1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
Next

Last
  1. ngs428
    PM sent to further this discussion

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Festive56
    Just received my 4xx’es from Massdrop yesterday. Had a quick listen on my Marantz SA 8005 SACD player’s headphone output before starting burn in. They do seem a bit bright and distant as crazywipe stated before. I’m hoping 100 hours will bring them around. I’ve also got an Audio-GD R2R 11 coming on Tuesday. I’ll post up my listening impressions once I get them both burnt in. Fingers crossed....

3. ngs428
    Could be. They did it to increase durability.

4. crazywipe
    Keep burning it, the midrange will become fuller and clearer. Hope you'll like it!
    I am still thinking about the cable... Maybe it's worth spending a bit much and DIY a Neotech.

5. dgindlespergerd
    9 months in with mine and they just sound better. There low cost enough to run around with and not worry to much so I wear them often.
    For the price I really dont think you can beat them. For me even at twice the price they are really hard to touch, except for the M1060 it is hard to beat them for less than a grand.

rafaelo likes this.
  6. BrotherKathos
    I've got the 400i and with around 200 hours on them I do agree they are very good value . I picked mine up from audio adviser for $200 and got the dekoni fenestrated lambskin pads for them bringing the total to $270. The comfot level they now offer and the sound quality is superb. I'm getting the HDXX in a couple of days and am curious how those will stack up. I'm expecting them to have a bit more bass and sound more relaxed up top?

7. dgindlespergerd
    I need to try the 6xx. I did not like the HD800, but jave been told the 600 is better for most folks.

8. bagwell359
    See below.

In my collection (see sig) I have the HE-4XX (plastic tube mod to increase low bass) as my #2 can, and the HE-500 (fazor, ether angled pads) as my #1. But that is deceiving. However the HE-500 crushes the 4XX in every way I can think of:

low bass, midrange (magic), treble, depth, sound stage, ability to convey heft and emotion of music, low level details (fingering, back plane of the sound stage, turned pages, coughs, etc.), dynamic realism.

I had the 4xx before the 500, I wrote a lot of nice things about it here, if I never heard the 500 I still would be, but I've had the 500 for 7 months and average 2.5 hours a day, and have spent maybe 3 hours with the 4xx in my desktop that whole time. I do like it very much hooked to my old FiiO X3 when I hit the walking trails in the woods, but eyes closed fully immersed in the music, no 4xx.

It's like MLB baseball team vs. a short season A ball team. I cannot imagine anyone with a strong front end thinking they are close. It's really not a matter of opinion or taste - I'm sure to get whacked for violating rule #1 here - but it's a matter of fact.

Expensive cable for the 4XX? No, buy a pair of used HE-500's and sell the 4XX if you have to and use stock cable - far better return for your $$.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    trellus likes this.
  9. chimney189
    I'm really glad that you enjoy the HE-500 so much! I couldn't get over the weight of it though. I had a similar experience with the LCD-2 series. The more time I spend in this hobby the more time I realize how important comfort it (it took awhile!).

rafaelo, DavidA and omniweltall like this.
  10. golfinggino
    I like hifiman products I have owned the HE-350 / 400s / 400i / 4xx, if I had to chose one of these it would probably be the 400s. About a year ago I picked up the HEX V2 and I have stopped looking at high end full size open cans as the HEX are that good. I still like trying out cheaper headphones that sound good, I just recently picked up the he-350 for about $40 and put some hm5 velour pads on them and took the sticker off the inside of the headphones and they sound pretty good - great for a pair to leave at work and not work if any steals them lol

11. Joong
    He-500 will become a legend.

12. bagwell359
    I just lean back in my recliner, and the weight isn't a real factor, even if it was awful I'd bear it for the sound. I dealt with LP's for 45 years, dealing with a slightly heavy can isn't anything compared to that to get great sound.

13. bagwell359
    Already is.

14. Theabs
    Went on the Venture web page, a bit confusing trying to pinpoint which cable for which HP. They want a gear code (?) entered?

rafaelo likes this.
  15. FastAndClean
    they are a legend

First

Back
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
Next

Last