Hifiman HE300 Vs. AKG K550
Jul 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

omgdiddles

New Head-Fier
I'm down these two cans, anyone have any experience with both of them and could offer some guidance. I'll be mostly running them through a FiiO e17 from my iPod, but also through my MBP. I mostly listen to blues and rock, but I need the bass for some r&b as well.. 

Thanks

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 13
The HE-300 is not a very neutral nor good sounding headphone.  It sounds distorted, slightly tinny, and the over all sound signature would not last more than 1 track on my setup.  The AKG K550 is awesome sounding, but has one comfort issue.  The headband is very sharp so if you do decide on the K550 you may want to invest in some more padding for the top center of the headband.

Take a look at the charts below:

K550
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK550.pdf

HE-300
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE300.pdf

See how the HE-300 is not very flat especially toward the treble in the frequency response.  This gives it a very uneven sound.  Comparing the 300 Hz square wave responses also reveals that the HE-300 does not reproduce the harmonic frequencies of 300 Hz very well indicating poor vocals and instrumentation.  The K550 300 Hz square wave response is almost ideal for a dynamic headphone.  Now look at the Total Harmonic Distortion ( THD % ).  See how the HE-300 is all over the place and above 1% well passed 1 kHz?  That is exactly what I heard when I ran them through the paces.

If you want to go to an HE headphone go up to the HE-500.  Those are an amazing headphone and will probably be my next purchase otherwise the K550 will do just fine.  I could listen to just about any track with them and be pleased.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 13
I have the HE300 and IMO is a great sounding can, better than the Senn HD580/600. I see charts and they are tempered by what I hear, I go with my ears over the charts but that is just me. BTW, I do not use the stock cable instead I use the OCC HE6 cable terminated in balance 4Pin configuration.

As far as the K550 I cannot comment since I have not heard them.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
The HE-300 is not a very neutral nor good sounding headphone.  It sounds distorted, slightly tinny, and the over all sound signature would not last more than 1 track on my setup.  The AKG K550 is awesome sounding, but has one comfort issue.  The headband is very sharp so if you do decide on the K550 you may want to invest in some more padding for the top center of the headband.

Take a look at the charts below:

K550
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK550.pdf

HE-300
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE300.pdf

See how the HE-300 is not very flat especially toward the treble in the frequency response.  This gives it a very uneven sound.  Comparing the 300 Hz square wave responses also reveals that the HE-300 does not reproduce the harmonic frequencies of 300 Hz very well indicating poor vocals and instrumentation.  The K550 300 Hz square wave response is almost ideal for a dynamic headphone.  Now look at the Total Harmonic Distortion ( THD % ).  See how the HE-300 is all over the place and above 1% well passed 1 kHz?  That is exactly what I heard when I ran them through the paces.

If you want to go to an HE headphone go up to the HE-500.  Those are an amazing headphone and will probably be my next purchase otherwise the K550 will do just fine.  I could listen to just about any track with them and be pleased.

The HE300s got a revision 2 a long time ago, and InnerFidelity updated that:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE300Rev2.pdf

Looks a fair bit better than rev 1 you linked.

I'd be interested in how their CSD waterfall plots compare, AFAIK the K550's do poorly on that.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 13
I see many people quoting charts and while I appreciate the technical aspect of them, I don't ever pull out a chart when I listen to music. For me, a hp sounds pleasing or it doesn't. Secondly, the early release of this hp did not sound good. That chart is not of the newer revision. This is a nice sounding hp and I'd pick it all day over the k550.

gL!!

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 13
HE300 > K550 

due to massive flaws on the K550 side. -> isolation issues, not enough padding on the headband, HUGE treble-spike, resonance.

BUT the build quality and the design of the K550 is great.
(If anyone has a defect pair, PM me, I want to insert a decent driver and dampen them)

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I have the HE300 and IMO is a great sounding can, better than the Senn HD580/600. I see charts and they are tempered by what I hear, I go with my ears over the charts but that is just me. BTW, I do not use the stock cable instead I use the OCC HE6 cable terminated in balance 4Pin configuration.

As far as the K550 I cannot comment since I have not heard them.

mrarroyo,

Please, please, please never change your avatar!

To the OP:  Can't comment on the HE300, but the K550 is a terrific sounding headphone.  It's very clear and precise, with bass that's both controlled and deep (when called for) that has a great headstage and is easily driven.  If you like a more colored or lush sound, you'll not like the AKG's. 

Cheers.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
mrarroyo,

Please, please, please never change your avatar!

To the OP: If you like a more colored or lush sound, you'll not like the AKG's. 

Cheers.

actually this is just wrong in every way possible.
Who was this person who ever said the K701 or K550 are less colored or... lol, neutral.

How can the K550 with boosted mid-bass, recessed mids and this mountain of a treble-spike called neutral?
Typical German-Bathtub-Sound, U-shaped, or smiley shaped if you like.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Who was this person who ever said the K701 or K550 are less colored or... lol, neutral.

How can the K550 with boosted mid-bass, recessed mids and this mountain of a treble-spike called neutral?

It seems we hear things differently.  To me, the 550s sound a lot like my CK10's, which, IMO, is a very neutral-sounding IEM.  The AKG's obviously have a much larger headstage and the bass has a bit more slam when called for, but yeah, I hear them as being totally the opposite of lush and warm.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Don't want to be the dick here, but they do play music quite tunefully and that's all that matters and what German headphones usually lack. Also, what mid-bass boost? I'll take resonance over monotonic reproduction any time. (I'm not saying a flat frequency response equals monotonic) I'd not mind that the K550 were damped for a smoother treble, but I think people make out the resonance be too big a deal. Or I must listen at such low volumes that it doesn't disturb me...

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 13
AKG, are (were) Austrian though.  I was refering to the sound-characteristic which is basically like most newer Beyer's rather traditional German.
Well, it's not exactly a midbass-boost... more a lack of mids which triggers the same results as a mid-bass boost plus nasty treble. Dampening would be interesting indeed.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
AKG, are (were) Austrian though.  I was refering to the sound-characteristic which is basically like most newer Beyer's rather traditional German.
Well, it's not exactly a midbass-boost... more a lack of mids which triggers the same results as a mid-bass boost plus nasty treble. Dampening would be interesting indeed.

Yeah I think I understood :)

I'm quite insensitive to variations in tonality. I do notice them between headphones with a reference, but can always get used to a presentation, as long as there aren't any huge anomalies. And they have to have good pitch articulation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back