HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
May 12, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #1,021 of 2,647
I saw someone else mention it, but holy crap the well audio milo is absolutely fantastic with these.

Tried these with several different amps, (speaker tapped MHA100, ZMF Pendant, Schiit Mjollnir 2) and and consistently the Milo's been my fav (go to) for these.

May 16, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,022 of 2,647
Ordered some grills from @theangelboy. Highly recommended!

HE6SEV2_GRILL.png

May 24, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,023 of 2,647
Yes, the HE6se is more technical for sure. It's more articulate/detailed and the bass hits harder and is more immediate compared to the HE560 v4. Imaging is also better on the 6. I'm definitely not arguing that the HE560 is a better headphone, just pointing out the similarities.

In fact, with the same pads, I don't hear any major differences in sound sig between the two. They sound to my ears (and measure) very, very similar, technicalities aside. Both the 1khz and 5khz regions are within a db or two of each other on my sets when using the same pads.

Disclaimer: Homemade rig, not comparable to other rigs, etc., etc.
Ignore the elevated bass on the 560's measurements, I accidentally left my bass shelf EQ on and I'm too lazy to do the measurements again.

Both with the Pelipad
HE6se-v2-Stock-Pads-vs-HE560-v4-Pelipads-Comparison.jpg

Both with the 105mm velour pads from AliExpress (what I usually use on my HE6se)
HE6se-v2-China-Round-Velour-vs-HE560-v4-China-Round-Velour-Comparison.jpg

So is the HE6se v2 a better headphone than the HE560 v4? Yes, absolutely. But the 560 is half the price, lighter, and much easier to drive, with less worry about driver QC while maintaining a similar overall sound (albeit, less technically capable). I think it's an option for someone who it turned off the HE6se for any of the aforementioned reasons.

EDIT: Just to be clear, while I think the HE6se v2 has a technical edge over the HE560 v4, I don't think it's huge. Maybe only 10-15%. It's certainly not double, as the price would suggest. Law of diminishing returns is alive and well here.
When going from HE6sev2 to HE560v2 and Ananda, the former two sounded similar while Ananda has a totally different sound signature. Still, the improvement of the HE6sev2 over the HE560v2 is worth the extra money IMO.
HFM designs and produces so many great planar drivers. They have a very cheap labor pool. They could afford the time and effort on quality to blow away the industry. Greed is tough to overcome
So what QC factor changed from V1 to V2 to cause the magnet sticking problem? Does Hifiman have an official explantion? Mods, playing bass too loudly, etc? It’s an excursion issue, no?
Huzza! Another DCA Ether convert.

On a totally different front I maintain that the Crinicle bass settings are very wrong and based on two very wrong headed uses of data. I'm not alone in this. Basically for these cans a parametric setting for bass would be 38 Hz +2.8 db Q .9 Low Shelf. Next setting at 950 Hz. I use this for my v1 with screens off. Screens on would be more like 2.2.

A setting of +5.5 db at 105 Hz is absolute rubbish.
Can you confirm it’s these before I buy? I would have thought they were HE560 size rather than the smaller HE6. Also, if they’re solid pads, might it not cause issues with the diaphragm?
ADB3D93B-5D1A-40D3-A7EE-3396E84D639C.jpeg

For me I think the Hifiman Ananda complement the HE6SE V2 nicely, mostly because they don't need anywhere near as much power as the HE6SE V2 (or HE6 series in general).

I swap between the HE6SE V2 and Ananda, and my Sennheiser 660s's, and on occasion my IEM's...
https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Ananda-Full-Size-Headphones-Comfortable/dp/B07DJ2ZBB3
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ananda.html

Hifiman's new XS might be worth checking out too, instead of the Ananda...I haven't heard the XS yet myself.
https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-XS-Headphones-Audiophiles-Studio-Black/dp/B09PH1N67T
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/edition-xs.html
Yes and I find the sound signatures complementary as well (HE6SEV2 and Ananda). I would say they’re both a little on the bright side, but the brightness is different as they highlight different frequencies.
Using a solid leather pad might increase driver flex when taking them on/off since the air has nowhere to go. But there have been plenty of people report the driver stuck issue right out of the box on a brand new pair, so I don't think pads are fully to blame here since the stock pelipads aren't totally sealed like a full leather pad.
Could these reportedly “new” pairs actually be open box? I purchased mine open box from Hifiman and they sounded so good out of the box that I haven’t bothered to check for stuck diaphragms. But maybe some ppl are claiming new when actually open box.

May 24, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,025 of 2,647
Dumb idea, but I wonder if running them out of phase would unstick the drivers. I hope I don't ever have to try it :D

May 24, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,027 of 2,647
I have had numerous HE6se v1 headphones, directly from Hifiman and ended up having to trade them in for the same reason 3 times in a row: stuck drivers.
If anything changed it's time based and not v1/v2 based. They did extend the warranty due to this issue but I lost my faith in the HE6se.
I've been very plugged into reviews, posts here, and friends that have them too, pretty much since they came out. I've never heard of stuck v1's. Different signatures sure.

May 24, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,028 of 2,647
When going from HE6sev2 to HE560v2 and Ananda, the former two sounded similar while Ananda has a totally different sound signature. Still, the improvement of the HE6sev2 over the HE560v2 is worth the extra money IMO.
Ananda is built different so it sounds different. Overly tall soundstage, bass lacks impact, minimal depth, thin sounding mids, bright mid highs, and worst of all bereft of harmonics. SE1 or 2 puts it down.
So what QC factor changed from V1 to V2 to cause the magnet sticking problem? Does Hifiman have an official explantion? Mods, playing bass too loudly, etc? It’s an excursion issue, no?
Might have nothing to do with a QC change.
Can you confirm it’s these before I buy? I would have thought they were HE560 size rather than the smaller HE6. Also, if they’re solid pads, might it not cause issues with the diaphragm?ADB3D93B-5D1A-40D3-A7EE-3396E84D639C.jpeg
Those fit HE-6, HE-500, HE-6SE v1, MD-4XX, HE-5LE in my experience
Yes and I find the sound signatures complementary as well (HE6SEV2 and Ananda). I would say they’re both a little on the bright side, but the brightness is different as they highlight different frequencies.

Could these reportedly “new” pairs actually be open box? I purchased mine open box from Hifiman and they sounded so good out of the box that I haven’t bothered to check for stuck diaphragms. But maybe some ppl are claiming new when actually open box.
Amen

Can you confirm it’s these before I buy? I would have thought they were HE560 size rather than the smaller HE6. Also, if they’re solid pads, might it not cause issues with the diaphragm?ADB3D93B-5D1A-40D3-A7EE-3396E84D639C.jpeg

Get a pair of XS

May 25, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #1,030 of 2,647
I printed some new grilles for mine. How do they look?

IMG_3276.jpg

May 25, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #1,031 of 2,647
Nice!

May 26, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #1,032 of 2,647
May 27, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #1,034 of 2,647
Have tried solid leather pads today instead of fenestrated Dekoni and was greeted by drivers crinkling when applying pressure on driver cups, adjusting headphones on the head, or putting them on/off. Quickly went to old Dekoni before any damage was done. Watch for this as this most likely is one of the "stuck membrane" causes.
LCD-X with similar solid leather pads has no issues whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back