Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 21, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2,641 of 5,252
Agree with the above in changing out the Topping stack. How exactly did you put in this Kleenex? I thought the HE1000se was too bright as well the first time I owned it with a SS setup, but now with an R2R DAC and warmish tube amp, the sound is near perfect for my ears. If you get that WA22...you might end up loving the HE1000se more than your firstborn child!

Hahaha... with Wa22 and good tubes it's good but the weekend that I spend with He1000se and He1000v2 and a few 300b and KT88 custom amps is just pure delight. So much so I've both a custom KT88 and a 300b on order now. The Wa22 will sadly be used as a spare.

Apr 22, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #2,642 of 5,252
I’ve had the HE1000se for a few days now purchased from Donato over the weekend. Great seller btw. Couple things. The squeaking REALLY bugged me. I put a drop of silicone bike chain lube in each area. No more squeaking. Second the treble is a little bright. For example the high hat on Sam smiths dancing with a stranger is definitely fatiguing/borderline piercing. I put in a single ply Kleenex and bam it’s perfect for me. I absolutely love these headphones. The clarity and detail is amazing. The sub bass is phenomenal. I currently have a topping 90 stack which I’ll change out to warm things up a touch. The ocd in me won’t allow me to have Kleenex in my headphones forever. Looking at a bifrost 2 to start...
My treble either (somewhat significantly) softened through burn in or my ears /brain adjusting in

Was still there but not as “sharp”

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,643 of 5,252
Agree with the above in changing out the Topping stack. How exactly did you put in this Kleenex? I thought the HE1000se was too bright as well the first time I owned it with a SS setup, but now with an R2R DAC and warmish tube amp, the sound is near perfect for my ears. If you get that WA22...you might end up loving the HE1000se more than your firstborn child!
You’re killing me!!! Going to get the R2R first. Then who knows...

Apr 22, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #2,644 of 5,252
a question---can anyone compare the bass response of the SE with the Verite Closed? I love the VC's, but my only caveat is a softned attack inn the bass, and a bit too much of a tail afterward. The only reason I mention this is that my previous decent headphones were the Audeze LCD i 4's. The VC kills them on every other parameter, but the note envelope (acceleration and decay) were insanely good on the i4's. I'm a professional jazz bassist and design and manufacture uber high end spealkers for bass players. I use professional quality eq (Audirvana with FabFilter eq) so I can tame high end if needed. But I can't change note envelope in the low end. Any thoughts?
btw--my current setup is the Schiit Bifrost 2 into the Auris HA2SF or the 220 MAX

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,645 of 5,252
a question---can anyone compare the bass response of the SE with the Verite Closed? I love the VC's, but my only caveat is a softned attack inn the bass, and a bit too much of a tail afterward. The only reason I mention this is that my previous decent headphones were the Audeze LCD i 4's. The VC kills them on every other parameter, but the note envelope (acceleration and decay) were insanely good on the i4's. I'm a professional jazz bassist and design and manufacture uber high end spealkers for bass players. I use professional quality eq (Audirvana with FabFilter eq) so I can tame high end if needed. But I can't change note envelope in the low end. Any thoughts?
Without EQ, the bass quantity of the HE1000se is less than the VC, but the HE1000se does EQ very well with a bass boost. Regarding the attack and decay, I definitely think the HE1000se would be an improvement over the VC, particularly if you didn't have a high-density wood type. I actually recently sold off a VC because the decay was too much for me. My VC was in ash wood, which is fairly soft, still not as soft as the stock monkeypod wood.

Sure there may always be "better", maybe with the Susvara or Utopia or Abyss Phi TC, but I'm very happy with the immediacy that the HE1000se provides to musical notes. In comparison to the i4 and the VC, I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed though, particularly for string instruments and live ensembles. I think you'll also be very impressed with the soundstage.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #2,646 of 5,252
I have the leopardwood which is one of the harder ones. Frequency resonse means little to me---I can EQ that.It's the immediacy of attack and decay that is important to me. Don't get me wrong---the VC's are astounding.But let's say a waliking bass line---I find that I have to lean in a bit (aurally) to discern pitch and that little bass-drum like attack of the notes. Again--with the i4's it was just so---there----pop pop pop. But not even vague3ly in the ballpark of the VC's in every other parameter.
and I am a soundstage fanatic

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #2,647 of 5,252
btw--my current setup is the Schiit Bifrost 2 into the Auris HA2SF or the 220 MAX
As a Bass player the IEMs for your are the UE 11 Pros. They are great

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,648 of 5,252
I have the Tansio Mirai Zodiacs (12 BA's per side) which are wonderful.. I'm reviewing the Elysiums right now which are wonderful. I'm pretty set in the IEM department. I also have the JH 13's from when I was a beta tester for them

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #2,649 of 5,252
Are you sure that was not the hekse vs the hekv2?
or could it be about the arya versions where there may have been changes like that made?

Afair all HEK variants and the Ananda received that design update (+3.5mm on the HEKv2). Susvara "only" got 3.5mm.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #2,650 of 5,252
He1000se sonic presentation will never be the same as an Audeze LCD4. I see them as complimentary. That's why I am getting a LCD4 next week to pair with my He1000se.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #2,651 of 5,252
Did the LCD-4 receive the 2021 treatment yet?

Apr 22, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #2,653 of 5,252
I have the leopardwood which is one of the harder ones. Frequency resonse means little to me---I can EQ that.It's the immediacy of attack and decay that is important to me. Don't get me wrong---the VC's are astounding.But let's say a waliking bass line---I find that I have to lean in a bit (aurally) to discern pitch and that little bass-drum like attack of the notes. Again--with the i4's it was just so---there----pop pop pop. But not even vague3ly in the ballpark of the VC's in every other parameter.
and I am a soundstage fanatic
I think the HE1000se is worth a listen from all that you've brought up so far. Also the VO (particular the denser ironwood) had more immediacy without as much decay/reverb as the VC, so I'd recommend checking out the VO if you have a chance too. In the end, I still sold my Ironwood VO for the HE1000se because there was even more immediacy and note texture with the HE1000se, plus the HE1000se had a noticeable wider soundstage.

The caveat being my current setup includes a high-end tube amp (Eddie Current Studio Jr) driving the HE1000se, plus some modest EQ via Roon. I do have a nice R2R DAC as well (Spring 2 KTE), but even my previous cheapo DAC sounded good through the Studio Jr and the HE1000se. Curious to know what your DAC and amp setup would be.

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,655 of 5,252
I think the HE1000se is worth a listen from all that you've brought up so far. Also the VO (particular the denser ironwood) had more immediacy without as much decay/reverb as the VC, so I'd recommend checking out the VO if you have a chance too. In the end, I still sold my Ironwood VO for the HE1000se because there was even more immediacy and note texture with the HE1000se, plus the HE1000se had a noticeable wider soundstage.

The caveat being my current setup includes a high-end tube amp (Eddie Current Studio Jr) driving the HE1000se, plus some modest EQ via Roon. I do have a nice R2R DAC as well (Spring 2 KTE), but even my previous cheapo DAC sounded good through the Studio Jr and the HE1000se. Curious to know what your DAC and amp setup would be.
My amp is the new Auris HA2SF. It's fantastic. My DAC (soon to be replaced) is a Bifrost 2. I'm looking at the Audio-Gd R7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back