HiFiMan HE4XX
Sep 26, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #736 of 1,381
There is a thin layer of fabric (?) Glued to the inside of the grills. Pop off the grill, peel them off and reattach grills. Super easy to do and seems easy to reverse if desired.

For me, this alleviated what was initially an unbearable emphasis on the mids.
I'm a bit surprised that the fabric would make that much of a difference since with my HE400 removing the fabric didn't have any effect so I'm thinking the current fabric is less acoustically transparent than the old one since it made a difference to you.

Has anyone tried without the grill or tried a more open grill with the HE4XX? Does it help the sound stage or affect other aspects of the sound? Also, are the cups made of metal/aluminum or plastic?

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #738 of 1,381
Got to spend a couple of hours with them tonight and I’m kinda blown away! These cans deliver! Such a full sound with great separation. My first time hearing planars and hifimans and it’s a great first impression. If I had to choose between these and the k7xx’s I would take these for sure.

I haven’t done a side by side but these are very different than my Grados. Grados are their own thing. I can tell you one thing, these he4xx’s are much more fun to listen to. I had a blast tonight.

Listened to....

Zappa
Phish
Miles
Umphreys McGee
Gov’t mule
Nirvana
moe.
Dead
Rush
Allmans
LCD sound system
Snoop
Pharcyde

Everything sounded great!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #739 of 1,381
Got to spend a couple of hours with them tonight and I’m kinda blown away! These cans deliver! Such a full sound with great separation. My first time hearing planars and hifimans and it’s a great first impression. If I had to choose between these and the k7xx’s I would take these for sure.

I haven’t done a side by side but these are very different than my Grados. They’re their own thing. I can tell you one thing, these he4xx’s are much more fun to listen to. I had a blast tonight.

Listened to....

Zappa
Phish
Miles
Umphreys McGee
Gov’t mule
Nirvana
moe.
Dead
Rush
Allmans
LCD sound system
Snoop
Pharcyde

Everything sounded great!

Lots of good music there. I’ve seen seven on that list live. Enjoy the new cans. I’ve got the 400i and really like them as well. great detail and clarity with enough bottom end to get the job done and very controlled as well.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #740 of 1,381
Interesting to read the different opinions (here and elsewhere) regarding whether or not the HE 4XX has enough bass for people who listen to electronic, hip hop, or harder rock. I personally listen to all three of those, particularly electronic music and hard rock, and I still really appreciate a balanced sound and I love a good soundstage. I wonder if these'll do the trick? Reading impressions and reviews of the sub-$300 open backs, the HE 4XX seem like they'd be the best all 'round option so far.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #741 of 1,381
Interesting to read the different opinions (here and elsewhere) regarding whether or not the HE 4XX has enough bass for people who listen to electronic, hip hop, or harder rock.

I listen to alot of electronic music, (solar fields. aes dana. asura) etc. and I find the he-400i to have plenty of bass for that. They definitely do not have the low rumble of my lcd2c and are evely even ever so slightly less pronounced than my hd6xx down low, but they are more controlled than my hd6xx by far, and have more punch and rumble than my hd 558.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #742 of 1,381
I listen to alot of electronic music, (solar fields. aes dana. asura) etc. and I find the he-400i to have plenty of bass for that. They definitely do not have the low rumble of my lcd2c and are evely even ever so slightly less pronounced than my hd6xx down low, but they are more controlled than my hd6xx by far, and have more punch and rumble than my hd 558.
I appreciate this comparison. Thank you. I've heard good things about the HD 58X lately as well.

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #743 of 1,381
Closer to the Heart from Different Stages by Rush. Sounds phenomenal through these cans. The attack from geddy’s bass sounds so good.

Pick attack on guitar and bass come through nicely here. Especially on bass players that play with picks. Like Mike Gordon (phish) Phil Lesh (GD) and Allen Woody (mule, abb)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #744 of 1,381
Very pleasant cans. Bass under 65 Hz or so does fall off. That can be improved probably with pad changes. My technology was putting a small diam hose into a circle around the edge of the pad at the base of the pads, that seems to buck up the bass a bit. It also adds a bit of height and every now and then it seems brighter than stock (posted pics earlier in this thread). there are probably a few methods to do this.

They were my main can for 3-4 months, now I use them for portables on a DAP which they are really great at. They scale down to running on a DAP which would kill some big buck cans for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #748 of 1,381
Very pleasant cans. Bass under 65 Hz or so does fall off. That can be improved probably with pad changes. My technology was putting a small diam hose into a circle around the edge of the pad at the base of the pads, that seems to buck up the bass a bit. It also adds a bit of height and every now and then it seems brighter than stock (posted pics earlier in this thread). there are probably a few methods to do this.

They were my main can for 3-4 months, now I use them for portables on a DAP which they are really great at. They scale down to running on a DAP which would kill some big buck cans for sure.

I agree. These run great straight out of my iPod as well. No complaints. An amp definitely brings em to life obviously. Very versatile set.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #749 of 1,381
So I did some side by side listening last night with my Grados and my HE4XX. One thing that really stands out is how much better the Grados are at representing the timbre of an instrument. Was listening to Mingus Ah Um while comparing and the Grados were the clear winner.

What I loved about the xx’s was the richness of the toneality and how it feels like the music is hugging my brain. Just a fun headphone all around.

Oh and the soundstage is of course much better on the HE4XX’s

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #750 of 1,381
So I did some side by side listening last night with my Grados and my HE4XX. One thing that really stands out is how much better the Grados are at representing the timbre of an instrument. Was listening to Mingus Ah Um while comparing and the Grados were the clear winner.

What I loved about the xx’s was the richness of the toneality and how it feels like the music is hugging my brain. Just a fun headphone all around.

Oh and the soundstage is of course much better on the HE4XX’s
What ear pads are you using with your Grado headphones? I prefer G-pads over the L-pads mainly due to comfort but the larger G-pads adds a bit of sound stage and fullness to the overall sound. My Grado's are modded (RS2e, SR225e, SR60 with dynamat and sorbothane) so this also has an influence in the sound with G-pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back