confirms the idea that HE6seV2 shrines with cheap speaker amps, aka ghetto headphones LOL
Aiyima > Boulder confirmed! JK :)

I'm gonna try for sure.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #1,581 of 2,647

What are the dimensions of the VOCE pads? DCA's website is frustratingly vague on their product page. Ideally, if you could measure the outside diameter, shortest/tallest depth (they are angled, right?), and inside (ear hole) diameter. Just wondering how they compare dimensionally to something like a TH900 pad that has a similar design.

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #1,582 of 2,647
What are the dimensions of the VOCE pads? DCA's website is frustratingly vague on their product page. Ideally, if you could measure the outside diameter, shortest/tallest depth (they are angled, right?), and inside (ear hole) diameter. Just wondering how they compare dimensionally to something like a TH900 pad that has a similar design.
No problem, will do that a bit later on today.

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #1,583 of 2,647

i tried the Voce cans ( which I love, and snagged the pads (very wide circle with a huge center hole) for my HFM's The 500 and HE-6 (all but v2 not tested) outside portions ~20% are late compared to the ~80%.of the middle. Any pad which covers none of the driver will sound bigger and more diffuse, but also with some time smear. I documented this a few years ago. It is worse on the 500 then the 6 screw and SE v1.

Try a very clear focused recording you like as a reference. For me i'd go for an accoustic 4-5 piece jazz or chamber piece with female vocals and compare. The v2 might not be the same or you may still prefer the Voce, but it can't hurt.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,584 of 2,647
It's really wide with a huge center hole.
Well, it was 1800 USD when it first came out :wink:

Technology is one thing that keeps getting cheaper :D
If it scaled like computer memory Susvaras would be $169.

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,585 of 2,647
Yeah, I wish more sites were like ZMF and Dekoni, those of which not only includes physical measurements of their pads but also sonic. Even Kennerton's is a big step up with measurements of the dimensions. @mrspeakers, are you listening? :wink:

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #1,586 of 2,647
I just ordered these headphones, will arrive at the end of the week. I want to hear your thoughts if I could drive these headphones "well" with SMSL HO200. The specs are somewhat murky, but maybe someone has tried these together? If not what should I swap HO200 within the 350 dollar range?

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #1,587 of 2,647
I just ordered these headphones, will arrive at the end of the week. I want to hear your thoughts if I could drive these headphones "well" with SMSL HO200. The specs are somewhat murky, but maybe someone has tried these together? If not what should I swap HO200 within the 350 dollar range?
Somebody asked the identical question upthread and it was answered.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #1,588 of 2,647
Sorry, I totally forgot to do this, will try to get it done this afternoon.

@Guipnox Did you ever try out the VOCE pads out of curiosity?

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #1,589 of 2,647
Sorry, I totally forgot to do this, will try to get it done this afternoon.

@Guipnox Did you ever try out the VOCE pads out of curiosity?
Hey, man.
I haven't tested them yet.
I need to buy some rings and some double sided tape so I can properly compare VOCE to Ether Angled.
On a different matter, do you think stock HE6seV2 could be considered veiled/snuff?
People are saying that here in Brazil, specially compared to HEKV2, HEKSE, etc.
I think maybe (in stock form). But with mods (open grills and pad change), I don't think so.
I hear so much clarity and openness.
I even compared my fully modded HE6seV2 to HD800S and HEKSE and I didn't hear a night and day difference.
I preferred my modded HE6seV2 because of its insane bass, overall big stage, nice texture/clarity and good technicalities.
HEKSE is a notch above but not so much (to me).
HD800S is similar, albeit with a taller stage, and maybe more treble details, at the cost of sounding kinda off, and no bass slam.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #1,590 of 2,647
Hey, man.
I haven't tested them yet.
I need to buy some rings and some double sided tape so I can properly compare VOCE to Ether Angled.
On a different matter, do you think stock HE6seV2 could be considered veiled/snuff?
People are saying that here in Brazil, specially compared to HEKV2, HEKSE, etc.
I think maybe (in stock form). But with mods (open grills and pad change), I don't think so.
I hear so much clarity and openness.
I even compared my fully modded HE6seV2 to HD800S and HEKSE and I didn't hear a night and day difference.
I preferred my modded HE6seV2 because of its insane bass, overall big stage, nice texture/clarity and good technicalities.
HEKSE is a notch above but not so much (to me).
HD800S is similar, albeit with a taller stage, and maybe more treble details, at the cost of sounding kinda off, and no bass slam.
Interesting, do report back when you give them a try. I'm curious how others feel about them.

I don't feel they are veiled or dark, they don't go that far. I do find I prefer slightly more upper treble than stock, but thats more personal preference and what I'm used to than the HE6seV2 being dark. I just do a slight boost via EQ and that gets it in line with my preferences, but I think if they were the only pair I listened to I might just get used to the stock tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back