HiFiMan HE4XX
Apr 2, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,291 of 1,381
Apr 2, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #1,292 of 1,381
Yes actually. Deeper bass for sure. Still unclear about soundstage (but not going to revert to check). Interestingly they seem to be able to take more volume, which is kind of nice since I'm driving them mostly from a k5 pro. That's likely due to the difference in driver distance from your ears as they're significantly thicker.

Overall though big thumbs up. I'd tried some eq previously but no need now

Update: with the change these basically run as polar opposites to my akg k702's. They're really fun to contrast to one another. The 400i is now very present in the bass, with a very juicy presentation but pretty close soundstage. The k702's show you the other side of things, significantly

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,293 of 1,381
Haven’t used my HE4XX much but pulled them out recently to use with DX3 Pro when gaming and working. By comparison I have the Sennheiser HD6XX and the Audeze Mobius as well as a handful of IEMs.
I may go TOTL later on but for now, these sound darned good. With two dogs, a cat, and a about-to-be five year old, I don’t get enough daily isolation to really appreciate anything more expensive methinks.

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,294 of 1,381
I may want to walk back my prior statement. I think the defean angled pads were a little too bass-y / cloud-y for my tastes, even though they were thick and comfortable. I ended up going with the dekoni elite perforated angled pads, which are more true to the original sound signature.

Hope I didn't cost anyone anything! Took me a while to realise what was going on. They are at least interesting, so will probably keep them around

May 15, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,295 of 1,381
Heads-up if you don't know, Drop has yet another HiFiMan collaboration called the HE-X4. It looks a lot like the HE-4XX, in fact almost identical, but a bit different under the hood--double-sided magnet array, improved headband adjustment mechanism and comes in at 420 grams vs 370 for the 4XX. Going for $129USD.

BadSeed Tech has a review:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #1,298 of 1,381
I'm terrible. I'm buying everything I need to review things I always wanted reviewers to do in one video...

I bought the 4xx, 5xx, the HE-4X, and I already have the HE6SEV2. I'll be comparing them all, with sound demos, on my channel. I don't know what got in to me, but I suddenly decided I'm going to just do those videos I always wanted to see from other reviewers. I got great mics coming in tomorrow, these headphones...who knows when (Drop shipping can be awhile!).

Wanted to give you all a heads up to what's coming. I'll post here again when the video does come (may take weeks or longer, depending on Drop shipping). If you want to see it, feel free to subscribe so you see it pop up. Or, don't sub and just wait for me to post here :) I'm happy to share either way!

Gonna include commentary, what I hear and enjoy from each - where I do enjoy some aspect or another; and I will hope to help people decide what sounds good to them instead of having to buy everything to quench that curiosity.

Jul 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,299 of 1,381
Jul 28, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,300 of 1,381
Gonna include commentary, what I hear and enjoy from each - where I do enjoy some aspect or another; and I will hope to help people decide what sounds good to them instead of having to buy everything to quench that curiosity.

Good luck! As you know its difficult to communicate the different sounds (audio gear reviewers have been trying this for decades) which is why you’ve bought all the models to compare by ear for yourself.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #1,301 of 1,381
I'm terrible. I'm buying everything I need to review things I always wanted reviewers to do in one video...

I bought the 4xx, 5xx, the HE-4X, and I already have the HE6SEV2. I'll be comparing them all, with sound demos, on my channel. I don't know what got in to me, but I suddenly decided I'm going to just do those videos I always wanted to see from other reviewers. I got great mics coming in tomorrow, these headphones...who knows when (Drop shipping can be awhile!).

Me too and I don‘t even review headphones…. although it does seem fun! especially since I’m a music teacher :)

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,303 of 1,381
Hey that’s great! I’m a teacher. Gen Ed

I can't wait to see the videos comparing the Hifiman cans. I picked up a HE-4XX which is sounding quite nice.

Enjoying their bass a lot. The speed of the drivers and the low end they push is very impressive.

Tracks like below really gets these drivers punching.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #1,304 of 1,381
I can't wait to see the videos comparing the Hifiman cans. I picked up a HE-4XX which is sounding quite nice.
Looks like it’ll be a few weeks for me.

On a family vacation for five days now…will be back to record more of the Hifiman gear ASAP when I return. The an upload maybe days after.

so actually, like a week or two and I’ll have it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back