HiFiMan HE4XX
Oct 6, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,262 of 1,381
I've been enjoying my HE-4XX for the last year, but a few months back I started to get a rattle in the left earphone. I eventually contacted HIFIMAN's customer support (warrantee still had a month left), and I got exchanged a new pair. They were very helpful and quick, and I was surprised by this. Now it seems I'm getting that same rattle in the right earphone this time. It's both irritating when you move slightly, and even leads to some distortion at higher levels. The warranty seems to have technically ended (initial purchase was last August), so I think I might be on my own for this one. I know it's not grill related, or the wire inside. The earpad doesn't affect it either. If you push it anywhere on the outside case, it kind of sounds like a soda can being bent back and forth. I haven't unscrewed it yet, as the screws are too tight (guess those aren't the culprit either). Anyone else here have this issue and know what it could be? Is it a death sentence? Should this be moved to DIY? Am I asking too many questions?

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #1,263 of 1,381
I've been enjoying my HE-4XX for the last year, but a few months back I started to get a rattle in the left earphone. I eventually contacted HIFIMAN's customer support (warrantee still had a month left), and I got exchanged a new pair. They were very helpful and quick, and I was surprised by this. Now it seems I'm getting that same rattle in the right earphone this time. It's both irritating when you move slightly, and even leads to some distortion at higher levels. The warranty seems to have technically ended (initial purchase was last August), so I think I might be on my own for this one. I know it's not grill related, or the wire inside. The earpad doesn't affect it either. If you push it anywhere on the outside case, it kind of sounds like a soda can being bent back and forth. I haven't unscrewed it yet, as the screws are too tight (guess those aren't the culprit either). Anyone else here have this issue and know what it could be? Is it a death sentence? Should this be moved to DIY? Am I asking too many questions?

This is going to be a bit long but it might help you. I'm not sure you've got the exact same problem(s) as I did but you say you've eliminated the rattling coming from the grills.

First, the soda can thing. That one has been reported a lot and it's something to do with the way ear pads on the ring create some sort of air lock between it and the main assembly. It can be fixed by installing 4 little rubber feet on the cups and then installing the ring/pads on top of this. It creates small gaps so the seal isn't there and you don't get that annoying pop/clicking when you move or press on the pad. I've just got 4 simple very small stick on furniture pads (felt) stuck on in the same way the poster (below) has and they do the trick. It doesn't affect performance and possibly even enhances it a bit. I know I'm not describing this very well but you can go to the URL below and read the poster himself and see everything else he did:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZXc05

Just by chance if you may also have a buzzing/rattling coming from inside the earcup (not the soda can thing) happening at low frequency and/or low or high volume, here's what I did:

My problem was happening at low freq/moderate volume in the right channel (around 30-90Hz). A buzzing/rattling during low bass notes, as if something was loose and responding to the sound pressure. At higher frequencies I didn't hear it. After lots of searching on the internet I found a posting on amazon.uk where the poster had had the same issue and ended up taking his entire magnet/mylar film "cookie" apart, re-assembled it and that fixed it for him. He had a 400i, a little different construction, but essentially the same procedure. He said that just the act of taking it apart and re-assembling it fixed it.

I took the same route, initially just taking it all the way apart and re-assembling but still had the problem. I let it sit for a few days then tried again. This time, when it was all the way apart I used canned air to get every foreign bit of hair and dust out of it. Then I used a dry, clean cloth to press and smooth down the mylar film on the one piece of the cookie (like you would press tape down for better adhesion), cleaned off the circular conductor and then cleaned off the magnets with the same dry cloth.

My reasoning was that the mylar film, at low frequencies and with high enough sound pressure levels, moves away from its adhesion and vibrates either against the magnets that they are adjacent to or just vibrates on the surface it's attached to. I think this is a tendency of planar headphones and probably the cheaper ones fail more often like this. After doing all of this I found that I was buzz-free on those problem cuts with low bass. It's now been a couple of weeks and I've listened to a variety of different types of music and have not been bothered by any buzzing. It's possible that given time it might start again but it's OK for now. I think it's probable that the pressing down of the film (re-adhesion if you will) solved the problem.

Like I said, this involves the taking apart of the entire assembly on the problem channel and you have to be very careful with the signal wires. I'm certainly no mechanical genius but I was determined and tried to be slow and methodical. It's really not a big deal, you just have to unscrew a lot of little black Philips head screws and then screw everything back together.

NOTE: I'll say it again, if you try this, and it really isn't that hard to do, be very, very gentle with the little black wires as you take apart the cookie and when it's lying apart on your desk.

Here's the URL for the Amazon poster with his pictures of the take apart of his 400i. Many thanks to him!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/custome...iewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00NGO1LBO#R3IU4AIQF3SAQJ

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #1,264 of 1,381
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that, if you could please email us at customerservice@hifiman.com so we can look into the problem and see how to help. BTW, you can get an extra three-month warranty if you register on our site: https://hifiman.com/warranty.

Please feel free to contact us if there is any problem.

Best regards,
April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #1,268 of 1,381
Just picked these up recently and I'm enjoying them straight out of my Dell XPS laptop, but know I'm leaving a lot on the table in terms of getting the most out of them.

I'm considering picking up the XDUOO XD-05 Basic dac/amp to power these, but haven't seen much feedback on this unit.

Has anyone tried this with the HE-4XX?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,269 of 1,381
Just picked these up recently and I'm enjoying them straight out of my Dell XPS laptop, but know I'm leaving a lot on the table in terms of getting the most out of them.

I'm considering picking up the XDUOO XD-05 Basic dac/amp to power these, but haven't seen much feedback on this unit.

Has anyone tried this with the HE-4XX?
I have the xd05 plus, and it sounds great, so I’d assume the basic would sound good too, just a little less power.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,273 of 1,381
Just boxed these up for return after a week.

They are great headphones for the money and I had no physical/build issues.
Certain types of music, they are really, really good.
But I find myself missing what I guess is midrange? Vocals seem recessed, and
after swapping cans with these, my K550 and 599's I find the 599's
better for listening enjoyment and the K550's surprisingly competitive in
a closed back all around. 4xx have been a good learning experience, the "fast" quality and
detail is a lot of fun and on some solitary vocals and with acoustic instruments
they are great, the highs are particularly cleaner than the K550's.
Not quite it for me though.
Think I might try the 58X next.

I've also learned what I suspected, that anything I listen to for any length of time, as long
as there are no glaring faults, become just fine sounding. If I hadn't been comparing
them directly to others at the same time/gear/track I may never have noticed whatever it is
that feels missing in the 4xx.

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #1,274 of 1,381
Think I might try the 58X next.
And I believe that you will not regret it...

I have both headphones and although as you correctly said in some acoustic music or some special genres one can rightfully claim that the 4XX is better technically, if you like the sennheiser timbre and tonality then 58X can be highly addictive.

Though, I think that I find better the 4XX for watching movies in my TV connected through Bluetooth with Amazon firestick and EQed with my es100.

4XX is not a bad headphone, is a good audiophile headphone bit unlucky though because the competition is really tough.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,275 of 1,381
Hello all,

I just picked up a pair of HE4xx and don't like the stock cable, looking for a good quality replacement cable that is balanced. Any recommendations?
I replaced it with a Blue Dragon cable from Moon Audio. The new cable gave the cans more clarity without making them bright or adding any other issues. I like them a lot.

What don't you like about the stock cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back