= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Mar 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #511 of 1,710
Quote:
All those measurements are cool! I can't wait to see a competed jergpad V2 and a J$ comparison.

Next week some time, hopefully. I don't have any of the material for Jergpads lying around so have to get ... hmm, let me try to remember. Tiny sewing scissors (or maybe nail scissors with a curved end), electrical tape, superglue, velour fabric, double-sided tape, thin nylon (low denier tights?) and possibly a needle and thread to attach the velour covering rather than using tape.

I'm also tempted to measure the difference before/after the regrilling mod, but I'm quite apprehensive of that modification in terms of exposing my driver and also affecting my warranty.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #512 of 1,710
Next week some time, hopefully. I don't have any of the material for Jergpads lying around so have to get ... hmm, let me try to remember. Tiny sewing scissors (or maybe nail scissors with a curved end), electrical tape, superglue, velour fabric, double-sided tape, thin nylon (low denier tights?) and possibly a needle and thread to attach the velour covering rather than using tape.

I'm also tempted to measure the difference before/after the regrilling mod, but I'm quite apprehensive of that modification in terms of exposing my driver and also affecting my warranty.
How long is the warranty?

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #513 of 1,710
Also, it's fully reversible, unlike what I'm about to do...
[rule]
Also, can you bleach pleather and bleach + dye velour?

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #514 of 1,710
Quote:

I would actually recommend against switching the dust screen of the pleathers for thinner nylon fabric, because HE400 already has piercing treble so the thick pleather dust screen is beneficial.

Just follow my guide, you don't need superglue or nylon. The pleather dust screen stays on untouched.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #516 of 1,710
I would actually recommend against switching the dust screen of the pleathers for thinner nylon fabric, because HE400 already has piercing treble so the thick pleather dust screen is beneficial.

Just follow my guide, you don't need superglue or nylon. The pleather dust screen stays on untouched.

You are 100% correct. This was actually one of the first things I noticed when switching from the J$ to the jergpads. Treble decreases slightly taking away the sibilance, for the most part. Although I do find that there is a bit more micro detail on the J$ pads, as expected due to my transparent nylon screen but its a double edged sword. The jergpads are still quite good though.

Jerg, if I replace the grills with more open ones with a transparent nylon for dust protection will that boost the treble up a bit while still keeping the treble within reason? I want to increase the treble a bit more but still keep it less overall compared to the J$ pads.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #517 of 1,710
Quote:
Can you please explain the part 4 to me?
I really dont get it, is it just one bit of tape you put there and its done?

You do the 3 areas that are not the backvent mod area as per step 18..

18. Trace out the double-sided tape with pen, for where they will bond to the undersides of the mounting rings; do THREE per earpad, leaving ¼ of each earpad mounting ring for the backvent mod tape stacks

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #518 of 1,710
You are 100% correct. This was actually one of the first things I noticed when switching from the J$ to the jergpads. Treble decreases slightly taking away the sibilance, for the most part. Although I do find that there is a bit more micro detail on the J$ pads, as expected due to my transparent nylon screen but its a double edged sword. The jergpads are still quite good though.

Jerg, if I replace the grills with more open ones with a transparent nylon for dust protection will that boost the treble up a bit while still keeping the treble within reason? I want to increase the treble a bit more but still keep it less overall compared to the J$ pads.
I'd want to know this too, the treble did take a plunge with these...

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #521 of 1,710
Any suggestions on how to increase the distance between your ear and the driver? I have quite big ears so they touch the driver all the time (back-vent mod didn't relly help).
try to put xb700 cushions on... XD I'd make a deeper cushion though...

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #522 of 1,710
I originally did the mod with the original pleather dust screen and found that treble was a lot darker and details a little harder to pick up. I didn't like the change at all. Since then I've redone the mod with a much thinner screen, details are easier to pick up and treble is elevated slightly, just the way I like it 
biggrin.gif
 The HE-400's treble has never really bothered me.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #523 of 1,710
I originally did the mod with the original pleather dust screen and found that treble was a lot darker and details a little harder to pick up. I didn't like the change at all. Since then I've redone the mod with a much thinner screen, details are easier to pick up and treble is elevated slightly, just the way I like it 
biggrin.gif

The HE-400's treble has never really bothered me.
How'd I go about doing that?

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #525 of 1,710
Well I did v1 of the mod which involved cutting the dust screen off the pad altogether. So I used some really thin pantyhose and glued that onto the plastic mounting ring.
gotcha, gonna go buy a thong now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back