= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Feb 19, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #362 of 1,710
Quote:
Then for this mod, do I need to remove the other stacks except for the blue?

Yep, I find that just having 1/4 of the mounting ring lifted is sufficient for what the vent mod does.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #365 of 1,710
Quote:
Wow, these were your first 2 posts on head-fi in the 6 years you've joined? Haha that's pretty cool.

Yes, it's my first time post. I'm not native English speaker, so I just look around here sometimes.. for 6 years. haha.
And.. Done. I'm happy with this double-side tape mode because I had to re-adjust the position of the pad whenever I wear the headphone.
For the sound, I'm not sure I can catch the difference, but jergpad mod itself is very satisfying, so I'm very happy. Thank you, jerg!!

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #366 of 1,710
Quote:
Yes, it's my first time post. I'm not native English speaker, so I just look around here sometimes.. for 6 years. haha.
And.. Done. I'm happy with this double-side tape mode because I had to re-adjust the position of the pad whenever I wear the headphone.
For the sound, I'm not sure I can catch the difference, but jergpad mod itself is very satisfying, so I'm very happy. Thank you, jerg!!

Thanks, glad you're trying out the mod.

As for the adhesive modification I outlined above, it really just concerns 20-30Hz sub-bass extension, so you won't notice it unless you have a "before and after" sinewave sweep comparison, and perhaps "before and after" sub-bass test tracks comparison. It doesn't change anything else about the sound because it shouldn't.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #367 of 1,710
I have done the venting mod with 5 layers of duct tape, and I find the bass to be significantly decreased below some 50-70 Hz or something

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #368 of 1,710
Quote:
I have done the venting mod with 5 layers of duct tape, and I find the bass to be significantly decreased below some 50-70 Hz or something

Agreed, I found the dampening alone was enough mod for me. The vents were a step too far.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #369 of 1,710
That's fine, like I mentioned the vent mod by nature decreases sub-bass extension because it lifts the mounting rings away from full-on contact with the base surface of the headphone cups. The benefit from this trade-off is a more open sound.

By localizing the vent mod (so it only takes up 1/4 of the mounting rings on either earpad) and making sure the other 3/4 of the mounting rings are in perfect contact with the headphone cups (by the double-sided adhesives), I sought to both enhance the sub-bass extension AND to maintain the added openness that the vent mod gives.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #370 of 1,710
Quote:
That's fine, like I mentioned the vent mod by nature decreases sub-bass extension because it lifts the mounting rings away from full-on contact with the base surface of the headphone cups. The benefit from this trade-off is a more open sound.

By localizing the vent mod (so it only takes up 1/4 of the mounting rings on either earpad) and making sure the other 3/4 of the mounting rings are in perfect contact with the headphone cups (by the double-sided adhesives), I sought to both enhance the sub-bass extension AND to maintain the added openness that the vent mod gives.

:) I try each and every mod revision. Next up is the regrilling - Thanks again for all of this...

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #371 of 1,710
Taking inspiration from Beaver316, here is the result of some double-sided adhesive tape plus a pair of cannibalized HFM velours.

This definitely improves air, the velour breaks the airtight seal of the pleathers and allows the sound to breathe more (I can get a very real sense of "out of the head" imaging now, which was previously not there even with all the damping from jergpad mod). Other than that I don't notice any particular change in the sound relative to default configuration of the mod; the intimacy of the pleathers is still there, so is the clean ringing-free decay.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #373 of 1,710
Quote:
Looking good jerg. How does the adhesive velour compare to the stock velour pads in terms of feel? I used something slightly different from velour myself.

It's stock velour pad velour (note I said I cannibalized a pair of velour pads), I just used double sided tape to bond the velour to the pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back