= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #526 of 1,710
Well I did v1 of the mod which involved cutting the dust screen off the pad altogether. So I used some really thin pantyhose and glued that onto the plastic mounting ring.

That's what I have on my J$ pads. A very thin nylon. I like the increased micro detail but sibilance can get annoying on tracks. For electronic it's great. I kind of want something that's inbetween without choppig up the pads. More than stock Jergpads V2 but less than transparent J$ pads. I feel like these need a little bit of nudge in the high end without It becoming a problem, at least for my tastes. I'm wondering if opening the grill will achieve this.

I believe jerg has both his HE400/500 with more open grills and I'm assuming he came up with these pads using those earphones that way. Unless he can clarify.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #527 of 1,710
Just try removing the grill and listen. To me the treble does not directly change, but when I tried it, I found the sound to be a BIT more open. Not much, more subtle than pad change. A lot more subtle actually.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #528 of 1,710
Just try removing the grill and listen. To me the treble does not directly change, but when I tried it, I found the sound to be a BIT more open. Not much, more subtle than pad change. A lot more subtle actually.

Ya. I'm going to do it tonight. Just pull the stocks off and see before I get materials.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #530 of 1,710
Grill removal or at least grill fabric removal has a much subtler effect than any mods on the earpads. It (grill mod) does not change the FR per-say, more like it improves upper end detail extraction and openness which tend not to be things you measure.

For those of you who feel the default pleather dust screen filters out too much treble detail, bear in mind two things:

1) yeah try out the grill mod, or at least partially (just remove the fabric backing of the grill)

2) of course switching to something that has significantly less treble will make your brain immediately jump at the notion that you had a loss of treble detail; take some time and get to know the darker sound more. It is much more effortless and the details ARE there, just not thrown at your face. Think thinner dust screen as a racy girl who puts on a lot of makeup and gets in your face all the time, while pleather dust screen is the more reserved girl who doesn't use makeup and who you slowly appreciate.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #531 of 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2) of course switching to something that has significantly less treble will make your brain immediately jump at the notion that you had a loss of treble detail; take some time and get to know the darker sound more. It is much more effortless and the details ARE there, just not thrown at your face. Think thinner dust screen as a racy girl who puts on a lot of makeup and gets in your face all the time, while pleather dust screen is the more reserved girl who doesn't use makeup and who you slowly appreciate.

Dude you're making me want to try the thicker dust screen again, having already gone from the thicker one to a thinner one. I'll have to undo all the stitching between the pads and mounting ring, and rip off the super glue again.

Ugh damn this OCD! Somebody tell me it's fine the way it is!

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #532 of 1,710
Grill removal or at least grill fabric removal has a much subtler effect than any mods on the earpads. It (grill mod) does not change the FR per-say, more like it improves upper end detail extraction and openness which tend not to be things you measure.

For those of you who feel the default pleather dust screen filters out too much treble detail, bear in mind two things:

1) yeah try out the grill mod, or at least partially (just remove the fabric backing of the grill)

This is what I am afterl. Thanks for the info jerg and the analogy lol

Update: So I removed the grills and the difference is subtle. Still debating whether to do the whole mod. Im sure there is a positive difference, just not sure I can tell lol

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #533 of 1,710
Dude you're making me want to try the thicker dust screen again, having already gone from the thicker one to a thinner one. I'll have to undo all the stitching between the pads and mounting ring, and rip off the super glue again.

It's fine and better than jergs

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #534 of 1,710
Quote:
It's fine and better than jergs

Thanks 
tongue.gif

But seriously I like the treble the way it is, it never causes me fatigue so im good.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #535 of 1,710
Mar 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #536 of 1,710
Quote:

It is fine... But a thicker dust screen might be better, so you have to try 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back