HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Nov 29, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #1,591 of 2,647
Interesting, do report back when you give them a try. I'm curious how others feel about them.

I don't feel they are veiled or dark, they don't go that far. I do find I prefer slightly more upper treble than stock, but thats more personal preference and what I'm used to than the HE6seV2 being dark. I just do a slight boost via EQ and that gets it in line with my preferences, but I think if they were the only pair I listened to I might just get used to the stock tuning.
I'll let you guys know.
My comparison to HD800S and HEKSE was very quick.
So it was just for fun/entertainment purposes lol
But I could post it here.

They say the 1-2kHz dip sounds bad.
I'm thinking with all my mods they're insane.
I don't need EQ anymore.
And it'll get even better when all my stuff arrive (today a few cables from AliExpress :p power cable and XLR interconnects).

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,592 of 2,647
I found them a bit boomy, but I can't remember if it was with replacement grilles or stock. I'll have to check again.

But not veiled, no. Due to the agressive treble, they can not be veiled.

update: been listening to a bunch of different songs, no boom. So it must have been before I replaced the grills.

Sorry, I can't hear anything wrong with the HE6SE V2 :p

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,593 of 2,647
Somebody asked the identical question upthread and it was answered.
Thank you, I actually searched for HO200 and H0200 but found nothing. But all is well. I've got a surprise delivery 2 days sooner than expected. Connected to just received HO200. I think my max volume at which I would not damage my hearing is High Gain @ 12 o'clock volume (max is 5 o'clock) - so plenty of headroom. Still would love to hear what others are referring to headphones opening up and being more dynamic with something like Topping A90D.
But also makes me wonder at what volume levels members of this forum listen to the music.

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,594 of 2,647
Thank you, I actually searched for HO200 and H0200 but found nothing. But all is well. I've got a surprise delivery 2 days sooner than expected. Connected to just received HO200. I think my max volume at which I would not damage my hearing is High Gain @ 12 o'clock volume (max is 5 o'clock) - so plenty of headroom. Still would love to hear what others are referring to headphones opening up and being more dynamic with something like Topping A90D.
But also makes me wonder at what volume levels members of this forum listen to the music.
A lot of it depends on what kind of music and I don't think many people would recommend topping at all for anything.

I listen to jazz which has a lot of dynamic range. To hear the softer parts the volume has to be a high level. The loud sections don't last long in most cases.

For people who listen to metal or other genres that don't have as much range you can get by with less volume unless you're a big headbanger.

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,595 of 2,647
Topping makes great gear if you're the kind of person who listens exclusively to sine wave sweeps.

If you listen to music, on the other hand, look elsewhere as quickly as possible.

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,596 of 2,647
I'm happy with my Jot 2. Have to spend a lot more money to better it . Imo

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #1,597 of 2,647
Hey, man.
I haven't tested them yet.
I need to buy some rings and some double sided tape so I can properly compare VOCE to Ether Angled.
On a different matter, do you think stock HE6seV2 could be considered veiled/snuff?
People are saying that here in Brazil, specially compared to HEKV2, HEKSE, etc.
I think maybe (in stock form). But with mods (open grills and pad change), I don't think so.
I hear so much clarity and openness.
I even compared my fully modded HE6seV2 to HD800S and HEKSE and I didn't hear a night and day difference.
I preferred my modded HE6seV2 because of its insane bass, overall big stage, nice texture/clarity and good technicalities.
HEKSE is a notch above but not so much (to me).
HD800S is similar, albeit with a taller stage, and maybe more treble details, at the cost of sounding kinda off, and no bass slam.
IMO: the HEK SE is bright. The 800S is also.bright.

The HE-6 SE v2 stock has pads that don't suit it, and despite my buddies at SS, the cable is audibly crummy - but the screen off and pads are a bigger sonic issue.

I think all 3 need mods and EQ via parametric. - at least 6 bands. Please don't make me dump on the Schiit toy EQ's again by bringing them up. Properly set up all 3 are all very nice. The 800 S has the soundstage and classical covered in particular with OTL tubes. The HEX is very transparent and huge sounding. The SE v2 is the best bang for the buck. But w/o EQ the HEK v2 for $2k bests them all but it's molto costoso.

Added: in maybe six months the HEX v2 can probably be found for $1325-1400, which makes it an interesting choice.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,598 of 2,647
Interesting, do report back when you give them a try. I'm curious how others feel about them.

I don't feel they are veiled or dark, they don't go that far. I do find I prefer slightly more upper treble than stock, but thats more personal preference and what I'm used to than the HE6seV2 being dark. I just do a slight boost via EQ and that gets it in line with my preferences, but I think if they were the only pair I listened to I might just get used to the stock tuning.
One can get used to them easier than the prior version w/o EQ since the 1.8k trough is lesser, but if you listen to lots of female vocals the AB to a parametric with that and other lesser issues solved is better.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,599 of 2,647
I'm happy with my Jot 2. Have to spend a lot more money to better it . Imo
Jot 2 is a nice piece. These days some Ragnarok 1's are showing up under $650 which is more potent than the Jot or Lyr, but also drives most speakers quite well. It's an option.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #1,600 of 2,647
IMO: the HEK SE is bright. The 800S is also.bright.

The HE-6 SE v2 stock has pads that don't suit it, and despite my buddies at SS, the cable is audibly crummy - but the screen off and pads are a bigger sonic issue.

I think all 3 need mods and EQ via parametric. - at least 6 bands. Please don't make me dump on the Schiit toy EQ's again by bringing them up. Properly set up all 3 are all very nice. The 800 S has the soundstage and classical covered in particular with OTL tubes. The HEX is very transparent and huge sounding. The SE v2 is the best bang for the buck. But w/o EQ the HEK v2 for $2k bests them all but it's molto costoso.

Added: in maybe six months the HEX v2 can probably be found for $1325-1400, which makes it an interesting choice.
Yeah I agree HEK SE is WAYYYY too bright it hurts and 800s is less bright. The He-6se v2 has about the right amount of treble

Nov 30, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #1,601 of 2,647
just got in my second pair of the HE6se V2... couldn't resist the $450 black friday price.. :) they sound just as nice as my other pair... one of them might get the headband/grill upgrade.... personally I really really like the way these sound with EQ... everything just gets bigger and better with EQ on these.. including the sound stage.. I like that you can tune the sub bass so deep... I could listen to yello all day with these on EQ

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,602 of 2,647
So when I initally got my pair of HE6SE v2s I powered them with either my Topping L30 v2 or my old Denon AVR 2807 amp. I was coming from a Beyer COPP so the HE6SE v2 already sounded amazing with those amps. Then a couple months ago I started putting together my own fully balanced AMB Labs Beta 22 amp that does like 5.5W into 50 ohms pure class A. This was another step up in the sound with much much better bass impact and clarity along with increased instrument separation. I also gained a ton of headroom if I ever want to go crazy with the EQ and stuff. I have a negative 24 db gain out of my dac into the Beta 22 and have the volume knob around 12 o'clock but i'm a pretty quiet listener (I know to many people my age, mid 20s, with hearing loss from listening too loud).

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #1,603 of 2,647
Did I get a refurbished version, mine came just in a brown box from Adorama
2022-11-3014.10.523866661852161858798.jpg

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,604 of 2,647
Did I get a refurbished version, mine came just in a brown box from Adorama
2022-11-3014.10.523866661852161858798.jpg
No, thats the standard packaging on most hifiman models nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back