HiFiMan HE4XX
Sep 23, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #723 of 1,381
Can someone confirm a few things re the Massdrop HE 4XX's:

1. The current shipping HE4XX's are now officially sporting 3.5mm plugs at the headphone cups? Is this recent?

2. Any build quality improvements re the brackets popping off at the earcup connectors?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #724 of 1,381
Can someone confirm a few things re the Massdrop HE 4XX's:

1. The current shipping HE4XX's are now officially sporting 3.5mm plugs at the headphone cups? Is this recent?

2. Any build quality improvements re the brackets popping off at the earcup connectors?

Thanks for any info!

#1: got mine about 3 weeks ago they are 3.5mm at the cups. It is a recent change.

#2 no issues with that yet.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #725 of 1,381
Does anyone know of a video that shows how to remove the grills from this headphone?

Thanks

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #726 of 1,381
#1: got mine about 3 weeks ago they are 3.5mm at the cups. It is a recent change.

#2 no issues with that yet.

Thanks for the info!

I just ordered the 4XX's and am hoping that I get a set without issues. I'm curious, as others are, that with the advent of the 3.5mm cup jacks that they may have had a look at the issue of the bracket attachments to the cups. Some Massdrop folks in the 7+ weeks-ago-purchase-timeframe are having the whole bracket holder part on the cup coming out. It seems that if you have the screw alone unscrew itself out of the holder you can use a bit of loctite on the screw and screw it back in but if the whole thing, holder and all, comes out of the cup, I don't know if there's a good method to reattach it to the cup body. Someone stated that they thought that the bend in the brackets should have slightly less outward angle to them to relieve some of the pop-out pressure on the cup attachment. I'll be curious, going forward with the new 3.5 sets, if they have less reports of this issue.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #727 of 1,381
Does anyone know of a video that shows how to remove the grills from this headphone?

Thanks
While not a video I think this might help:
Hifiman grill-1.JPG Hifiman grill-2.JPG Hifiman grill-3.JPG
use a finger nail or small screw driver to gently bend the ring inwards so you can pull out the small tabs that hold the rings on the cups

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #729 of 1,381

Thanks

While not a video I think this might help:

use a finger nail or small screw driver to gently bend the ring inwards so you can pull out the small tabs that hold the rings on the cups

Yeah, once you pull your first one off, you'll be amazed how easy it is.

Forgive my ignorance, and lack of time at the moment to read the thread in its entirety, but what's the purpose of removing the grilles?

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #730 of 1,381
On the older HE400, HE400i (SMC jacks w/ back plate), HE500, HE6 and HE560 removing the grill seemed to help the sound stage a bit, get rid of some ringing that some heard and give a slightly more airy sound. With the newer HE400i (2.5mm jacks and no back plate) removing the grills didn't have the same effect as it did on the older models since it might have been the back plate that was the issue for some. I haven't heard the HE400S and HD4XX so I'm not sure if the grill mod does anything for them.

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #734 of 1,381
Forgive my ignorance, and lack of time at the moment to read the thread in its entirety, but what's the purpose of removing the grilles?

There is a thin layer of fabric (?) Glued to the inside of the grills. Pop off the grill, peel them off and reattach grills. Super easy to do and seems easy to reverse if desired.

For me, this alleviated what was initially an unbearable emphasis on the mids.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #735 of 1,381
There is a thin layer of fabric (?) Glued to the inside of the grills. Pop off the grill, peel them off and reattach grills. Super easy to do and seems easy to reverse if desired.

For me, this alleviated what was initially an unbearable emphasis on the mids.

Plus, it just looks cooler. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back