HiFiMan HE4XX
Feb 3, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,276 of 1,381
Received my XDuoo- XD05 Basic yesterday and spent about 3 hours listening too it. Definitely a significant upgrade to going direct to the laptop.

Very happy with this purchase as it seems to pair incredibly well with the 4xx. More than enough power and the bass boost is a nice added bonus.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,277 of 1,381
I replaced it with a Blue Dragon cable from Moon Audio. The new cable gave the cans more clarity without making them bright or adding any other issues. I like them a lot.

What don't you like about the stock cable?
I dislike the rigidness of the plastic and it does not relax even after use and when it rubs against clothes or surfaces there is audible sound that can be heard.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #1,279 of 1,381
I have had my 4xx since late 2017 and put them away a year ago once the pads began to fall apart. Decided to 'use them or lose them' and bought stock replacement pads. Used them with my Massdrop CTH and SMSL SP200 and they were fine but never excited me much. Just picked-up a new to me Massdrop LCX and a balanced cable and I definitely think I found the right combo for me personally (mentioned the balanced cable to show I am using the more powerful connection, not that the cable itself makes a sonic improvement) . Sort of sounds like combining the CTH and the THX if that makes some sense. I have not looked at trying out any other planers, but now that I have the LCX I wonder if I should look into the Sundaras or ? Anyone with similar experiences?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #1,280 of 1,381
Since my original pads disintegrated after 1 year of normal usage, I have since replaced them with some Brainwavz round pads (sheepskin). However, I found that the openings for my ears were too small, such that the lower portion of the pads rested on my earlobes, causing discomfort during long sessions. I tried to "fold" my earlobes so that they would fit inside the openings but again it was not very comfortable. So today I finally replaced them with the Brainwavz round XL pads (again sheepskin) and my problem is solved! I was a little concerned that the XLs would be too large/loose, since the regular round pads were a perfect fit with the 4XX, but it's not that bad. In case it is useful to someone, here are some comparison pics.

Regular round pads

IMG_20210331_130358-01.jpeg

XL round pads

IMG_20210331_131624.jpg

IMG_20210331_131630-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,281 of 1,381
Since my original pads disintegrated after 1 year of normal usage, I have since replaced them with some Brainwavz round pads (sheepskin). However, I found that the openings for my ears were too small, such that the lower portion of the pads rested on my earlobes, causing discomfort during long sessions. I tried to "fold" my earlobes so that they would fit inside the openings but again it was not very comfortable. So today I finally replaced them with the Brainwavz round XL pads (again sheepskin) and my problem is solved! I was a little concerned that the XLs would be too large/loose, since the regular round pads were a perfect fit with the 4XX, but it's not that bad. In case it is useful to someone, here are some comparison pics.

Regular round pads

XL round pads

IMG_20210331_131624.jpg

I'm surprised you had issues with the stock pads. I've been using mine daily for well over a year now, and they are still in excellent condition. Good luck getting the new pads sorted.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,282 of 1,381
I am not sure if they've changed the stock pads since my original purchase in 2018 ... but basically the stock pads were glued onto the mounting ring by a very thin pleather lip. After about 1 year, the glue came undone and the seams started to tear so that I could see the blue foam underneath. Perhaps an isolated case (but I don't think so), and if you have no problems in the near future then I am glad for you indeed! Just wanted to share my experience, in case others need to consider replacements.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,284 of 1,381
I am not sure if they've changed the stock pads since my original purchase in 2018 ... but basically the stock pads were glued onto the mounting ring by a very thin pleather lip. After about 1 year, the glue came undone and the seams started to tear so that I could see the blue foam underneath. Perhaps an isolated case (but I don't think so), and if you have no problems in the near future then I am glad for you indeed! Just wanted to share my experience, in case others need to consider replacements.
Unfortunate, but I guess that's kind of a bit of the gamble you take with drop. I've been lucky enough to have mine since 2018 without issues. But they really didn't get heavy daily use until I started working from home more 2019. I'll consider myself lucky, as I already feel like I've gotten more than my money's worth out of them. If they bit the dust today I think I'd have a hard time deciding if I should just get them again, or move on to something else.
The Elex has always tempted me, but I don't know if I could swing the price. I'd probably just move on to the 5XX and call it a day.

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,285 of 1,381

Regular round pads

XL round pads

IMG_20210331_131624.jpg

Nice!

I went a similar route: I had gone through 2 sets of Focus A's on my 4XX--the original and a replacement set, the latter of which had such bad glue that I couldn't even install them without them tearing off. I used them for a while with some electric tape but had to finally let them go. I had done the oval shape cut on another set of left-over mounting rings (that I had originally mounted a set of Brainwavz Hybrid on), and I was looking for that oval shape again for another set that provided a closer-to-Focus A sound.

I almost went with the big boys (round XLs) but I ended up getting the Brainwavz Replacement Hybrid Memory Foam Earpads with the oval shape. They don't sound quite as good as the Focus A's but I'm pretty satisfied now and the quality compared to the Focus A's (as far as the glue thing) is off the charts..

My ears are on the smaller side and the lobes just touch at the bottom of the pads but it's almost unnoticeable and they're pretty comfortable overall. The sound is nicely balanced. Were a bear to install over the rings.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,286 of 1,381
Unfortunate, but I guess that's kind of a bit of the gamble you take with drop. I've been lucky enough to have mine since 2018 without issues. But they really didn't get heavy daily use until I started working from home more 2019. I'll consider myself lucky, as I already feel like I've gotten more than my money's worth out of them. If they bit the dust today I think I'd have a hard time deciding if I should just get them again, or move on to something else.
The Elex has always tempted me, but I don't know if I could swing the price. I'd probably just move on to the 5XX and call it a day.
Also consider the Devas (wired if you don't need/want bluetooth and have a good amp) unless sound quality is the absolute priority. They're much lighter and have less clamping force than the 4xx and despite some of the reviews I think the sound quality really is there. Not as "warm" sounding but still great, and I don't feel like taking them off after an hour or two.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,287 of 1,381
Also consider the Devas (wired if you don't need/want bluetooth and have a good amp) unless sound quality is the absolute priority. They're much lighter and have less clamping force than the 4xx and despite some of the reviews I think the sound quality really is there. Not as "warm" sounding but still great, and I don't feel like taking them off after an hour or two.
Thanks, that was more of a hypothetical "if" situation. I'm in no rush to move on from my 4XXs which are still running strong.

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #1,288 of 1,381
Nice!

I went a similar route: I had gone through 2 sets of Focus A's on my 4XX--the original and a replacement set, the latter of which had such bad glue that I couldn't even install them without them tearing off. I used them for a while with some electric tape but had to finally let them go. I had done the oval shape cut on another set of left-over mounting rings (that I had originally mounted a set of Brainwavz Hybrid on), and I was looking for that oval shape again for another set that provided a closer-to-Focus A sound.

I almost went with the big boys (round XLs) but I ended up getting the Brainwavz Replacement Hybrid Memory Foam Earpads with the oval shape. They don't sound quite as good as the Focus A's but I'm pretty satisfied now and the quality compared to the Focus A's (as far as the glue thing) is off the charts..

My ears are on the smaller side and the lobes just touch at the bottom of the pads but it's almost unnoticeable and they're pretty comfortable overall. The sound is nicely balanced. Were a bear to install over the rings.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use the ovals with another headphone (AKG K371) and they are also very comfy (fits my ears just fine). I have a feeling that the sound has changed somewhat between the different pads on the 4xx, but can't really be sure since they are so annoying to take on/off and I didn't bother to A/B them. It's more of a "gut" feeling. Overall, the XLs work nicely for me so I'll stick with them.

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,289 of 1,381
Thanks, that was more of a hypothetical "if" situation. I'm in no rush to move on from my 4XXs which are still running strong.
I'm also very happy with the 4XX. I know there are much better sounding cans around, but for the price I think the 4XX is a steal (or the 400i ver 2020). But since we're talking hypotheticals here, I personally find the Sundara more tempting than the Deva or 5XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back