= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #331 of 1,710
Quote:

It may have something to do with the fact that with the velours your ears are further from the driver. Some report that you get better bass when you lift the driver from your ears to create a bigger distance.

What about the instrument separation? Not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me but I get the feeling that wih velour I can hear individual instruments with better clarity, while the jergpad seems to give priority to vocals so background instruments seems slightly pushed back.

None of these are criticism of the mod, it's just a different tonality which some would prefer. Im still on the fence though. Im with you 100% about designing the perfect earpad. There's much more performance to be extracted from pad-fi, this mod proves it, we just need the perfect compromise if that's even possible.

Oh the decreased separation is because the pleather dust screen attenuates down a lot of treble, so background detail is not "over"-represented. Relatively it would sound like it has less separation than velours, but really it is just more subtle separation. I know because I have 2 sets of identical jergpads made right now, and one has pleather dust screen while the other has velour dust screen, and what you described is apparent between the two.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #332 of 1,710
Quote:
Oh the decreased separation is because the pleather dust screen attenuates down a lot of treble, so background detail is not "over"-represented. Relatively it would sound like it has less separation than velours, but really it is just more subtle separation. I know because I have 2 sets of identical jergpads made right now, and one has pleather dust screen while the other has velour dust screen, and what you described is apparent between the two.

Right I didn't think of that. So that's the reason why velours seem brighter than that jergpads. If only I had the hindsight to try a thinner dust screen before I glued these ones on.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #333 of 1,710
Quote:

Right I didn't think of that. So that's the reason why velours seem brighter than that jergpads. If only I had the hindsight to try a thinner dust screen before I glued these ones on.

I dunno, it's a bit of a trade-off. With more treble, vocals become a bit clearer but also brighter due to treble emphasis, not as smooth-sounding as the thicker pleather dust screen.

Believe it or not, I prefer the sound of the pleather dust screen by a LOT, compared to velour screen or no fabric at all. It's like a hardware EQ that just makes everything sound so natural in tonality. Sure a bit of "perceived separation" is lost, but that is a very acceptable trade for the correct timbre, to me at least. YMMV.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #334 of 1,710
Quote:
Washing? How? And what purpose would it have? Thanks for explaining.
rolleyes.gif

Washing can soften the pads, which helps with comfort and seal. Nothing too vigorous, just wet and gently squeeze out the water a couple times and let sit to dry. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #335 of 1,710
Quote:

Washing can soften the pads, which helps with comfort and seal. Nothing too vigorous, just wet and gently squeeze out the water a couple times and let sit to dry. 

Thanks..i will try that..am also looking into the fisher audio velours pads...

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #337 of 1,710
I would totally like to try this on the HE-6's that I have incoming, but turns out I'm only getting one pair of pads. I don't think I'm crazy enough to risk it. :p

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #338 of 1,710
Quote:
I would totally like to try this on the HE-6's that I have incoming, but turns out I'm only getting one pair of pads. I don't think I'm crazy enough to risk it. :p

Order a spare set of Pleathers.
Theyre $20 including shipping from AudioAdvisor.

I got a spare set so that if I ever sell my 500's I can sell them as stock and for $20 the rewards of doing this mod far outweigh the cost.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #339 of 1,710
Quote:

I got a spare set so that if I ever sell my 500's I can sell them as stock and for $20 the rewards of doing this mod far outweigh the cost.

Especially if you can improve the HE-6 a little. 20$ compared to the price of the HE-6 is not much after all.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #341 of 1,710
Quote:

Dude... I'm so broke right now. 
biggrin.gif

I can't even afford the $30 headphone to speaker cable atm lol

Maybe when I sell off my T1's after some A/B auditioning with the HE-6... :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #342 of 1,710
Quote:

Dude... I'm so broke right now. 
biggrin.gif

I can't even afford the $30 headphone to speaker cable atm lol

Maybe when I sell off my T1's after some A/B auditioning with the HE-6... :)

But u are a very happy very poor guy though
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #343 of 1,710
Quote:
But u are a very happy very poor guy though
tongue.gif

I pondered this statement once, but realized I cannot be a happy poor guy. Money doesn't buy happiness in the strictest sense, but it alleviates all those stressful things which get in the way of being happy. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #345 of 1,710
Tried the Jergmad modification steps on a spare pair of velour pads today. Wow! The result:

Absolutely terrible. Mids sound a bit less wonky and more transparent, but the overall sound is extremely fast almost to the point of being fatiguing. Actually the default velours sound worse so I withdraw that evaluation; it is relatively an improvement but on absolute terms nowhere near the balance achieved by jergmodded pleathers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back